• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 ~ 16th Annual at A-Basin in May Event

James

Out There
Instructor
5210A07A-4DC6-4F42-B064-1556B0CE99CB.jpeg
Last day of the trip at Abasin. Skis of the day. @Tony S on Volkl Blaze, @mdf on the Kastle Fx104, me on the slaloms.

3C0EA7F1-CD61-4351-B382-13A82C58EA88.jpeg
With mdf on Palli lift early. How I avoid the sun. Goggles plus sunglasses plus hood. Otherwise I’m puking by 1pm.

C5439207-168D-4FC6-9F29-AE8EC9E23B14.jpeg
Wiggle next to West Wall

2AF3DAB5-A4F0-4886-8766-0FB0608A1AC1.jpeg
Palli lift when the clouds and wind came in. It ran very slowly. They closed the Palli area pretty early as it hasn’t frozen overnight for 3 days.

8D982D02-841F-4E6A-8A9A-E83956AFF698.jpeg

F92CF714-5F52-4C0C-979A-E8CDD55D8680.jpeg
Mike below East Wall Traverse

0DDB06CD-4625-4567-B7C4-26441F3F6AE0.jpeg
Tony below East Wall Traverse near rope.

2BC2F8ED-130A-4715-9F51-8C2BBCFF9302.png
Mike below King Cornice

5DD10135-1DFB-4DF5-B5F1-2F6ECA854749.jpeg
Tony on King Cornice

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When are you guys going to do the photo shoot of jumping off the cornices/lips(?) … still need to get back there to try a jump so that my bases show in the pics…

Mike below King Cornice

Tony on King Cornice
Well we tried. With the slow snow we misjudged how much run-in was needed to get enough speed at the lip, and then getting the photo timing right is always hard. Tony took a couple photos too... maybe there are some bases there....

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say that A-Basin looks like more fun than Steamboat was (at least when I was there in February). I’ll have to check it out if I go back to Colorado.
Couple of quick thoughts: Arapahoe Basin starts at about elevation 10,500' with about 1500 skiable acres and has quite a bit of terrain above treeline. It's known for excellent steeps. Steamboat tops out at about 10,500' with about 3000 skiable acres and is famous for good tree skiing and very fun intermediate terrain. This past winter was not a good season for Steamboat snowwise. The extremely high elevation of A-Basin helps with snow retention in lean snow years.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well we tried. With the slow snow we misjudged how much run-in was needed to get enough speed at the lip, and then getting the photo timing right is always hard. Tony took a couple photos too... maybe there are some bases there....
I took some video. It came out okay. Unfortunately when it comes to dropping cornices all three of us suck. At least we did today. I think @mdf won the big air contest with about a Manhattan phone book between his skis and the snow. James skied off of one lip absolutely beautifully, like, you know, you'd expect a top L3 to do it. :rolleyes: Obviously I don't have pics of my pathetic attempt, but I will blame mdf for discouraging me from coming in too hot, and myself - even more - for listening.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I had to miss all the fun. Stupid final exams. But, it’s the last round so hope to join again next year.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the Kastle Fx104...
So we set up the demo bindings in the parking lot and went off to ski. After one run, I say "there's something wrong with these bindings. They are rattling."
So we check the demo binding settings seem correct and there is no play in the boot-to-binding interface. Then james skis next to me and listens..
"That’s not the binding. It's the ski tip! They all do that. You'll learn to ignore it!"

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What a great trip! Many thanks to those who skied with us and those who entertained us in the evenings!
Wish I'd been there with you guys! (Though the week before was awfully nice too. ) Thanks for the real-time trip report. :)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
A great trip. Three powder days basically. Sorry more people didn’t make it. Great time skiing and staying with @mdf and @Tony S . Skiing with @Gary Stolt , @Drahtguy Kevin , @ski nurse, @fair to midlin. And everyone else that came out.
View attachment 168821
Back to the streets.
Saw you guys at Loveland on Saturday. Sorry I didn't make it over to take a few runs. Suuuuper windy up on the ridge, but the skiing off the cat was worth it.

Reactions: nay

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would hardly call the FX104 VINTAGE! They are only a few year old... (2015?)
Yes and no. True, only seven or eight years old. But the design was already dated (or maybe "conservative" if you liked it) at the time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
3C0EA7F1-CD61-4351-B382-13A82C58EA88.jpeg

With mdf on Palli lift early.
Notice how @mdf has adopted the goggle-on-helmet-then-ignore thing.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A great trip. Three powder days basically. Sorry more people didn’t make it. Great time skiing and staying with @mdf and @Tony S . Skiing with @Gary Stolt , @Drahtguy Kevin , @ski nurse, @fair to midlin. And everyone else that came out.
View attachment 168821
Back to the streets.
Well, the bad news is that the airline left my ski bag behind again. (Second trip in a row, different airlines. This time it was a nonstop flight. The bag was never put on the plane in Denver even though I was two hours ahead of boarding time. Another poor woman's bike met the same fate. We were Baggage Office Buddies.) The good news is that it was a) on the way home and b) end of the season. :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online