• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022-2023 "First to Open" in North America thread

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Several places have been blowing out their snow guns... and there's been some actual snow in Tahoe, Colorado, and the upper midwest (at least). So it seemed like a good time to start a "who will be the first to open" thread.

Last year I believe it was Wolf Creek, with A-Basin on their heels.

OnTheSnow.com is projecting Keystone and A-Basin to be about the same time (Oct. 21-22, which seems very optimistic right now).

So who do you think it will be this year, and when?

Could Wolf Creek take it again? Keystone, Loveland, or A-Basin? Someplace in the mid-west again (it was Wild Mountain a couple of years ago)? Could Killington get a cold spell and do it?

The usual "rule" is that they have to stay open for the season, not just manage a one day opening, only to close again. (Also... this means open to the public, not just for race training.) EDIT: Also, also... indoor doesn't count.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok not to start an argument or to (from our friends the Brits) throw a spanner in the works but skiing has started for some of us. Not the traditional way, I know but it does fill a void.

This was Saturday
IMG_2697.JPG

Nice little line of bumps down the right hand side of the "Big Ramp"

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

Still love love the spirit of the thread, even though I haven't got a clue who might be the first to open, am still looking forward to start of the traditional season

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok not to start an argument or to (from our friends the Brits) throw a spanner in the works
Clearly, indoor doesn't count, since it's year round. I suppose I need to update the OP...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearly, indoor doesn't count, since it's year round. I suppose I need to update the OP...
And I'm not trying to take away from the spirit of the thread. Not the traditional way but it is actual skiing (some of my muscles will tell you so) and a great way to warm up muscles and timing for the real season. Had a blast for 2 hours skiing the bumps Saturday morning. Just wanted to share. Like I said looking forward to the traditional ski season to start. Again from the Brits "Carry on"

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The usual "rule" is that they have to stay open for the season, not just manage a one day opening, only to close again. (Also... this means open to the public, not just for race training.) EDIT: Also, also... indoor doesn't count.
Maybe also add "open to the public" to the rules.

Copper Mountain looks close to opening up top, but only for racers. The scheduled opening day for the public is Monday, Nov. 14th.

Copper.jpeg

Live webcam view:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sure it counts - man made snow indoors just as valid as man made outdoors. Anyway judging from busyness at Uk fridges a cutover to winter at 1 October seems to make sense.

I ski tested on 9 October - was pretty fun but 4 hours riding laps on a poma is enough to suck the joy out of most skiing.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure it counts
No it doesn't. This is about places that close, and are first to open based on weather and/or snowmaking outdoors. Indoor slopes never need to close - so why would they be included in a seasonal opening thread?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, after an exhaustive survey of all current snowmaking (meaning no survey at all, except for catching occasional posts here or Facebook/Twitter feeds), I'm going to guess that first to open will be:

A-Basin, October 28th

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No it doesn't. This is about places that close, and are first to open based on weather and/or snowmaking outdoors. Indoor slopes never need to close - so why would they be included in a seasonal opening thread?
Because if it's man made it's an artificial gimmick anyway which says nothing about the real season. First to open with material natural coverage might be something meaningful. Anyway fridges close overnight and when they have a refridgeration problem or a hole in the roof with rain coming in etc.

With year round skiing theoretically available doesn't the WROD seem less appealing?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With year round skiing theoretically available doesn't the WROD seem less appealing?
Sure... but none of this "means" anything. It's just a fun thread as places race to open for marketing reasons. Obviously, indoor places don't participate in that "race", and are therefore no fun. :ogbiggrin:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like I mentioned in the other thread I sure am leaning Keystone but I think you guys are right. A Basin seems to always make it happen.

I will say A Basin Nov. 3rd.

Not sure if one of those upper mid west places could stay open but maybe one of them might do it.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if one of those upper mid west places could stay open but maybe one of them might do it.

Per this post from @Dwight , Andes Tower Hills in Minnesota is opening tomorrow!

The weather doesn't make it look like it will stay open, so they won't "win" this thread. But good for them!

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm going to count out Wolf Creek as they are only forecast to get 15" of snow in the next 10 days according to OpenSnow:

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.33.01 PM.png

It looks like A-Basin is doing a good job making snow so I'll vote that they will be the first to get open and stay open. Starting on Saturday the temperatures look even more favorable for snowmaking. Conversely, it's going to warm up in New England next week so Killington/Sunday River will not be competing with Colorado for first to open.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sure it counts - man made snow indoors just as valid as man made outdoors. Anyway judging from busyness at Uk fridges a cutover to winter at 1 October seems to make sense.

I ski tested on 9 October - was pretty fun but 4 hours riding laps on a poma is enough to suck the joy out of most skiing.
Umm that counts DOUBLE. You're skiing down the hill AND UP the hill :cool:

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Like I mentioned in the other thread I sure am leaning Keystone but I think you guys are right. A Basin seems to always make it happen.

Was listening to the most recent A-Basin podcast* and one of the guys said something like "we open mid-October, or 2 hours before Keystone." :)

[*] = A-Basin podcast: https://arapahoebasin.podbean.com/ Not amaaaazing, but good if you're a little bit too into A-Basin.

Sponsor