• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022-2023 "First to Open" in North America thread

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Now all we need Is a convention to ratify.

• Haha
Reactions: RJS

James

Out There
Instructor
We need to know what we’re ratifying.

There’s another way around the definitions. The convention meets in April, maybe May. When many are lamenting the season is over. Convention draws up a list of places to watch for first opening. Not on list, doesn’t count.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
this is a ski-tatorship! (Or maybe a ski-archy.) :ogbiggrin:
Help, help I'm being repressed

IMG_2697.JPG

Here's where you can have your convention in May (or June, July, August etc;)

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not on list, doesn’t count.
Oh... that will go over well. We'll turn it from just "first-to-open" into "first-to-open-of-the-places-that-a-random-group-of-people-has-decided-they-care-about-or-are-somehow-worthy-of-being-allowed-to-be-called-the-first-to-open".

James

Out There
Instructor
Help, help I'm being repressed

View attachment 181345

Here's where you can have your convention in May (or June, July, August etc;)
Parking is just too hard. Then there’s dining, the State Troopers… By the time the convention is out, half will be in jail.

Oh... that will go over well. We'll turn it from just "first-to-open" into "first-to-open-of-the-places-that-a-random-group-of-people-has-decided-they-care-about-or-are-somehow-worthy-of-being-allowed-to-be-called-the-first-to-open".
And? That’s what it is now.
Think of it more like CODIS. It’s just a database.

* Combined DNA Index System

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Who decided on the rules above? Randoms. Do those rules codify what is and isn't worthy of being called first to open? Yes.
Fair enough... but they're standards that are applied across the board. James was talking about making a list of specific resorts... "I had a run-in with a patroller at Loveland once... they can't be first to open!"

James

Out There
Instructor
James was talking about making a list of specific resorts... "I had a run-in with a patroller at Loveland once... they can't be first to open!"
We’ll it is a committee.

You still haven’t defined resort. Abasin doesn’t qualify, per their own nomenclature. Therefore, they are disqualified by your list criteria.
Waiting for Keystone or Copper I guess.

James

Out There
Instructor
And a pool, bar, restaurant and sleeping accommodations. That is more than A-Basin. :)
Abasin has bar and restaurant. They used to have sleeping up in the top of the A-frame. I worked with someone who stayed up there back in the late 60’s. He said it was hellish. Very hot.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You still haven’t defined resort.
No need... it was only used earlier as a stand-in for any kind of ski resort/hill/area. Which is why that's what I put in the rules later.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Thrilling 10 page read of this annual much loved topic with rules. I am so looking forward to being back on skis myself.

Sponsor

Staff online