• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They also updated that anyone who buys a season pass before Nov 30th will be able to use the same pass 2022-23, regardless of any number of days they get on it this season.
That's awesome.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's not looking too great for Sierra. As previously communicated, the entire West Bowl area is not going to open. But just saw that Grandview Express, the main chair to front side summit, is also down and awaiting replacement cable from overseas.

They also updated that anyone who buys a season pass before Nov 30th will be able to use the same pass 2022-23, regardless of any number of days they get on it this season.

That's a bummer. Out of their control. I'm wondering if the pass deal going forward to the following season is to increase cash flow for the fire damage repair.
I feel badly for them. :(

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a bummer. Out of their control. I'm wondering if the pass deal going forward to the following season is to increase cash flow for the fire damage repair.
I feel badly for them. :(
Yes, they are also giving three options for anyone who already bought a 2021/22 season pass-
1) Keep season pass for 2021/22 & 2022/23 season, and donate $50 rebate to Employee Fire Recovery Fund
2) Keep season pass for 2021/22 & 2022/23 season, and receive $50 rebate
3) Full refund of pass

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

"Maynard appears to have taught briefly at Santa Clara University and Sonoma State University, where a Gary Maynard was listed as a lecturer in criminal justice studies specializing in criminal justice, cults and deviant behavior. He is no longer with either school."

:(

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, down here in SoCal, we are having ripping strong Santa Ana winds rn. Edison has issued a preventative shut off event..... so my power is out....and we are supposed to be hosting Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Praying that the power is back on in the morning!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still no power.... plan B is in effect. We took everything over to my mom's this morning.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Additional solid information provided about what the 2 suspects were doing. Apparently shooting guns (some illegal types) in an illegal location may have sparked the Caldor fire. The lower Sierra Nevada below national forest elevations has many places where shooters fire weapons. Often piles of bullet casings and objects they bring to blast. Although some are considerate and lawful, most don't bother to clean up that as a enthusiast community reflects their careless inconsiderate attitudes. Let's hope prosecutors do more than was done with the illegal hunter that started the Rim Fire.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope all our friends in Colorado are safe. 100 mph winds are whipping the wild fires. That has to be terrifying for those involved.

A bunch of discussion/links/pics/maps in the Colorado thread, starting with this post:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Horribly sad. A niece with her child lives just a few miles east. Similar unexpected high wind blowing embers senario to the October 2017 Tubbs Fire that destroyed 5643 structures deeply into the urban zone of Santa Rosa.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump for a refreshing news story about Caples Lake Resort opening before the 4th of July weekend, after surviving the Caldor Fire.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is now a Wildfire 2022 thread HERE. Any new 2022 fire info please post there.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink