• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm glad I did Taos this season! :) Even though I left a fair bit of ptex on the mountain. ;)

That said, I'm not sure I'll buy an IKON next season. And if I do (buy one), I may even opt in for the full pass. So the fact Taos got moved to the plus pass may not really matter either way.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ Always a slightly dodgy day on the mountain once the Dirtbags start their preparty . . . which I believe starts as soon as their run on Cron's is done . . .

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had some great days skiing at Big Sky this weekend, no epic powder days but the spring sun was nice. 1679280848359.png

Skied Dakota for most of the day on Friday, kind of forget that lift lines exist skiing over there. Typically I ski the other side of the mountain more so it was fun to ski some different terrian, snow was pretty good but a bit chunky in spots. 1679281221136.png

Finished the day with a few laps down Challenger... 1679281414089.png

Saturday morning started out a bit on the cooler side, skied some cruisers on Andesite to get warmed up. Kind of skipped around the mountain, but did find some good chalky snow in spots but mostly took it easy since I had to drive part of the way home after skiing. Fortunately the roads were great, most of ND was shutdown after I left on Wednesday due to the winds.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah, it's pretty heavily traveled and regularly plowed, as is the highway up the mountain. Of course in some conditions it can be pretty hairy to drive either . . . but it does seem to be a priority route to plow
More likely to be closed between Belgrade and the canyon due to glaze ice than snow in the canyon or lone mtn trail.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
My understanding is BSR took out loans from LMLC to purchase MB ski area. LMLC owns EVERYTHING around MB, including the Madison Base area, all future development, and all future ski trails in and around MB property. BSR has 0 ownership of anything on MB minus ski trails. I believe even the residential access trails may be MBC/LMLC owned directly and not owned by BSR.

Plans are in the works to significantly restructure Madison Base area. Doing so will only increase the pressure on BSR to figure out the Six Shooter.
I understand a new lift serving the top of Horseshoe/Lookout Ridge is likely. Its main purpose may be to serve new developments but it will help spread out the uphill traffic.
All may be more clear in the near future. A new 3D topo model is going into the LMLC office in meadow village.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are weekends at Big Sky significantly busy? Or not noticeably?
It's not crazy like you might see near Denver. While locals may be more likely, a good portion of BS skiers are from out of town on vacation so weekends not really an issue. Or have work flexibility to ski when they want. IME it's a but busier, but not to the point it matters. Crowds more likely to show up on a powder day.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
I understand a new lift serving the top of Horseshoe/Lookout Ridge is likely. Its main purpose may be to serve new developments but it will help spread out the uphill traffic.
All may be more clear in the near future. A new 3D topo model is going into the LMLC office in meadow village.
TBD. Rumor is, that could be a new private ski area going in west of horseshoe.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
This late in the season weekends might have even less impact.
Today was beautiful weather and great snow with no crowds. A month ago it might have been busier.
Conditions on Hellroaring were thigh deep this week. North Summit was awesome too.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
It's not crazy like you might see near Denver. While locals may be more likely, a good portion of BS skiers are from out of town on vacation so weekends not really an issue. Or have work flexibility to ski when they want. IME it's a but busier, but not to the point it matters. Crowds more likely to show up on a powder day.
Was busier on Tuesday on Lone Tree then SW, RC, or main base. All the homeowners were out in force surfing in MB.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
N
The tram is moving to a pay per ride system for 23/24...
Not completely true the Gold and Double Black passes include the tram which isn't a lot different than this season. The "pay per day" system when introduced a few years back really cleared out the enormous tram lines. How many tram riders did more than 3-4 tram laps in a day?

Last edited:

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right now you pay per day(unless you have a pass with access), so it is a big change if you just want to do a lap or two. I'm curious how much one ride will cost, last week it was $80-90 a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.