• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry folks lifts closed…the moose outside should have told you.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
656A6794-898D-4CB9-B750-FDB2A7DCE1B8.jpeg
Yummy. I left my boot heater charger back in Monument (the now defunct best-in-class Sidas Pro) so I skied without today. Tomorrow I have the heat (batteries are charged), and then Sat I have to figure out.

Maybe it’s time for a set of heated socks?

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Breck is doing a nice job this year, IMO, of having "unofficial opening" of runs that are listed otherwise on the website or in the EpicMix app as closed.

This afternoon, for example, at least 5 runs on Peak 9 that were listed as closed were actually open for skiing as long as you could enjoy natural conditions (definitely not corduroy!): Gold King, Volunteer, Peerless, American, Lower Cashier. After a couple of warmup runs on groomers, it was a lot of fun (and more challenging) to spend the rest of the afternoon in 3-D snow conditions. And hardly anyone else on those "unofficial" runs!

I hope Breck keeps this up. Makes early season more interesting, by far, though it takes just a bit of exploring.

E-chair---the lift that runs from the bottom of Frosty's Freeway (on Peak 8) to the top of Peak 9---will start running this weekend. And Breck Ops has a target date of December 9 (next Friday) for the opening of Peak 7.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Breck is doing a nice job this year, IMO, of having "unofficial opening" of runs that are listed otherwise on the website or in the EpicMix app as closed.

This afternoon, for example, at least 5 runs on Peak 9 that were listed as closed were actually open for skiing as long as you could enjoy natural conditions (definitely not corduroy!): Gold King, Volunteer, Peerless, American, Lower Cashier. After a couple of warmup runs on groomers, it was a lot of fun (and more challenging) to spend the rest of the afternoon in 3-D snow conditions. And hardly anyone else on those "unofficial" runs!

I hope Breck keeps this up. Makes early season more interesting, by far, though it takes just a bit of exploring.

E-chair---the lift that runs from the bottom of Frosty's Freeway (on Peak 8) to the top of Peak 9---will start running this weekend. And Breck Ops has a target date of December 9 (next Friday) for the opening of Peak 7.
this is a very nice way of saying "Breck's website/app is routinely inaccurate"

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Technically, yes. Realistically, not really. They open the runs, let them get skied in then shut them down, sometimes within hours. There'd probably be a lot more pushback from the public seeing a trail listed open on the website and showing up to find it closed than getting to ski a soft opening because they were there despite what the website says.

The reality is that if the Breck website says a trail is open, the trail has been opened and not withstanding unforeseen issues, will be open going forward.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Hmmm....I'm too old and way beyond being nice if that's what I meant. ;)

Maybe just me, I LIKE having lots of soft and unofficial run openings during early season. Gives more variety to the skiing day. Hope Breck does even more of this...and not sure I would want the EpicMix app to spotlight these unofficial openings.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They open the runs, let them get skied in then shut them down, sometimes within hours. There'd probably be a lot more pushback from the public seeing a trail listed open on the website and showing up to find it closed than getting to ski a soft opening because they were there despite what the website says.

The reality is that if the Breck website says a trail is open, the trail has been opened and not withstanding unforeseen issues, will be open going forward.

I LIKE having lots of soft and unofficial run openings during early season.

Same happens everywhere. At Copper you will hear terms like a soft opening or more likely directed skiing. A run could be open a couple of hours or maybe a half day or more. Copper tries to reflect current status online and I think it is pretty accurate. You might see it with a blue color and set to expected.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
New mountain, no good sense of how it holds snow. Spent time on Paradise up in the wind. Not a great move but properly hardcore. We’re skiing now, no?

Lower down the kind of mellow powder turns you can always appreciate in the early season. These days are good for just finding and skiing soft snow. Which is better than hard snow.

CF08A923-2D31-4726-BAB6-F1BA4A4AE9DC.jpeg 8534ABBA-649B-44E1-B6B9-6C1387F3C681.jpeg 3071BE49-A44E-48C5-8C8B-8336C816D5A1.jpeg 2C19F140-20C5-4B0F-9F9E-35AF1323C781.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Got the champagne today.

View attachment 184840
Are you getting in some regal skiing at Monarch? The terrain isn't jumping out at me saying where you are at.

I've only skied Monarch once, last day of their cat season and had a ball. But we were out of bounds except returning for lunch and beer thirty.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Are you getting in some regal skiing at Monarch? The terrain isn't jumping out at me saying where you are at.

I've only skied Monarch once, last day of their cat season and had a ball. But we were out of bounds except returning for lunch and beer thirty.
Crested Butte :ogcool:. Giveaway pic is in the second post of the 3 days.

I have Epic and Monarch this year. My youngest son is a freshman at Western and Sat was his first day. Lots of fun reed skiing if you’re into that sort of thing.

6048E3E7-5DD9-4526-95BA-EC455F7E1E0D.jpeg
A0211BFC-2A6C-4F8D-8482-7F3920FBD596.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Crested Butte :ogcool:. Giveaway pic is in the second post of the 3 days.

I have Epic and Monarch this year. My youngest son is a freshman at Western and Sat was his first day. Lots of fun reed skiing if you’re into that sort of thing.

View attachment 185019
View attachment 185020
Doh. I've only skied the Butte once but I should have recognized CB Mountain and the infamous Banana, etc.

Reactions: nay

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm back out on the snow (not just snow throwing it) after a 5 day enforced time-out with COVID-19. It was mild again and I'm feeling great.

A quick tour of Breck showed a bunch of open terrain on Peak 9 and 8 (below treeline) and the rumor of Peak 7 being opened soon. They T-Bar was spinning (do they have to run tests at the beginning of the season?) as well as E-Chair. North side of 9 under E was looking pretty sketch after they opened sections of it to 'ski it in'. It is was not open as I left.
IMG_20221205_083348200.jpg
I missed the photo shoot while on the lift, but got this shot of a slew of patrollers in what appear to be new HH outfits with bright yellow collars. They all seemed to have their beacons in receive mode picking up a transmitting one as there was a lot of beeping going on. Hands were going up and down.

strava3243555538195729961.jpg
The new snow, about 2 inches after grooming, was pretty plush. I only took a single run on natural terrain. Plush on firm moguls.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
@nay and others. Duane Vandenbusche is giving a talk about the history of skiing in Gunnison Country tomorrow, Tuesday at 7pm. You have to sign up (on line) at the Crested Butte Museum and they send you a link to warch. They put it on You Tube later, but it's kind of fun to watch live with Duane dicussing things before the talk.

I'm a Western State alumni (now Western Colorado University) and had him for history in the 60's. He really knows the history and was a professor at Western for over 50 years. It should be a good show to watch. It's a series of history talks and this one is on skiing, some of the others are good too, mining, water, railroads, etc.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay and others. Duane Vandenbusche is giving a talk about the history of skiing in Gunnison Country tomorrow, Tuesday at 7pm. You have to sign up (on line) at the Crested Butte Museum and they send you a link to warch. They put it on You Tube later, but it's kind of fun to watch live with Duane dicussing things before the talk.

I'm a Western State alumni (now Western Colorado University) and had him for history in the 60's. He really knows the history and was a professor at Western for over 50 years. It should be a good show to watch. It's a series of history talks and this one is on skiing, some of the others are good too, mining, water, railroads, etc.
Nice! Will try to check that out, so much cool stuff in the valley. Western is such a hidden gem of a school.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Bunch of resorts gettin it including i70 areas. Go get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online