• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm planning either A-Basin or Breck tomorrow. Abasin if the roads aren't too bad; otherwise Breck.

If' you're wondering, I'll be looking like this

1680227585433.png

Just kidding...I don't wear yellow... I wear grey-blue Arc jacket, black pants, red black Head ski boots and I ski the original Rossi Black Ops 98 with the Panthers. 60% of the time they work every time.

1680227615140.png

Here's a picture of me with @Philpug, et al at Brighton in January (it was really warm that day so not wearing my shell)

BTW - the CO river float yesterday was awesome. Hooked a 23" Brown (guide-taped for those seeking confirmation) in the morning on a streamer; then proceeded to catch another 12+ fish 12-18" on nymphing and even one on dry. My son caught 5. Hung out at the hot springs as well. It was nice, but crowded. Glad to have tried it. Ate dinner at Pullman's - excellent food.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
The sun/warm temps had started to crust up some of the usual persistent powder in places and the trees (sampled for about 50 yards) was a dicey mix of soft crust and firm, unsupportive crust. It was blowing like mad above tree line.

I did the afternoon shift at Breck: the big wind closed Imperial Lift and all of Peak 6 by 1 pm for the rest of the day.

However, the sun/warm temps softened Horseshoe Bowl nicely by the afternoon, which made for pleasant runs there 'til closing from 6-Chair traverse and T-Bar. Trees below Picnic Table were still mostly variable crust.

Hope we might eke out 6" of fresh from this evenings snowfall!

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Breck was windy, but not unfun.

My 11yo son and I skied 7 most of the day. Refilled most of the day due to snow and windfill.

Occasional whiteouts. Tree lines were the best. Anything open and you risked momentary vertigo.

Snow quality was superb.

Think abasin, vail or return to breck tomorrow.

Still snowing handsomely.

Good day.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm just waiting for a bus...

IMG_20230331_075518532.jpg Note that I am wearing two coats. Temps were in the single digits, or so it seemed, most of the morning. The wind was continuous and fierce. White out conditions from blowing snow made anything above treeline somewhat challenging.

IMG_20230331_082932263.jpg
First chair.

IMG_20230331_101920400.jpg I rediscovered some terrain that I haven't skied since they developed Peak 7. The low angle trees were a great place to hang out while waiting for ANY upper mountain lifts to open. T-bar had a mechanical most of the morning, then poor visibility kept it closed. I suspect that avy control was impossible with the frequent zero visibility.

IMG_20230331_133211158.jpg On my way to the next bus at the end of the day.

strava8140179461347380941.jpg
This was my longest non-race day on the mountain. The most vertical, too. Tomorrow is going to be fun assuming they can open t-bar and Imperial. :huh: Another 4 inches fell today and as @noobski mentioned, free refills. :golfclap:

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Hope we might eke out 6" of fresh from this evenings snowfall!

Ullr delivered as requested. 7" at 5am Friday morning at Breck, and it looks like we'll have about that much refresh for Saturday's first chair. I just wish I had also requested that wind gusts Friday remain below 50 mph!

I don't think that any high alpine opened today---even 6-Chair and T-Bar were down all afternoon. Visibility was very poor, but snow conditions were fun and skier traffic was light. Many of the the bump runs (e.g., Southern Cross, Peerless, High Anxiety, Rounders) caught so much wind drift it was difficult to distinguish tops of the moguls from the troughs---you just had to go mainly by the feel of your skis/feet.

If patrol can get high alpine open Saturday (wind gusts might still be a factor) it should be real good.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Hah! Unless winds close the upper chairs, I'll be at A-Basin tomorrow. Probably rolling in shortly after 10 or shortly after 11, depending on which bus I motivate to catch. DH will be rolling in closer to 1 and taking his chances finding a spot in the lower lot. :)

@dbostedo shoot me a PM in the morning if you decide to brave gaper day (which is chaos in the parking lot and on the beach but only lightly chaotic on the hill) and we can exchange numbers. Service is spotty but works near the top of the chairs and when you're in wifi range near the lodges.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Service is spotty but works near the top of the chairs and when you're in wifi range near the lodges.
A-Basin skiers should only use AT&T. They have a repeater on the mountain.

Big part of why I switched when I skied there a bunch during workdays :D

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm At&r and I think I had fine service last season.
They upgraded the service about 5 years ago. You only lose it some at the bottom of Zuma.

This is as good a reason as any to chose a carrier. We also have a new tower on Rt 50 and there is coverage from Monarch Pass to Gunnison. This is huge for us southern skiers.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
A-Basin skiers should only use AT&T. They have a repeater on the mountain.

Big part of why I switched when I skied there a bunch during workdays :D

Counterpoint, don't use at&t and enjoy one of the few remaining places where you can enjoy not being instantly contactable for a few hours. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister