• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Völkl Deacon V.Werks

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im weirded out by the fact that they seem to have kept the power of the regular deacon 84, but so much quicker edge to edge.

can anyone explain that technically? adding carbon to stuff usually makes me not like it, but v-werks seems to have it figured out, I'm also guessing this is carried over to new mantra m6?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: @Philpug and I swapped out between the Deacon V.Werks and the K2 Disruption MTi on some superb Mt. Rose groomers. I started on the Disruption and then to the Deacon. The Deacon is perhaps a hair slower edge to edge (it is wider, so no surprise there) but pulls you into the turn more easily. Short turns, long flowing turns, all so fun. It is stable at the speeds I had it going, whether running flat or turning. It did kick my butt on some hard chalk bumps with hard chalk and scraped off between them. The flex is there but I think they are very torsionally stiff. I just don't have the chops to regulate the edge angle quickly enough to move easily between the changing conditions so I was hooking up then unhooking to the point of feeling like it was my first time on skis. However, on the groomers...MONEY!

ondra

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm trying to work out what it means that (as per Phil's review at the top), have very small sweet spot and unlike the Deacon 84, are rated all power, no finesse. So some people who can ski the Deacon 84 will have some difficulty with these? They are less forgiving? They are less happy at low speeds than the 84s? And/or one has to work harder with them/will get tired sooner?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's pretty much the exact same ski, but with some more finesse. Slightly lower weight, and some more torsionally stiffness, so marginally harder to ski perhaps, but still very easy.

You have to be a pretty huge ski nerd to tell the difference, but the v-werks is quicker edge to edge and "feels" like a skinnier ski in that area as it adds quickness. If you have a race background you will tell, if not, you probably never will.

I've owned both pairs and skied them back to back, also had friends ski them back to back, most actually favor the regular version as it gets knocked aroung marginally less, but a "good" skier wont notice as he has his angles and edges dug in.

They are both happy at same speeds, low or high.
You will not get tired of one sooner than the other.
You dont have to work one harder than the other (but you can rip side to side marginally, say 1-5%? faster on v-werks, hence harder)

If you have $$$$$$$ you pick the v-werks, if not you pick the regular. its win win.

Attachments

• 2022-03-16 20.49.05.jpg
    2022-03-16 20.49.05.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 23

ondra

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It's pretty much the exact same ski, but with some more finesse. Slightly lower weight, and some more torsionally stiffness, so marginally harder to ski perhaps, but still very easy.

You have to be a pretty huge ski nerd to tell the difference, but the v-werks is quicker edge to edge and "feels" like a skinnier ski in that area as it adds quickness. If you have a race background you will tell, if not, you probably never will.

I've owned both pairs and skied them back to back, also had friends ski them back to back, most actually favor the regular version as it gets knocked aroung marginally less, but a "good" skier wont notice as he has his angles and edges dug in.

They are both happy at same speeds, low or high.
You will not get tired of one sooner than the other.
You dont have to work one harder than the other (but you can rip side to side marginally, say 1-5%? faster on v-werks, hence harder)

If you have $$$$$$$ you pick the v-werks, if not you pick the regular. its win win.
Thanks - very helpful!

Sponsor