• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really raining much in Silverthorne yet (other than for a moment or two). Literally first chair, about two hours and done, for me, this morning at A Basin. The sun was out, and things got soft and forgiving.

(A line was developing up top when I shifted to down below, then in a while left, when my knee started to twinge.) :)

I think rain was forecast for this afternoon. I've stopped fearing it. If it gets below zero overnight, the moisture content just seems to add to the snow's resistance to the slow melt going on, for now.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, it was a nice start to the morning. I should have posted and asked if you were there. Not busy at all early on. :beercheer:

View attachment 204426

This is the photo that made me smile. The smoke is gone and you can actually see Dillon Reservoir again ogsmile

View attachment 204427
Looks nice and the clear air is nice.

I don't have an A-Basin pass. I've moved on to doing more work on my truck and getting it ready to go away in a little more than a month for a 3 hour (er, week :rolleyes: ) tour of the PNW including a stop at Hood to course crew the Summer Fun Nationals. 35th (and last) year.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks nice and the clear air is nice.

I don't have an A-Basin pass. I've moved on to doing more work on my truck and getting it ready to go away in a little more than a month for a 3 hour (er, week :rolleyes: ) tour of the PNW including a stop at Hood to course crew the Summer Fun Nationals. 35th (and last) year.

I’m headed to PDX around the same time for about the same duration.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I’m headed to PDX around the same time for about the same duration.
I'll be doing the scenic trip out and back. Up to Montana, across to and down the Columbia R., over to Hood for the race then out to the coast and down to California to see the redwoods and then back home. I'll have my mountain bike as well as skis and plan to take advantage of both whenever possible.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be doing the scenic trip out and back. Up to Montana, across to and down the Columbia R., over to Hood for the race then out to the coast and down to California to see the redwoods and then back home. I'll have my mountain bike as well as skis and plan to take advantage of both whenever possible.

I haven’t decided my exact route or dates yet but I’m headed to PDX to spend time with my dad who has stage iv lung cancer.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
no goggles+moderate to heavy graupel= I'm a dumb ass. In fairness to me the forecast for today was for sunny and 57. Not graupel and 37. My Smith sunglasses were wrong on all levels. Would have been much better off with my flat light goggles. Can't wait to see what the actual weather is starting tomorrow. I've heard everything from 90% chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms to 2-4" of snow.

Glad to see Zuma getting some good use :ogbiggrin:

IMG_1553.JPG

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
no goggles+moderate to heavy graupel= I'm a dumb ass. In fairness to me the forecast for today was for sunny and 57. Not graupel and 37. My Smith sunglasses were wrong on all levels. Would have been much better off with my flat light goggles. Can't wait to see what the actual weather is starting tomorrow. I've heard everything from 90% chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms to 2-4" of snow.

Glad to see Zuma getting some good use :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 204822
I plan to be there for a couple hours tomorrow AM. I'll guess we'll see what the weather is. I'll bring rain gear if necessary.
Goats were out on Wed too.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We saw 15 goats today, big and small. 7 yesterday. 3 the day before.
Today they were coming down their ridge, gathering at the Monezuma lift as usual, then going for bare patches nearby but lower down,
closer to skiers. Right up to skiers.

The open snow folks had predicted early rain today, Thursday, with some snow at higher elevations (over c. 11,000 ft.?).
So I and most of the other first chair folk around me had come with rain gear or warmer gear - unnecessary, as it turned out.
(We also had goggles that doubled for normal spring conditions and flat light both, though my old guy eyes don't do flat light so well,
which arrived at around 10 a.m.

It was bluebird for the first hour or so, soft to slush, not crusty. Wonderful.

The first 8-10 runs or so were swell, sunny and warmer. Near perfect.

Lots of goats. One came right up to me at a trot, then passed in front of the guy right behind me
with about six feet clearance, right across the top trail.

Then huge thunderheads came in, and hail (sometimes graupel). Maybe an inch by the time I left. A very localized, quick storm, seemed like.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well @nay here is couple you will appreciate :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 204555

Not what he wanted to do

View attachment 204556

The snow condition entering West Wall. Not the greatest early on this morning. Really needed to love hard bump skiing

View attachment 204558

Beautiful morning

View attachment 204559
That guy is out of the water though!

They seem to have enough snow for an extended weekend, I guess if you can’t get longest season in North America you just wrap it up.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I couldn't bring myself to do it. More power to those who could!

It looks like it cleared up today:

View attachment 204931

View attachment 204932
I skipped today, Saturday.

But, yeah, I was there too yesterday, Friday, for fresh snow. Second chair.
(Unusually, got maneuvered out of first chair at the bell, but I don't care - as long as I get on a chair fairly early.
And most of those guys on first chair I know already, and skied with also lots of runs, the Dickenses.) :D

Two inches plus of wet heavy. Felt like deeper snow.
Very soon, a good crud ski was somewhat helpful.

Left within two-three hours.

Not sure if I'll go last day. Maybe. Still don't know...............
(Nope.)

Last edited:
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well the 2-5" of snow never happened. I know there were those hoping the Summit Daily was right. :ogbiggrin:

IMG_1555.JPG

Early morning started off great and I was beginning to think maybe the weather outlook for the drive scared people off. How many people still have snow tires on in June? @ski otter 2 I'm pretty sure we were in line with some of your early morning friends.

I was taking in the early morning view and really appreciating it and the great season it has been. Soon after this shot the crowds arrived.

IMG_1559.JPG

I know I had a good closing weekend. Skiing was really good yesterday morning. I thought I was ready to take the plunge in Lake Reveal. Clicked into my CT2.0's but only got to here and chickened out. Didn't bring a second pair of boots and asked myself if I really wanted to ski in cold wet boots.

IMG_1560.JPG

Now it's down to the long drive to Carson and ultimately to Mammoth.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That bit of ice on top in June with cloudy skies will make you think twice about reveal. What’s it with every closing day being cool and cloudy? That’s wide open, though, just lean back :D.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
I was up on closing day, pretty overcast, but still lots of fun. Cornice Run to West Wall was really nice and not many there. Lots doing Reveal.

Attachments

• IMG_3859.MOV
    18.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3861.MOV
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3883.MOV
    22.5 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online