• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Possible PSPS or is it PSOM? due to extreme fire weather.

NV energy which supplies power to Truckee & most of Lake Tahoe area has announced
a possible PSPS this Sat-Sunday.

Oops this is not clear ? The Sierra Sun says Truckee is included.
NV Energy says just Incline Village & the Nevada side of Tahoe.

PSOM is their jargon for what CA calls PSPS.
Maybe the Nevada crew can figure this one out !

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

NV energy which supplies power to Truckee & most of Lake Tahoe area has announced

Yeah, with the rains are coming winds. Let's hope for lots of rain, no sparks, and no PGE started fires.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier

I got the text alert from NVE Safety Alert (text message) yesterday and today in Incline Village, for PSOM (Public Safety Outage Management)

Yesterday it said- Possible outage on 9/19/21.
Today it said- Possible outage on 9/18/21 at 8 pm until 9/19/21 at 8 pm.

More info with maps of affected areas at http://nvenergy.com/psom

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I got messages from both the South Tahoe public utility district and liberty energy/California about the possible PSPS. The sewer guys want everyone to conserve water as they will be running on generators and probably can’t keep up with regular use.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Some good news is that CA-88 re-opened between Jackson and Kirkwood although I hear it’s still slow. So you no longer need to take longer I-80 or very winding CA-4 to get to/from South Lake Tahoe. US-50 is still closed.

I’m at winery in Sierra foothills where they have a Woodstock-era cover band tonight and Jefferson Starship with Mickey Thomas tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Very good news. Crossing fingers that the SoCal fire season is uneventful, because it's that time of year for those to start up.
National Forest closures have been extended in Southern California through September 22.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
National Forest closures have been extended in Southern California through September 22.
Tahoe National Forest and all Norcal NF's except El Dorado reopened last night -2 days early.[Wed]

Closure of some forests in Southern Cal remain & are extended.
Yes
Modified camping & campfire rules now in TNF. No dispersed camping. Campground use is ok.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
this is kind of a bummer because the Tahoe mountain area which was not affected by the fire is closed. A lot of South Shore locals were thinking they could at least ride and hike there when they returned home.
On the other hand it is also awful close to my place and if the powers that be deem it a potential hazard then I’m fine with keeping people away. I am just afraid that this is a blanket closure. :huh:

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I got the text alert from NVE Safety Alert (text message) yesterday and today in Incline Village, for PSOM (Public Safety Outage Management)

Yesterday it said- Possible outage on 9/19/21.
Today it said- Possible outage on 9/18/21 at 8 pm until 9/19/21 at 8 pm.

More info with maps of affected areas at http://nvenergy.com/psom

"NVE Safety Alert: Public safety power outage management watch for your PSOM zone is CANCELLED."

Got this just now

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, not much word on that fire threatening the Sequoias coming into our news except about the General Sherman tree. That is really sad and I hope they can be protected.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A couple of images from the article

1632176450167.png

Some tress get a small wrap of fireproof blanket.

1632176392549.png

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, not much word on that fire threatening the Sequoias coming into our news except about the General Sherman tree. That is really sad and I hope they can be protected.
That would be ironic if a tree named "General Sherman" were to burn (hopefully that won't happen).

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sequoias and Redwoods have very thick bark that's naturally very fire resistant.

Yes, true. And fire is integral to the species IIRC. I just hope they can save the bigger ones at the very least.
Yes, but the recent fires are burning more hot than what the species is used to. 7,000 to 11,000 sequoias died in last year’s Castle fire. NYT story.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but the recent fires are burning more hot than what the species is used to. 7,000 to 11,000 sequoias died in last year’s Castle fire. NYT story.
Not what I wanted to hear. :(
This is motivating me to drag @utskier on a roadtrip this summer to visit a lot of areas in CA that I grew to love when I lived there. Sequoia is first on the list.

Sponsor

Staff online