• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I made my first trip to Tahoe since 2nd week of July. AQI readings of 164 and 148 for South Lake Tahoe Mon and Tues, worried me a little, but it was better Wed and much better after that. I had a couple of obligations near Foresthill and E of Auburn on my way up before joining Truckee friends for early dinner Wed evening where it was breezy and refreshingly in low 70s. I mountain biked N* on Thursday, then attended last Music of the season at Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge where they gave a local Fire Captain the mic before the music started. He thanked everyone for the great evacuation they made and got a lot of cheers. Usually this music series ends in late August, but since last concert was cancelled due to Caldor Fire, two bands joined forces and put on a great show, going past scheduled end time to play "Feelin' Alright'. The only fire I saw that night was the Tiki torches they light for the 6-8 PM show. My South Tahoe friends all had blankets, while I was fine in shorts, sandals, jacket and a bit of Zin.
2542TikisSunset.JPG
2548Band@Lakeside.JPG

I had obligations in San Jose Friday late afternoon so I got out of cabin before 10 AM after draining water so I don't have to make emergency trip in what looks busy for me next couple of month. There was a lot of ash in cobwebs around cabin windows that I knocked down and a little on driveway. Neighbor said it was a lot worse before rain a couple of weeks ago.

Smoke level in town of South Take Tahoe was very low, but there were pockets of it towards High Meadows (S of Heavenly) and around Echo Lake. Highway 50 had signs warning about "Multiple" (places with traffic) "Controls", but I did not have any stoppages due to all the fire-related activity along and off the edge of road. Speed limit for first 25 miles from Meyers was posted at 45. I was stuck a couple of cars behind someone slower.
First picture is burnt trees on South side of 50, just W of Echo Summit (not Pass!), near where I parked and hiked to Lake Audrain a few years ago.
2563SWofSummit.JPG

Next picture is hill above Twin Bridges where ground cover burnt, but some trees may be OK. Some of Horsetail Falls is right of center and Mt Ralston is to right. Last picture is Lovers Leap where it was hard to tell how much had burnt. I don't think I've ever seen American River so low.
2570HorsetailFalls1900w.JPG

2571LoversLeap.JPG

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Also saw this: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021...inds-damage-to-chairlifts-at-sierra-at-tahoe/ that includes "The Nob Hill lift and the Short Stuff lift sustained some damage. The extent of the damage is unclear at this time but given the potential danger of a damaged chairlift, it is important to exercise extreme caution. Neither of these lifts would be considered primary chairlifts at Sierra. That said, when the resort is crowded, Nob Hill is a great way to access some steep tree skiing."

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Colorado Sun article on wildfire mitigation efforts near the Monarch Ski Area.

“If you treat the right 5% of your acreage, we can reduce our risk of catastrophic wildfire by 50%,” he said. “That was a huge realization and really validated by the science.”

https://coloradosun.com/2021/10/06/monarch-pass-wildfire-mitigation/

Fascinating video of the Finnish forestry machine removing the dead spruce trees...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A few summers ago Sun Peaks contracted a Spyder type backhoe to widen and thin out some dead standing trees on a double black diamond run. At the time it was the only type backhoe in B.C. It looked something like the one pictured below:

1633538671449.png

The ability to have the cab swing on a level plane on a very steep slope makes this type of machine unique.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Colorado Sun article on wildfire mitigation efforts near the Monarch Ski Area.

“If you treat the right 5% of your acreage, we can reduce our risk of catastrophic wildfire by 50%,” he said. “That was a huge realization and really validated by the science.”

https://coloradosun.com/2021/10/06/monarch-pass-wildfire-mitigation/

Fascinating video of the Finnish forestry machine removing the dead spruce trees...
I wish Summit County would follow such a plan. The number of beetle-killed trees along I70 between Eisenhower tunnel and Dillon is staggering. I'd hate to see a wildfire there which has so much fuel that it would most likely be devastating.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm hopefull that the last few fires will be out as the fall precipitation increases.
The smoke in our area has been gone for the most part since mid September.
This is encouraging.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
After two months and one week (and thanks to some rain and snow), the Caldor Fire is now fully contained (but not out) after burning over 220K acres, the 15th largest fire in California I heard on news. See https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/caldor-fire-not-out-but-100-contained/

In other California fire news, on last Friday 10/15, a prescribed burn in the Santa Cruz Mountains between Morgan Hill and Watsonville got out of control on an 87-degree day. This was named the Estrada Fire after retired Cal Fire Battalion Chief Greg Estrada's ranch where "They planned to burn some 20 acres Friday, but reduced the size of the burn as the day went on." The fire burned 148 acres, but no homes and 174 people who were evacuated on Fri. were allowed to return on Sat. See https://goodtimes.sc/santa-cruz-new...-on-estrada-fire-questions-linger-about-burn/

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ugh, This is going to be a crazy mud slide time with all the rain we're getting.

We have standing water in our landscape stone in the front of our house which we've never had in 11 years.
2C642F00-E3C9-4ADF-B8F1-EF6E3E9869CF.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We apparently have a low spot. We have been doing g a lot of back yard work so the front yard is pretty beat.
20211024_110259.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I imagine Lake Tahoe is going to take on a rather unfortunate shade of brown or gray.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
After getting the original alert on our emergency radio, I have not actually heard any reports of actual slides in the Glass Fire zone. We were kind of happy to discover that our emergency alert radio works though. It has sat there silently for months and we wondered. Not that we actually want to hear it! We are very close to the Glass fire zone, but not directly in its path.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
According to the morning news, the Dixie fire is officially 100% contained as of today.
I remember when it first started, they thought they'd have it contained by the first of September.
Just crazy!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
It's not looking too great for Sierra. As previously communicated, the entire West Bowl area is not going to open. But just saw that Grandview Express, the main chair to front side summit, is also down and awaiting replacement cable from overseas.

They also updated that anyone who buys a season pass before Nov 30th will be able to use the same pass 2022-23, regardless of any number of days they get on it this season.

Sponsor