• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022-2023 "First to Open" in North America thread

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Private clubs are not open to the public... so nope, they don't count.

Current rules, First day open:
  1. Must be a resort/hill/area (i.e. someplace with a lift)
  2. Must be open to the public (so no private clubs)
  3. Must be running a lift of any kind
  4. Cannot be a year-round skiing place (i.e. no glaciers and no indoor)
  5. Can be open a partial day
Current rules, First open for the season:
  1. Must be a resort/hill/area (i.e. someplace with a lift)
  2. Must be open to the public (so no private clubs)
  3. Must be running a lift of any kind
  4. Cannot be a year-round skiing place (i.e. no glaciers and no indoor)
  5. Must remain open "for the season" - i.e. not close due to warm weather and lack of snow
There are still some grey areas within that... but I think it's a pretty good set.

Who decided on the rules above? Randoms. Do those rules codify what is and isn't worthy of being called first to open? Yes.
The rules that count is who gets the TV coverage. If some other place gets the TV coverage, you weren't first.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As long as it's not a year round ski area, I'm kinda getting worn out on all the rules.

IMHO the first to open is the one that is open for the season (read - stays open)
But, if someone is stoked because their hill beat A-BAsin to the punch... That's kind of exciting!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I would think that the flaw in the current rules are that there are not enough of them. If they can't be padded out to at least 20 pages then it's not really worth anywhere opening.

Also once @ dbostedo is done with these can he start on reworking the skier's code into something that works for all modern skiing applications.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, suppose one opens in early october for one day?
@Dave Petersen could make snow in his yard, invite people and call it open.

I could spin Hillington right now.

4A4FF366-4D80-4566-8B75-4711081B2EB2.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 181573

Isn’t that about where we saw that guy bite it at high speed off piste in May?
And patrol was watching with binoculars.
Actually, looking at the full size image, that is not it. That is on a ridge on the near side of the 'lake' (technically a 'tarn'). If we could see through the ridge, that would be the right location for the arrow, though. The shadow on the ridge is deceiving:

1667000086470.png

In the original, it just looks like a shadow on the Lake Chutes.

1667000162300.png

A little later it is more apparent that it is a ridge.

1667000661541.png

That is the tomahawk line. This shot was from the Imperial lift. The brown patches to the left are the back of the ridge with the shadow. The low spot between the ridge and the line are the 'lake'.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm waiting for the dramatic, drawn-in-MS Paint reenactment, @Doug Briggs.

Or maybe the whole thing in GIF memes... :ogbiggrin:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm waiting for the dramatic, drawn-in-MS Paint reenactment, @Doug Briggs.

Or maybe the whole thing in GIF memes... :ogbiggrin:
No reenactment or memes. We were kind of stunned watching it. It was a massive wreck. He virtually disappeared in the snow at the end and wasn't moving moments later. As @James mentions, the patrol had him in their sights (binoculars).

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
LOL. Yeah, I always liked Wolf Creek for that. They open as soon as there is something skiable top to bottom, doesn't have to be good. I didn't know it was common other places to have open but very marginal terrain. I don't think Wolf Creek believes in the concept of "ropes". Unless it is gate only access to an area, if the lift is open, the terrain served by it is technically open. If you go in October and run out of snow halfway down a run, well... have a nice hike. It's happened to me and a couple of friends.

Wolf Creek: We just spin the lifts, finding a skiable line is on you.
I just booked a flight to visit my sister in TX for Thanksgiving with a possible weekend trip to Pagosa Springs/ Wolf Creek if the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed!

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunshine Village in Banff opens tomorrow with a single lift running but all natural snow, and moved their opening day a week earlier due to snowfall. Lake Louise opens Friday.

That news led to this text exchange with my (non-skier) spouse:
90D032A9-D2E6-4631-A1E7-47BC86161222.jpeg

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
I just booked a flight to visit my sister in TX for Thanksgiving with a possible weekend trip to Pagosa Springs/ Wolf Creek if the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed!
Update: Wolf Creek had spectacular conditions for Thanksgiving weekend! Unbelievable! There was so much powder in the glades that several skiers in our party actually got buried nearly waist deep in snow several times.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Update: Wolf Creek had spectacular conditions for Thanksgiving weekend! Unbelievable! There was so much powder in the glades that several skiers in our party actually got buried nearly waist deep in snow several times.
Post pics in the Colorado thread!!!

Sponsor

Staff online