• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2022-2023 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
best snow I've ever skied at Sunrise.

Yet they still insist on closing....Oh and they're unable to operate their brand new, much publicized lift....I mean tow rope.

Death spiral for out of town season pass holders. Might as well go full Mt. Lemmon mode and not even bother to sell seasons passes.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, Sunrise could stay open another month with all that snow. It looks great out there.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
News from Sunrise: "The Cyclone Cord is also expected to be completed by the manufacturer this week and we will have it open Friday if it is completed as expected."

Wow! Just in time.

In other news, When I went to the ticket window Friday to pick up my pass, there was a line that wasn't moving. The entire staff of ticket window personnel were huddled around the computer screen trying to figure out how to help the woman at the window. Many minutes go by, the woman turns to the people in line and apologizes, explaining that the on-line ticket sales had allowed her to purchase tickets for Thursday, despite the fact that they were not open on Thursday. No one could seemingly figure out how to apply that purchase to a different day. You can't make this stuff up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be in Tucson next week. A "quick" trip to AZSB is looking tasty for under $30. Not sure if Mom and wife will go for that though.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No one could seemingly figure out how to apply that purchase to a different day. You can't make this stuff up.
That's a "give the woman a ticket and get the line moving" moment.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be in Tucson next week. A "quick" trip to AZSB is looking tasty for under $30. Not sure if Mom and wife will go for that though.

@Andy Mink Let me know if you are able to swing it. I was thinking of a trip up there next week. PM Sent.

Last edited:

Oily Bee

Booting up
Skier
Sunrise finally gets the cyclone rope running just in time for the bonus weekend!

I'm bummed they are not open tomorrow as I get Sunday and Monday off of work.

imo the cyclone tow was hardly a walk anyway. It's the 25+ minutes of lift riding to get back to it that is kind of a bummer. I had a good line over there last Sunday but didn't make it back around for a second trip. There's some nice terrain over there. If I'm sneaking in runs before work there's no way I'll waste time over there. This hill could be nice with some upgrades and the way the cost of skiing and overcrowding is taking over some upgrades would probably bring a fair amount of increased traffic.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's not a quick drive...

I skiied yesterday and was disappointed by the crowds. Next trip up is 4/8, and that might be it for the year.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not a quick drive...

I skiied yesterday and was disappointed by the crowds. Next trip up is 4/8, and that might be it for the year.
Yeah, I paid a bit more attention and it's a no go. Last time I did it I was on my way back to Reno so it was sort of kind of on the way. Way too far for a day trip from Tucson. Maybe next time!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I see Taoes is shut down, hoping to reopen tomorrow due to a water leak issue in the towns water supply. Been closed for several days.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Apparently, Mountain Capital Partners bought Lee Canyon in Las Vegas. Have any of you every skied there? I have an annual trade show in Vegas in Feb/Mar and would consider a day there for the novelty of skiing there, depending upon conditions at that time. Although, I think it's a little disingenuous that they currently list their vert and acreage stats to include "hike-to" terrain that very few people are going to actually ski. Just how tiny is this place?

lee canyon.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently, Mountain Capital Partners bought Lee Canyon in Las Vegas. Have any of you every skied there? I have an annual trade show in Vegas in Feb/Mar and would consider a day there for the novelty of skiing there, depending upon conditions at that time. Although, I think it's a little disingenuous that they currently list their vert and acreage stats to include "hike-to" terrain that very few people are going to actually ski. Just how tiny is this place?

View attachment 200494
Never been there, but looking at the stats here:

It looks like about the size of an average mid-Atlantic resort (i.e. small)...

1681484426007.png

cholla

Booting up
Skier
If MCP intends to invest in lift infrastructure and expansion like they have done elsewhere, a nice lift up top could help things.....but only if there's enough snow and they can place some black and/or blue runs to make it worthwhile.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If MCP intends to invest in lift infrastructure and expansion like they have done elsewhere, a nice lift up top could help things.....but only if there's enough snow and they can place some black and/or blue runs to make it worthwhile.

I just wish they would invest in better food service at the Snowbowl and Purgatory. :ogbiggrin:

cholla

Booting up
Skier
I just wish they would invest in better food service at the Snowbowl and Purgatory. :ogbiggrin:

Agreed. I thought a lodge/restaurant for the top of the gondola was also in the plans. And a total rebuild of both Hart Prairie and Agassiz lodges. And while I'm dreaming, I wish they could do something with the top of the gondola to somehow make it less susceptible to closures from wind and rime ice.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
The map there is incredibly misleading.

The top of Lees Peak is over 11k, but the top of lift serve is only 9370.

If MCP can bring the capital and the stewardship to get a larger SUP or an upper mountain lift through the forest service, it becomes interesting. But as it, meh..... (I think I recall seeing a filing)

P.S. The increased focus of Meh resorts at the expense of partnering with B tier destinations is the leading cause of me dropping my AZSB pass next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor