• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2022-2023 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oily Bee

Booting up
Skier
Just posting in the thread because I'm new to skitalk and skiing in AZ. I took a hiatus from skiing in 2006 when my wife and I moved to Phoenix as her parents were getting old. We spent 97-06 in the Anchorage area and lived in Girdwood for a few years before we got a house in the city, I had a pass at Alyeska every year. I learned to ski in southeast Michigan at a very early age.

We recently packed up and got a place in Pinetop-Lakeside so I have Sunrise nearby! It's great to be skiing again. I'm finally fully geared and will start getting passes next year. I've been out a few times and it's like I never missed a season!

I spend my time away from skiing carving turns on a motorcycle, I actually find them to have a similar feel.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just posting in the thread because I'm new to skitalk and skiing in AZ. I took a hiatus from skiing in 2006 when my wife and I moved to Phoenix as her parents were getting old. We spent 97-06 in the Anchorage area and lived in Girdwood for a few years before we got a house in the city, I had a pass at Alyeska every year. I learned to ski in southeast Michigan at a very early age.

We recently packed up and got a place in Pinetop-Lakeside so I have Sunrise nearby! It's great to be skiing again. I'm finally fully geared and will start getting passes next year. I've been out a few times and it's like I never missed a season!

I spend my time away from skiing carving turns on a motorcycle, I actually find them to have a similar feel.
Welcome OB!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Dude.....that's gotta hurt like a MF-er!
It’s 10/10 pain, at least when being moved around. Was contact with an aspen…but only contact was hip. I’m posting up in injury/recovery if anybody wants to follow along.

About to head out to PT, I think I’ll be walking unassisted in a week…

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s 10/10 pain, at least when being moved around. Was contact with an aspen…but only contact was hip. I’m posting up in injury/recovery if anybody wants to follow along.

About to head out to PT, I think I’ll be walking unassisted in a week…
Oh man, sorry to hear. Cheers to your recovery.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Oh man, sorry to hear. Cheers to your recovery.
Thanks!

These things are like plane crashes. It never just happens, there is always some confluence of factors. My wife felt the snow get funny, like she couldn’t buy a turn just as it got fast, and started to traverse out. Even the first ski patroller responder ended up in a thicket of saplings.

I was further down and it was a few quick turns to get out. We were only in there because we were skiing with one of my kids’ friends, and I was urging her to show us some new stuff. Literally, just puttering around at this point.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at this for here, what a great season for the Western Slope and points south and west. Sigh. Anytime it’s “when” you’ll recover (fully) and not “if”, you just gotta do the work and get there as soon as possible. An ACL is a vastly more complex recovery and memory of pain fades…

I need to spend more time on this Four Corners forum, even Monarch is more tied to here in climate than the northern CO mountains and I-70.

Oily Bee

Booting up
Skier
I'll be hitting Sunrise tomorrow bright and early. Breaking in some new skis so I'm stoked!

It might be busy out there, town is crazy busy, there are more folks around renting gear at the ski shops than what we had for MLK weekend. It's a holiday weekend in Mexico and the tourists are here in force!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did they open up the new tow lift up to Cyclone?

How long did that take as a hike?

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Insert a success kid moment jpg

I knew going into the weekend there was a storm blowing in Sunday up in Flagstaff which was the only I could possibly go up for a day trip. Woke up at 6am and looked at wind forcast for this past Sunday and groggily thought, there's no way Gondola doesn't wind hold. Turn off the snooze and unsuccessfully attempt to go back to sleep.

By 10:30a she was done spinning for the day.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Insert a success kid moment jpg

I knew going into the weekend there was a storm blowing in Sunday up in Flagstaff which was the only I could possibly go up for a day trip. Woke up at 6am and looked at wind forcast for this past Sunday and groggily thought, there's no way Gondola doesn't wind hold. Turn off the snooze and unsuccessfully attempt to go back to sleep.

By 10:30a she was done spinning for the day.

Yeah I was up there and that sucked.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They keep saying the tow rope install is "a few weeks out" since November.
I'm guessing they didn't get everything installed before the snow hit and so my money is on not seeing it running this season. :huh:

Going up Mon-Tues.

Oily Bee

Booting up
Skier
Hopefully the late Jan. dry spell is done and we are back to winter.
Sunrise weather station is forecasting a potential 15" day on Wednesday. I'll be up for sure, I have Sunday, Monday off and some wiggle room in my schedule to get out of work on Wednesday or Thursday (maybe both?). My schedule already has me done at noon those days but I can bring someone in early to cover opening the store for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.