• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Current tram is too small. Makes no sense to put small tram cars on a new tram at say 30-40. Maybe such a car doesn’t even exist. No way in hell snowmaking is going on a 11k peak. The amount of electricity needed to pump water that high would be INSANE!

So it makes a lot of sense actually. Today the line was like 40-50 people long all day.

I just got back from Europe. There is plenty of snowmaking and grooming happening there at very high altitudes with very steep terrain. Every steep peak with a tram had at least one groomed trail down with snowmaking. Most have no trees so I am sure they have the same wind issues. Most of it is all underground wiring and piping using fan jet guns. There are very substantial permeant bollards cemented to ground for the winch cats to hook up to along at the top of the steeper runs. So everything is possible.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^ i’m not sure what line you were in but when I skied by, noonish, it was one of the longest tram lines I’d ever seen.

It will be hard to outgrow the new tram at +\~ 70 people. The guest who wants to ride scenic who will only typically go once will have an affordable ride and the average day user rarely goes more than 2X. Brilliant strategy !
The iconic bucket has two days to go till the fat lady sings, what an amazing run its had and what an incredible season its been.
Right - the constraint for skiing from Lone Peak will no longer be tram size, it will be capacity to ski off the top, both from offloading and snow quality.

Reasonably sure there's a cabin that can be right sized, and I'm guessing Big Sky calculated what they could practically fit on the summit at a time, which is probably more in the summer, and went with that, and will use capacity limits as needed.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just bought passes for next year. Does that mean it’s time for a new thread?

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just got back from Europe. There is plenty of snowmaking and grooming happening there at very high altitudes with very steep terrain. Every steep peak with a tram had at least one groomed trail down with snowmaking. Most have no trees so I am sure they have the same wind issues. Most of it is all underground wiring and piping using fan jet guns. There are very substantial permeant bollards cemented to ground for the winch cats to hook up to along at the top of the steeper runs. So everything is possible.
Almost anything is possible but I didn’t see much grooming or snow making anywhere at Chamonix.
I also know Stuff Happens.
Mid season folks were saying the North Side was skiing great, until one day the wind blew, the snow slid and the Snow Field was closed for days.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s not needed though. And that is the point. Last thing we need is a bunch more Jerry’s going down lone peak.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It’s not needed though. And that is the point. Last thing we need is a bunch more Jerry’s going down lone peak.
That's the crux of the issue from my own observation. Granted, I've only been to Big Sky 3-4 times. So my observation has a high personal bias.

Big Sky doesn't get huge amount of snow. Far below that of the Utah mountains. And if you don't count the tram accessed terrain, it's relatively tame. Not Park City tame, but definitely not Snowbird/Jackson caliber. So why are people willing to pay exorbitant lodging cost to ski Big Sky when they can stay at Sandy and ski Snowbird at 1/3 or a quarter the cost?

Because it's substantially less crowded than Jackson and Snowbird! I skied Snowbird then Big Sky back to back on a trip this year. The contrast is glaring! Powder last way longer at Big Sky than at Snowbird. That's why.

Lone Peak is the prime of that difference. The terrain is unique up there. The snow is far better up there precisely because there're not a lot of skiers side-slipping down it.

Grooming it would remove all that's unique about it.

I can understand a bigger tram being a good compromise.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Turned page to next season:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online