• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Are you talking about a recent fire or the Cerro Grande fire from around 20 years ago?
20 years ago.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
What is the current status of the Caldor fire?
Close to 70% contained & over 200,000 acres but won’t be “caput” till it pours rain or dumps snow. Resources are moving out & although some areas are still under evacuation warning many areas have been lifted & folks are moving back in. Local LTBMU forests are opening at midnight, seems like things are getting back to normal.
Amazing effort & containment by all the firefighting agencies involved!
36640D0A-202A-474F-A564-DBB6DE039AE4.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Close to 70% contained & over 200,000 acres but won’t be “caput” till it pours rain or dumps snow. Resources are moving out & although some areas are still under evacuation warning many areas have been lifted & folks are moving back in. Local LTBMU forests are opening at midnight, seems like things are getting back to normal.
Amazing effort & containment by all the firefighting agencies involved!
View attachment 142390
Definitely not "caput" in a literal sense. Hot spots will persist for months even after the rain and snow come and the firefighters leave. But as an existential threat, caput.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Very good news. Crossing fingers that the SoCal fire season is uneventful, because it's that time of year for those to start up.
Looks like a couple of fires on the west slope of Sequoia NP, east of Visalia which may be where our Utah haze came from yesterday. Seems like only a few small fires in SoCal so far.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks like a couple of fires on the west slope of Sequoia NP, east of Visalia which may be where our Utah haze came from yesterday. Seems like only a few small fires in SoCal so far.
This weekend, a broad range from BC to somewhere in Northern California will get some real rain. That doesn't speak to SoCal, but it is a start toward putting to bed numerous long burning fires.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After almost a month of unhealthful air in UT from migrated CA fire smoke, the air is now clean. I’m back on my bike and stairmaster and it’s positively joyful. I will never take clean air for granted again and the issue has changed me politically.

Sponsor

Staff online