• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to CO on Friday to ski Saturday through Thursday. Will likely be solo some of the days, but don't know which yet. Staying in Vail and will ski Vail and BC, but I may venture to Copper or A-Basin too... anyone going to be around? :)

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to CO on Friday to ski Saturday through Thursday. Will likely be solo some of the days, but don't know which yet. Staying in Vail and will ski Vail and BC, but I may venture to Copper or A-Basin too... anyone going to be around? :)
I’ll be around next week. Probably others as well. Be fun to ski with you again. Beers too!

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn’t mention no crowds at Copper for the 2nd weekend in a row. I figured it must have been the cold and the wind. It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks are like now that we are back in competition season. Actually the event happening now was scheduled for Mammoth. Then it’s right into a couple of weeks of USASA.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Have a buddy flying in on Thursday. I think we're gonna do Vail on Friday and Breckenridge on Saturday. Maybe Abasin on Sunday.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's worth nothing that this Saturday is Gaper Day (April 1), so expect the A-Basin lower lot scene to be at absolute maximum shitshow levels. Maybe you want that, maybe you don't. :)
Been a minute since I’ve been involved in a shitshow. A set of lighted testicles would make it next level…

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@tball, Happy Bluebird Day to you as well. Consider my run on Peak 6's Wonderland to be yours. It was dicey up top but 3rd buckle deep in the trees.

IMG_20230328_094438733.jpg First run of the day was in Horseshoe. My usual Outlaw from the krummholz to the picnic table.

IMG_20230328_102832794.jpg
I wasn't at the rope drop but did get first tracks in CJs. The windblown layer was crusty and/or grabby depending on the moment. Things have gotten smoothed out a bit with the blowing snow. The underlayer is there but not as rough.

IMG_20230328_103614840.jpg Peak 7 from the t-bar.

strava5514373979212628154.jpg
One of those photos broke Strava as I forgot to restart it after taking the photo. ARRGGHH!

I took another run on Imperial to ski George's Thumb; it was pretty challenging snow. Windblown crust that would grab and deflect the skis. Then down through Forget Me Not to Boundary Chute. That was really nice with soft snow that wasn't wind affected.

Over to Peak 6 and a run down Wonderland. The snowfield section was meh, the trees more soft fresh snow. My final run was a hike to Felicity in Serenity Bowl. Back to meh. I felt like a beginner. I finished the run with Lost Cabin.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ll be around next week. Probably others as well. Be fun to ski with you again. Beers too!
We're here too. Would love to lap with you guys @Drahtguy Kevin @dbostedo @TexasStout, any others if we can cross paths . Fly Fishing floating CO river down in Glenwood tomorrow with my son, but back at it Thursday through the weekend. Staying in Frisco, so I'm mountain-flexible pending family objections.

Snow coming in Friday. Looks promising.

Skied Copper Sunday and yesterday. . . cold. Sunday was better than Monday. Monday was just too cold. at one point phone said "feels like" -15. Called it early. At least got Thai my noodle dish at the base.

Today at Vail was Springtime fun, although we got stuck in the Game Creek lift down for at least an hour+. It sucked. We started hiking out when we saw the cat come in thinking they were going to start driving folks out. But lift started back up and we got out shortly after. Son and I actually went back in late day and hit the soft stuff.

Kids and I lapped Sundown too and that was exceptional. Daughter unfortunately twisted her knee; she had to call it a bit early. She's feeling better but planning to take a couple days off. Son and I did two more Sundown laps though. So fun. No one around. The lift issue aside, it was a great day.

We did not get to Vail last year's trip. Had not been prior to today. Very much like the resort. Lots of fun, sneaky spots to discover. Hoping to hit it again before we head home.

DM if you want to try to connect, even for a beer.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tball, Happy Bluebird Day to you as well. Consider my run on Peak 6's Wonderland to be yours. It was dicey up top but 3rd buckle deep in the trees.

View attachment 198668 First run of the day was in Horseshoe. My usual Outlaw from the krummholz to the picnic table.

View attachment 198669
I wasn't at the rope drop but did get first tracks in CJs. The windblown layer was crusty and/or grabby depending on the moment. Things have gotten smoothed out a bit with the blowing snow. The underlayer is there but not as rough.

View attachment 198670 Peak 7 from the t-bar.

View attachment 198671
One of those photos broke Strava as I forgot to restart it after taking the photo. ARRGGHH!

I took another run on Imperial to ski George's Thumb; it was pretty challenging snow. Windblown crust that would grab and deflect the skis. Then down through Forget Me Not to Boundary Chute. That was really nice with soft snow that wasn't wind affected.

Over to Peak 6 and a run down Wonderland. The snowfield section was meh, the trees more soft fresh snow. My final run was a hike to Felicity in Serenity Bowl. Back to meh. I felt like a beginner. I finished the run with Lost Cabin.
If you felt like a beginner than it must have been challenging!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'll be at Vail with family on Sunday. Possibly Copper for a couple of hours on Monday on the way home but not sure. XC in Eagle Vail on Friday/Saturday. Either this jacket or a bright blue jacket and black pants. My skiing is pretty chill these days so won't be in steeps or bumps.

1680119587701.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Vail with family on Sunday. Possibly Copper for a couple of hours on Monday on the way home but not sure. XC in Eagle Vail on Friday/Saturday. Either this jacket or a bright blue jacket and black pants. My skiing is pretty chill these days so won't be in steeps or bumps.

View attachment 198789
Not sure where I'll be Sunday... but I'll look like this, probably with green pants...

1680121798929.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I enjoyed another day on the slopes of Breckenridge. I managed to ski 'edge to edge' going from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 back across 9 to 8 and across 7 to 6. Most of the upper mountain skiing was firm with a touch of windblown; technically no fresh. Some crusty and difficult to predict snow as well. Groomers started as pretty firm corduroy as yesterday's sun warmed everything up and it set up overnight.

No pics so Strava actually recorded the entire morning. :rolleyes:
strava5111594410065078055.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ah. Day 74.

I did a bit of recon to get a feel for what the underlayer would be like after the forecast snow. The groomers were splendid. The off piste was widely varied with smooth styrofoam, mild sastrugi and soft inch deep windblown. You had to keep your eyes peeled for the smooth areas and dance lightly until you knew (you never really could be sure for more than a turn) that it was soft or hard. The sun/warm temps had started to crust up some of the usual persistent powder in places and the trees (sampled for about 50 yards) was a dicey mix of soft crust and firm, unsupportive crust. It was blowing like mad above tree line.

IMG_20230330_064926183.jpg The early morning sky was lovely.

strava2734839990318516456.jpg

I ran into (figuratively) CJ Mueller, freshly returned from Big Sky and his US Ski Hall of Fame induction weekend. We didn't get a chance to talk about rubber chickens (inside joke?; we didn't talk about them so I am still left guessing).

Status
Not open for further replies.