• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Been to BS a few time but never got to ski Lone Peak because of the conditions.
We are going out again at the end of Feb and hope to finally get to ski it.
I assume Liberty Bowl is usually the easiest way down?
Is it easy to get off line and ski into trouble?
Do I need a Beacon to ski that?
Any other tips?
Thanks!

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Any other tips?
Thanks!
No beacon necessary for Liberty Bowl. Liberty or maybe Marks are easiest. The traverses and signage can be a bit tricky at times depending on visibility. Take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any other tips?
Thanks!
Depending on the snow Liberty can be the easiest way but the southern exposure can create crusty snow so Lenin or Marx may be better options if the snow is powdery. Liberty usually has green disks on bamboo marking the line and typically if you see "fresh lines" those can be a thin skiff of snow on scree. Even with good visibility the high alpine at Big Sky is not well marked so it can be disorienting to first timers, take up BS Slarver on having a guide. Before you go to Big Sky let me know and I am also happy to show you around. I work out of state occasionally and not always in Big Sky.

Beacons, shovels & probes are always a good idea when skiing the high angle bowls in MT. The picture below shows some slides around the Challenger chair on 17 Green and Big Rock Tongue earlier this month. Challenger slough Nov 2022.jpg

NickD

Putting on skis
Skier
Today was one of the most epic days I can remember... EVER

This post is part of a series and is quick update on local trail and condition reports. This is intended to be a crowdsourced effort. Other locals and visitors are encouraged to contribute their own experiences to this post and to make their own posts.

note : This does not come from Big Sky resort, Boyne, or ski patrol. Ride at your own risk. If you want to learn the mountain or improve your skiing, please consider booking a lesson!.

Overall Conditions
Today was one of the most epic days of skiing I can remember. We got an unexpected 8-10 inches of fresh powder on top of an already amazing base. If there was a total of 100 people on the mountan, I’d be surprised. Literally everywhere was skiing better than most of the mountain for the last few years.

Can I joint point out that its not yet December?!?!

Andesite
Ram Charger

*Everything off Rammy was insanely good. *

• Tippys & Ambush: Picture this: 3:45PM and there’s still soft untracked on the edge of Tippys. You get to the bottom of Tippy’s and realize no one has touched Ancient Tippys. Now imagine bombing the Ambush / Ram lift line and loving it. Yeah!
  • Africa & Safari: What bumps? All I skied was car sized pillows.
Southern Comfort

*It opened! check /u/skiguy4484’s review *

Swift Current Area
*Everything off Swift Current 6 was just chef’s kiss.

Bacon Rind is open, deep, untracked….still.

Magic Carpet is completely fulled and really fun. *

• CJ & Lobo - The very top of CJ got a little skied out by the PM but other than that, CJ, Lobo and Stump Farm were just soft and creamy and fun!. The conditions remained super light and skiable, likely because of the low traffic.
  • Soul Hole - What can I say about Soul Hole today? It brought tears to the eyes. It was so soft, so light, and so quiet. The turns come easily when the snow is like this. And you can explore some of the edges that are often not covered enough to be skiable.
  • Rice Bowl & Buff Jump - The very top of rice bowl has some exposed rocks. Enter closer to the new tram terminal for a cleaner entrance. Head over to the trees on skier’s right for untracked and steep. Buff Jump is creamy, and frankly just a playground right now. The last face before rejoining crazy horse is like someone dumped cool-whip on the hill.
  • Tango If Soul Hole was an emotional experience, Tango is Part 2 of that experience. The new glading makes the top part still feel like a classic tree run before it opens into a nice double fall line. If you keep skier's right, you'll be rewarded with deep, soft, mostly untracked steeps and deeps.
Powder Seeker and The Bowl
*The Bowl was quite nice but remains the supporting role and not the star of the mountain. *

• The Bowl: The Gut is skiing perfectly. You can charge it and use the push piles like soft bumps or a launch point for a leaper turn. You can make GS turns or short turns.
Mary’s Bush was untracked… let me say that again… untracked into the afternoon. Great spot for face shots.

• Upper Morningstar:
Challenger
*Challenger is continuing to fill in and ski really well. The entrance to Moonlight and Comet are more filled in than any time in the last 3-4 years. The bumps in Moonlight are soft and chargeable. Burt’s is full of soft snow and steep and deep turns. The entrances are a little spicy and the ridge between BRT main and the gully is rocky so traverse with caution. 17 Green and Country Club are wide open. The snow is surprisingly firm but there are nice soft push piles and the edges are soft. It’s a great place to make some bomber mixed condition turns. *

Tram and High Alpine
*Only Liberty is open… but hear me out… It is really full up there! If you have a tram pass, don’t sleep on getting up there. *

Headwaters

Shedhorn and Dakota
*We got to Shedhorn at 12:30p. No one…. no single person had skied the lines under the wall. Untracked, waist deep. By 2p it was getting some attention but the entire area was the star of the day. Sunlight was soft and the trees are still untracked. Watch for deadfall. *

Madison Side
*No data *

Operations
The ratio this week is incredible- more and more staff are getting onboarded and the mountain ops, lifties, and patrol teams are clearly working double time and sharing the stoke. Make sure to say thanks for all their hard work.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is when the locals (aka transplants) brag about how epic their days were and how lucky they are to be who they are. While complaining about future crowds paying hard earned money to ski the same places later in the season.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
8-10” :roflmao: LMAO

I’ve got a 30” inseam and it was buried most of the day. Looks like we are finally in the zone with another 6”-24” by Saturday.

Best start here in 25 years, @Beach Bum, most of us have paid hard earned money to live and ski here, it just looks like paid off this year.

All we had was Mr K for weeks last year.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
This is when the locals (aka transplants) brag about how epic their days were and how lucky they are to be who they are. While complaining about future crowds paying hard earned money to ski the same places later in the season.
True story. Visitor one day, local the next.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Any other tips?
Thanks!
No beacon needed. You’re weather dependent up there. Yes you’ll stay on Liberty Bowl.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier

I’ve got a 30” inseam and it was buried most of the day. Looks like we are finally in the zone with another 6”-24” by Saturday.

Best start here in 25 years, @Beach Bum, most of us have paid hard earned money to live and ski here, it just looks like paid off this year.

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations between 3 and 14 inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.
Nothing like Big Sky wind. Flipped iron patio furniture over.

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Today was one of the most epic days I can remember... EVER

This post is part of a series and is quick update on local trail and condition reports. This is intended to be a crowdsourced effort. Other locals and visitors are encouraged to contribute their own experiences to this post and to make their own posts.

note : This does not come from Big Sky resort, Boyne, or ski patrol. Ride at your own risk. If you want to learn the mountain or improve your skiing, please consider booking a lesson!.

Overall Conditions
Today was one of the most epic days of skiing I can remember. We got an unexpected 8-10 inches of fresh powder on top of an already amazing base. If there was a total of 100 people on the mountan, I’d be surprised. Literally everywhere was skiing better than most of the mountain for the last few years.

Can I joint point out that its not yet December?!?!

Andesite
Ram Charger

*Everything off Rammy was insanely good. *

• Tippys & Ambush: Picture this: 3:45PM and there’s still soft untracked on the edge of Tippys. You get to the bottom of Tippy’s and realize no one has touched Ancient Tippys. Now imagine bombing the Ambush / Ram lift line and loving it. Yeah!
  • Africa & Safari: What bumps? All I skied was car sized pillows.
Southern Comfort

*It opened! check /u/skiguy4484’s review *

Swift Current Area
*Everything off Swift Current 6 was just chef’s kiss.

Bacon Rind is open, deep, untracked….still.

Magic Carpet is completely fulled and really fun. *

• CJ & Lobo - The very top of CJ got a little skied out by the PM but other than that, CJ, Lobo and Stump Farm were just soft and creamy and fun!. The conditions remained super light and skiable, likely because of the low traffic.
  • Soul Hole - What can I say about Soul Hole today? It brought tears to the eyes. It was so soft, so light, and so quiet. The turns come easily when the snow is like this. And you can explore some of the edges that are often not covered enough to be skiable.
  • Rice Bowl & Buff Jump - The very top of rice bowl has some exposed rocks. Enter closer to the new tram terminal for a cleaner entrance. Head over to the trees on skier’s right for untracked and steep. Buff Jump is creamy, and frankly just a playground right now. The last face before rejoining crazy horse is like someone dumped cool-whip on the hill.
  • Tango If Soul Hole was an emotional experience, Tango is Part 2 of that experience. The new glading makes the top part still feel like a classic tree run before it opens into a nice double fall line. If you keep skier's right, you'll be rewarded with deep, soft, mostly untracked steeps and deeps.
Powder Seeker and The Bowl
*The Bowl was quite nice but remains the supporting role and not the star of the mountain. *

• The Bowl: The Gut is skiing perfectly. You can charge it and use the push piles like soft bumps or a launch point for a leaper turn. You can make GS turns or short turns.
Mary’s Bush was untracked… let me say that again… untracked into the afternoon. Great spot for face shots.

• Upper Morningstar:
Challenger
*Challenger is continuing to fill in and ski really well. The entrance to Moonlight and Comet are more filled in than any time in the last 3-4 years. The bumps in Moonlight are soft and chargeable. Burt’s is full of soft snow and steep and deep turns. The entrances are a little spicy and the ridge between BRT main and the gully is rocky so traverse with caution. 17 Green and Country Club are wide open. The snow is surprisingly firm but there are nice soft push piles and the edges are soft. It’s a great place to make some bomber mixed condition turns. *

Tram and High Alpine
*Only Liberty is open… but hear me out… It is really full up there! If you have a tram pass, don’t sleep on getting up there. *

Headwaters

Shedhorn and Dakota
*We got to Shedhorn at 12:30p. No one…. no single person had skied the lines under the wall. Untracked, waist deep. By 2p it was getting some attention but the entire area was the star of the day. Sunlight was soft and the trees are still untracked. Watch for deadfall. *

Madison Side
*No data *

Operations
The ratio this week is incredible- more and more staff are getting onboarded and the mountain ops, lifties, and patrol teams are clearly working double time and sharing the stoke. Make sure to say thanks for all their hard work.
Now I am dying to go try skiing at Big Sky!

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

I don't think @Beach Bum was begrudging locals' enjoyment, just mocking the inevitable complaints about the hordes of skiers starting Dec. 26 that ruin it for them.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is "ancient Tippy's" what used to be called "old Tippy's" but now needs a distinction from maybe middle-aged Tippy's that is the alternative to the runout along lower Ambush?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well today didn’t suck, another 10” of cold smoke and zero crowds. Lots of discussion on the lack of crowds, we will see in a week or so, very quiet in town as well.

My .02
Great snow at a lot of western resorts that are much easier to get to.
2nd @tele opinion on airfare and reliability. There aren’t many direct flight options and a lost bag would suck.
Big Sky ain’t cheap, one of the most negative comments I hear both locally and on line is the cost, especially with the tram add on.

With day 13 in the books and 1/2 of them legit powder days I’m fine with the holiday crowds, we need them. Boyne isn’t paying for all of the many improvements here without skier visits.

NickD

Putting on skis
Skier
Well today didn’t suck, another 10” of cold smoke and zero crowds.
Today was wonderful! You said it well. Part of me wants business to pick up (because it helps me) but I can't believe we're getting this much fresh snow and amazing coverage this early in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid