• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pulled up an air quality map for the country to get some perspective. The blobs of poor air quality in upstate NY and New England are due to the western fires. Air here in PA was smoky this AM but has since cleared out, but the heat/humidity remain. The black balloon is Reno; when I pulled up the map I had marked Reno has my location.
09E4917F-F6F5-4D7A-9DF9-ABB0B84A6A73.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Take half the money we give to countries that don't like us much, anyway.

2. Split it between 10 companies: 5 leaders in drone technology, and 5 leaders in fire suppression technology.

3. Stand back and watch American tech genius and capital solve the forest fire response and spreading problem.

Of course, this only addresses fire response. Fire reduction is another topic altogether.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Drove past a 13000+ acre fire just outside Thompson Falls, MT on our drive home from northern Idaho (where a fire had started near Priest River, 20+ miles from where we were camping.)
130BE930-24BC-4E6B-874C-94B64EEDE3B5.jpeg

The smoke in the air well past Missoula was oppressive.
23D0068F-6D5C-42ED-81A3-2BFF81F31461.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
We have had days in Wis, that have been super smoky because of the Canada fires. Hoping areas get some rain.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Take half the money we give to countries that don't like us much, anyway.

2. Split it between 10 companies: 5 leaders in drone technology, and 5 leaders in fire suppression technology.

3. Stand back and watch American tech genius and capital solve the forest fire response and spreading problem.

Of course, this only addresses fire response. Fire reduction is another topic altogether.
2. Drones are already being used in fire suppression. I’m curious what uninitiated uses you see for drones. Also boots on the ground have been, and proven to be, the greatest effective ‘technology’ for fire suppression. Again, I’m curious what tech advancements you imagine might improve the effectiveness of suppression methods.

But I like your idea of taking money from countries that don’t like us much. Which ones?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2. Drones are already being used in fire suppression. I’m curious what uninitiated uses you see for drones. Also boots on the ground have been, and proven to be, the greatest effective ‘technology’ for fire suppression. Again, I’m curious what tech advancements you imagine might improve the effectiveness of suppression methods.

But I like your idea of taking money from countries that don’t like us much. Which ones?

Absolutely. Not like it's my own, original idea. ;) Just thinking we need to get to the next level or two, and quickly. So, with the up front understanding that I'm no expert in the area, here is my macro-concept:

1. A surveillance net of some kind that can spot fires ridiculously quickly. Like "campfire, campfire, campfire, huh, probably too big to be a campfire".

2. Drone dispatched that can definitively verify that observation.

3. Big Bad Drone(s) dispatched that can extinguish the fire in some way I can't even imagine at this point.

It's time for this to be a major priority. Funding from Big Brother, solution from American brains that are not budget-constrained.

Let's please not get into that. Thanks.

Agreed. In fact, I'll amend that to "take whatever money is needed from some marginally effective programs because the Western AQ map is just flat out unacceptable, and needs to be fixed NOW".... @dbostedo feel free to amend my post if you see fit.

Which I'd do, if I could edit my original post (which dang near every other forum platform I know of allows for).

With regards to the related topic of forest management, I happen to know that some senators from both sides of the table are discussing fast changes in forest and fire management (Daines and Feinstein, and probably numerous others).

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Tom K. This one really sticks out. 3. Big Bad Drone(s) dispatched that can extinguish the fire in some way I can't even imagine at this point. The possibility of a larger drone capable able to remotely deliver fire depressant/retardant to an exact target in functional amounts could be such a game changer in fighting fires. Could evolve into a much safer and faster way to fight fires in the wild or an urban setting.
Would not replace boots on the ground but to control the scale in the early hours of a fire before those boots get there could really change the scale of need for those boots.
It could be like having a rain storm on demand.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/IF10244.pdf

Most wildfires are human-caused (88% on average from 2016 to 2020),although the wildfires caused by lightning tend to be slightly larger and burn more acreage (55% of the average acreage burned from 2016 to 2020 was ignited by lightning).

Here in California, during most years, human caused wildfires dominate though every several years severe dry lightning storms rise and start massive fires. The main driver of human caused wildfires is increasing population and infrastructure in fire prone areas where we humans ought not live, especially about coastal chaparral and inland mountain foothills. Banks, financial investment groups, and all their real estate buddies bought up vast areas of land in The West and their investors still need to sell whatever if they are ever going to retire to play golf in Palm Springs or Palm Beach. Thunderstorms with lightning are common at high elevations in the Sierra Nevada, however most of those areas are at or above timberline where fires burn small areas.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. This one really sticks out. 3. Big Bad Drone(s) dispatched that can extinguish the fire in some way I can't even imagine at this point. The possibility of a larger drone capable able to remotely deliver fire depressant/retardant to an exact target in functional amounts could be such a game changer in fighting fires. Could evolve into a much safer and faster way to fight fires in the wild or an urban setting.
Would not replace boots on the ground but to control the scale in the early hours of a fire before those boots get there could really change the scale of need for those boots.
It could be like having a rain storm on demand.

You are my brother from another mother on this topic. Exactly what I've been thinking. :beercheer:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I pulled up an air quality map for the country to get some perspective. The blobs of poor air quality in upstate NY and New England are due to the western fires. Air here in PA was smoky this AM but has since cleared out, but the heat/humidity remain. The black balloon is Reno; when I pulled up the map I had marked Reno has my location. View attachment 138574
I just looked it up today
Crazy
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.43.59 PM.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have had days in Wis, that have been super smoky because of the Canada fires. Hoping areas get some rain.

And here I was, just about deciding it was time for a road trip to Duluth, to sample all the trails they have now (and did not, when I lived nearby 35 years ago).

But.......AQI = 147.

Going to have put a pin in that idea!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I was, just about deciding it was time for a road trip to Duluth, to sample all the trails they have now (and did not, when I lived nearby 35 years ago).

But.......AQI = 147.

Going to have put a pin in that idea!
:geek:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to go for a bike ride at 11am. Cold front coming in from the west brought along horrific smoke. I thought for sure it had to be a new local fire. Apparently not. It’s from the CA fires. We’ve had smoke off and on all summer here. It’s sad that this is the new normal, these mega-fires.
11417E4B-A1AA-4522-B481-9C4D912EE647.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm so removed from the 15 years I lived in Southern California but we've had our fair share of poor air quality from the fires out west recently and it blows my mind it travels that far. Last week I went to speak and had some rasp and I'm like ok where is the Mila Kunis voice coming from...... Ah poor air quality, fires out west.................. It's unreal. Our head of ski patrol at Magic goes out west every year to do his part with the fires. He's very busy these days unfortunately.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
It’s straight up nasty in Tahoe currently!! Left the windows open and woke up with burning sinuses and watery eyes around 4am. AQI here in Tahoe vista was registering at 500 all morning. Dixie fire is well on its way to 2nd largest fire in California history. Cup is half full though.. we’re only dealing with smoke not fire.

Middle of the afternoon at the corner of N* drive
59E91698-8185-4CCE-A346-0F429E5827BF.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I started to see the smoke line as we came through Parley Canyon, and followed it all the way home.

Cantankerous

Booting up
Skier
Thought you might want to know--two big fires in Parley Canyon, just out side of Park City, --the tow fires are about half mile apart--Summit Park and Pine Brook are evacuated. Lots of smoke and ash. Moving pretty rapidly. Hopefully it will be contained. Not do too much damage. We're about 5 miles away--no evacuation orders yet--and I don't think there will be. Stay tuned.

Sponsor

Staff online