• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Breck has announced that Sunday, the 21st will be their last day this season.

IMG_20230516_102428722.jpg
You can kind of see why ^^^.

IMG_20230516_103342749.jpg
Days ago, I thought someone had absconded with this soldier, but he was just hiding. I'm glad he decided to show himself yesterday.

IMG_20230516_104904573.jpg
Looking south and east at Bald Mountain. Note all the tracks! Not! The untouched snow from the weekend was a bit slow, but predictable and pretty nice! The clouds finally arrived in earnest later in the day for a real soaker in town.

IMG_20230516_105021244.jpg
Looking north and east. The Ten Mile Range, Dillon Reservoir and the Front Range.

IMG_20230516_112141885.jpg
The lonely soldier meets his demise.

IMG_20230516_114333474.jpg
I guess it wasn't too busy over the weekend. Plenty of untracked wet mashed spuds.

strava2859670102469855767.jpg
Horseshoe Bowl and Imperial are closed, only Pika and North Bowl off of T-Bar. Peak 6 was open, but I didn't get that far. I had plenty to deal with on T-Bar. It was exhausting, sometimes herky-jerky but always fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The clouds finally arrived in earnest later in the day for a real soaker in town.

Horseshoe Bowl and Imperial are closed, only Pika and North Bowl off of T-Bar. Peak 6 was open, but I didn't get that far. I had plenty to deal with on T-Bar. It was exhausting, sometimes herky-jerky but always fun.

Rained at Copper too. I think I posted the exact same sentiment about the T Bar a few seasons ago. :ogbiggrin:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
North Bowl is a decent alternative to Horseshoe. I was more disappointed that George's was closed. It's higher and slightly more north facing, thus giving more elevation/aspect options.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another day is in the books, albeit lightning hold shortened. I had to go pick up 7 PCs to set up and install, so not really a problem.

IMG_20230518_093302527.jpg It is getting a bit dirtier near the bottom, but most of the way down it was pleasant and not slushy, even until 11.

IMG_20230518_095156237.jpg
Looking north...

IMG_20230518_095201139.jpg
and south from the North Bowl traverse. North Bowl got skied out a bit yesterday. The top surface was soft but under the first inch or so it was kinda stiff.

strava6732940624073138569.jpg
I made it over to Peak 6. Nothing much to write about. It probably got better after I left as the sun came out a bit then.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holy Moly, what a great last two days it's been, at A Basin. Partly sunny so that I could see, mostly!
And both days, it just got cold enough for the beginnings of slight crust up higher, and pure cream cheese
snow marching upward from down below - today, Friday, from the start; and Thursday, yesterday, from within the first half hour.
Gad, just perfect snow.

Almost like a slow wave, the cream cheese moved up the slopes to the top by 10:30 or so, yesterday; and gained the top very quickly, today.
Just shear pleasure, my Heavens! On great skis.

(First chair, as an old guy, I was done by just after noon, but what me worry, those hours were timeless.)

Man, this is when I definitely start following the strong urge to go every day (except maybe some Saturdays) until closing.
Jeesh, wish it would never end.

Also, after Thursday on a trusty pair of FIS SL 165s, today I discovered my all time - instant all time - favorite spring ski, just unexpectedly,
in a ski I'd partially written off some months back, one of those Peaks by Bode, the 98. Thank God for second chances!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Holy Moly, what a great last two days it's been, at A Basin. Partly sunny so that I could see, mostly!
And both days, it just got cold enough for the beginnings of slight crust up higher, and pure cream cheese
snow marching upward from down below - today, Friday, from the start; and Thursday, yesterday, from within the first half hour.
Gad, just perfect snow.

Almost like a slow wave, the cream cheese moved up the slopes to the top by 10:30 or so, yesterday; and gained the top very quickly, today.
Just shear pleasure, my Heavens! On great skis.

(First chair, as an old guy, I was done by just after noon, but what me worry, those hours were timeless.)

Man, this is when I definitely start following the strong urge to go every day (except maybe some Saturdays) until closing.
Jeesh, wish it would never end.

Also, after Thursday on a trusty pair of FIS SL 165s, today I discovered my all time - instant all time - favorite spring ski, just unexpectedly,
in a ski I'd partially written off some months back, one of those Peaks by Bode, the 98. Thank God for second chances!
Was at A Basin until ~11:30 today. Snow was better than expected. I hadn't skied for a couple of weeks and my feet were complaining.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was at A Basin until ~11:30 today. Snow was better than expected. I hadn't skied for a couple of weeks and my feet were complaining.
Dang. Were you with one of those ski teams that were there? (At least part of the U.S. ski team, the Boston College ski team, and several local young folks ski teams, were the ones I knew of.)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Dang. Were you with one of those ski teams that were there? (At least part of the U.S. ski team, the Boston College ski team, and several local young folks ski teams, were the ones I knew of.)
No, I was just freeskiing. Unexpectedly ran into some friends I hadn't seen a long time who were coaching crews from back east though. So that was cool.

I personally avoid race skis after mid-April ...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
let us know what you think. ps, lunch rock has some good beers.
Love the feel and flow of Mary Jane. We had the place to ourselves as few showed up. Mostly cloudy morning with breaks of sun. Rain showers came in to dampen the final hour and end of the day tailgating. Hitting A Basin in the morning.
IMG_3109.jpeg

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning on skiing MJ this Fri for probably me last day of the season. Will be skiing with my 13yo, buddy from Chicago who will be testing out his newly bought Faction CT 1.0 skis and his 22yo. Anyone interested in joining us for some late season turns?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Closing day was far better than the forecast called for. No rain, it was calm with lots of sun until the clouds came in to maintain the surfy, wet conditions.

IMG_20230521_112528313.jpg
The corn harvest started early on the lower mountain.

IMG_20230521_114539152.jpg Guyot and Baldy.

IMG_20230521_122033349.jpg Ptarmigan in mixed color plumage on the far right of the patch. A patroller was left his skis downhill and hiked up to take photos of them.

IMG_20230521_125538503.jpg Keystone, The Basin, Grays and Torreys.

The natural terrain was pretty soft and predictable. I was leaving tracks a few inches deep most of the time. It was really moist snow that responded well to brushed as well as arced turns.

IMG_20230521_130647589.jpg
I'd like to thank my sponsors.

IMG_20230521_131144618.jpg I need a razor sponsor.

IMG_20230521_132748639.jpg The maze was one you could almost get lost in. It zigged and zagged rather than running directly to the lift. I almost got lost!
IMG_20230521_143407159.jpg The North Ten Mile Range.

IMG_20230521_144758702.jpg
Another refreshment stop.

strava1429842700973247168.jpg
More run and vertical were enjoyed than were recorded. I skied until last bell on T-bar. It was a fine season that ended with some great spring conditions. I'll be off on a tour of the north west and to Mt Hood for the final Summer Fun Nationals in July. I'm hopeful that Beartooth Pass will still be open.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hit A Bay early Sunday grabbing one of the free beach spots. Came to Colorado to find my people and here they were. The kind of folks that love to celebrate the Spring season. My shorts I wore seemed tame compared to the speedos, bikinis snd tutus that were on the hill. Thirty years ago I considered buying a place near by and still feel the same way. What a great area to hang your hat. We came back again to harvest some more of the sweet corn on Monday. Thanks to @ski otter 2 for providing a clean water supply to fill our RV.. Skitalkers rock. Time to move on to the next stop.
Beach parking 70637155979__0A994C12-1F31-4403-95AA-7D64A2FEE434.jpeg
Corn harvest
IMG_3131.jpeg
Do we really need this sign?
IMG_3142.jpeg
We will be back
IMG_3136.jpeg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The snow is holding up well at A Basin, with few people on most slopes and no lines. In spite of some occasional rain.

Uncharacteristically, my edges are not getting burred up by rocks or bare ground, even as the terrain open shrinks (at least so far).

This place is still good to go, at this point. See you at around first chair, if you come. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online