• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems like horseshoe will be the cut off trail for ski over access. How will they control access? Warning signs like YC? Gates? RFIDs?
When Moonlight was separate, didn't they have signs saying basically if you ski down from here you'll need a separate lift ticket?

Of course, if someone ignores the sign what do they do? "Here's the number for Big Sky Taxi" or "You can hike"? Or maybe it just comes within the BS lift ticket . . .

Assume it's something like the lift along the orange line I drew in?

Attachments

• Moonlight-Basin-Property-Map.pdf
    441.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Right now you pay per day(unless you have a pass with access), so it is a big change if you just want to do a lap or two. I'm curious how much one ride will cost, last week it was $80-90 a day.
Probably a positive change for most, and on good days means that people may do a run but not try to do tram laps.

Kind of a bummer this is what it's come to, but I get why it has.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
N

Not completely true the Gold and Double Black passes include the tram which isn't a lot different than this season. The "pay per day" system when introduced a few years back really cleared out the enormous tram lines. How many tram riders did more than 3-4 tram laps in a day?
And to fill out the pass picture, as they went on sale today (adult prices, lower for juniors/seniors):
Gold+Ikon Base: $2550
Gold (unlimited everything): $2250
Double Black (unlimited, except 25 tram rides): $1880
Black (unlimited, no tram): $1350
Blue (No Sunday/holidays): $819
Green (No weekends/holidays): $589

So I guess the implicit minimum tram ride price is ~$21, as the 25 rides with double black cost $530.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
And to fill out the pass picture, as they went on sale today (adult prices, lower for juniors/seniors):
Gold+Ikon Base: $2550
Gold (unlimited everything): $2250
Double Black (unlimited, except 25 tram rides): $1880
Black (unlimited, no tram): $1350
Blue (No Sunday/holidays): $819
Green (No weekends/holidays): $589

So I guess the implicit minimum tram ride price is ~$21, as the 25 rides with double black cost $530.
Wish they let you upgrade to Ikon Full. Base is useless at JH.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMO the per ride will be a $20 minimum, you can’t get a coffee and a donut here for $10 :ogbiggrin:

The data they have that the average daily rider is 1-2 laps and willing to pay from upwards of $90 / day that’s $45 a lap ?

Again it will be a sliding scale depending on date, holiday or not, bluebird etc.
Stoked that the Ikon is an add on to the gold, with 100+ days here, why travel
elsewhere? We’ve never used them since they started adding them.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMO the per ride will be a $20 minimum, you can’t get a coffee and a donut here for $10 :ogbiggrin:

The data they have that the average daily rider is 1-2 laps and willing to pay from upwards of $90 / day that’s $45 a lap ?

Again it will be a sliding scale depending on date, holiday or not, bluebird etc.
Stoked that the Ikon is an add on to the gold, with 100+ days here, why travel
elsewhere? We’ve never used them since they started adding them.
Probably true re price of tram, but wonder how much it might go up from there? $40? $50? I could also see a lower price for scenic rides, especially late in the day (though I think capacity is going to be limited only by what ski patrol determines the Peak can handle).

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wish they let you upgrade to Ikon Full. Base is useless at JH.
What does the JHMR 10-day pass cost?

If I could justify a gold pass (i.e. I lived in BS) I'd be hard-pressed to justify going somewhere else to ski as well, especially if I had Ikon Base and could go most places for 5 days. Living the life even without JH.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
What does the JHMR 10-day pass cost?

If I could justify a gold pass (i.e. I lived in BS) I'd be hard-pressed to justify going somewhere else to ski as well, especially if I had Ikon Base and could go most places for 5 days. Living the life even without JH.
I’m doing the collective this year and Black Diamond BS pass. GT and JH are too good not to visit yearly.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Boyne says the average rider does 2.5 runs per day. My experience tells me most guests that ski the tram are most interested in ONE trip. They want to experience the high alpine, take pictures, look into the chutes, see the Tetons, the Missouri River Headwaters and ski down. My guess is one trip $35-$40. Part of the new tram includes a glass enclosed observation deck. It may cost a little less for sightseeing without skiing.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skiers will still be limited to the number that the snow can support but the other 50 spots on the new tram could be sold to sightseers without skis. My guess is some folks who go up now to ski will just go for the ride if it’s cheaper.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Skiers will still be limited to the number that the snow can support but the other 50 spots on the new tram could be sold to sightseers without skis. My guess is some folks who go up now to ski will just go for the ride if it’s cheaper.
Agreed. I'm guessing $15-$30 depending on the day.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Boyne says the average rider does 2.5 runs per day. My experience tells me most guests that ski the tram are most interested in ONE trip. They want to experience the high alpine, take pictures, look into the chutes, see the Tetons, the Missouri River Headwaters and ski down. My guess is one trip $35-$40. Part of the new tram includes a glass enclosed observation deck. It may cost a little less for sightseeing without skiing.

Slightly surprised they're not offering both a per-ride and per-day rate. Why not offer a per-day of 3.5x per-ride?

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m surprised they’re not extending the season until the first weekend in may. The snowpack is extremely deep.

Last edited:

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Crowds are already down significantly despite great conditions.
BS has late season specials to entice customers but they run out of skiers before they run out of snow.
Also late season staffing is a challenge. Employees tend to bleed off over the last month.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Crowds are already down significantly despite great conditions.
BS has late season specials to entice customers but they run out of skiers before they run out of snow.
Also late season staffing is a challenge. Employees tend to bleed off over the last month.
Aren't that the truth with almost all western mountains?

"Run out of skier before they run out of snow". "Late season staffing is a challenge".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online