• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2022-2023 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you don't mind explaining, where is this and what type of effort is involved in doing this? Where do you hike from, how long does it typically take, and do you have avalanche gear/training? I am curious as a total backcountry zero.
This is just beyond the ski area boundaries. If you're skilled and experienced the effort is still fairly tough. If you're a never ever it can be crushing.

On this particular day we skinned from the midway catwalk, climbed up to the low saddle then further up to the peak behind Rustler Peak. If you look closely you can see our tracks dropping off that nob then down behind Rustler Peak into the Inner Basin for a 1200 vertical foot run. We then climbed out and traversed back over to the Rustlers. We were back in the area by noon thirty I think.

You should never ski out of bounds without gear or training or without a solid mentor/s. I've been skiing in the back country for 29 years now.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
This is just beyond the ski area boundaries. If you're skilled and experienced the effort is still fairly tough. If you're a never ever it can be crushing.

On this particular day we skinned from the midway catwalk, climbed up to the low saddle then further up to the peak behind Rustler Peak. If you look closely you can see our tracks dropping off that nob then down behind Rustler Peak into the Inner Basin for a 1200 vertical foot run. We then climbed out and traversed back over to the Rustlers. We were back in the area by noon thirty I think.

You should never ski out of bounds without gear or training or without a solid mentor/s. I've been skiing in the back country for 29 years now.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. It's not something I'm likely to do, but I would only do so with the right people, training, and gear. I just love the pics you post.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, I appreciate the info. It's not something I'm likely to do, but I would only do so with the right people, training, and gear. I just love the pics you post.
Well get on that, we aren't getting any younger ya know.

Start with a avie 1 course and then some guided trips maybe? there's courses too out there for backcountry basics. I honestly think that getting instruction on transitions, skinning, etc. is possibly more important than the avie 1 course. A lot of those seem to focus on data pits which aren't the holy grail to understanding safe back country ski travel imho.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I appreciate that. I really enjoy snapping quick pics and vids with the phone. It's really easy and the results can be pretty darn good.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Thanks - I appreciate the encouragement and if I lived in Flag, I just might.....but I live in Phx and the wife's tolerance for my skiing and cycling has its limits....

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yesterday . Who says Arizona doesn't get any snow? View attachment 189690
We just surpassed the January 2010 snowfall putting this January in 3rd place for the snowiest since it's been recorded.

That January 2010 storm was a big one. That winter was interesting because the snow pack stuck around until late April/May. The runoff was super cool to watch. There were creeks running off all sides of the Dry Lake Hills as four feet of snow melted off in a couple of weeks. The waterfalls pouring off the Mogollon Rim were spectacular.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Spindrift this morning on the webcam - probably a while till they can open the Gondola?

View attachment 190355
Same thing yesterday - the Gondola was shut all day and even coming off GCE at times the wind was very strong. After lunch, I had (foolishly as it transpired) taken off my balaclava as it was quite pleasant near the lodge. I really regretted it at the top of GCE and nigh on got frostbite until I could get out of the wind. Nonetheless, a blue bird day with lots of powder remaining from the big dump, even though it got chopped up by the afternoon. Definitely one of the best days at Snowbowl in a long while since the crowds were moderate ... I had the opportunity to try out my Citadels in better circumstances than the first time when I had a full 5 minutes on them before falling on Volcano resulting in a meniscus tear and the end of my ski season when the bindings didn't release!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Same thing yesterday - the Gondola was shut all day and even coming off GCE at times the wind was very strong. After lunch, I had (foolishly as it transpired) taken off my balaclava as it was quite pleasant near the lodge. I really regretted it at the top of GCE and nigh on got frostbite until I could get out of the wind. Nonetheless, a blue bird day with lots of powder remaining from the big dump, even though it got chopped up by the afternoon. Definitely one of the best days at Snowbowl in a long while since the crowds were moderate ... I had the opportunity to try out my Citadels in better circumstances than the first time when I had a full 5 minutes on them before falling on Volcano resulting in a meniscus tear and the end of my ski season when the bindings didn't release!
That sucks Rob! I’m sorry to hear that. Heal fast.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
That sucks Rob! I’m sorry to hear that. Heal fast.
Thanks for the kind words - but the referenced fall was in March 2021 and it really did suck: there were many more potential skiing days that year but my season was DONE at that stage. And the silliest thing is that although I managed to ski (painfully) at about 2 mph back to Agassiz with @kimberlin following me, I stupidly declined her offer to help me get back to the car: it took me about an hour to get across the Agassiz parking lot.

This year, I loosened the bindings on the Citadels a bit (just in case) and will admit that I skied a little gingerly on them on Tuesday for the first run or two!!! Nonetheless, clearly good powder skis even if the operator sucks :)

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick Trip Report: Made the drive up to Durango this week for 3 days skiing at Purgatory.

Tickets: Online advance purchase was $89 / day. I waited just a bit too long, they were ~$64 /day if I had purchased two weeks earlier. But, included was a $20/day resort credit which I used for dining.
Hotel: Holiday Inn Express - brand new and 2 blocks from Main Ave. There are cheaper places but this fills the bill of cleanliness, comfort and proximity to downtown. Breakfast included.

New snow Monday morning. I think they were reporting 3 or 4." It was dense and I struggled to push through the chop. Very cold.
Tuesday overcast and cold. I don't know if it's possible that snow dries out? But today the chop seemed lighter and easier to ski. As well, a bunch of grooming provided ample zooming.
Wednesday really cold, but the sun peeked out and the snow was awesome. You know when you walk on it and it squeaks instead of crunching. Dry & chalky. Except for the first chair of the day out of the base, it was ski-on to every chair. Stayed on the groomers mostly and by 3PM was happy with 21 runs / 25K vert.

Zonie driving in the snow :eek:
e-154022859.jpg

Peace
e-212002838.jpg

Noodles and a view (Dante's)
e-185934076.jpg

Boogie
e-210510272.jpg

My happy place
e-211847874.jpg

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Love the pics. Happy days several times on Purgatory trips. A couple of years ago @RobSN , we were skiing those runs over and over... gotta keep the speed up for that darn Lift 3 ! I must say that Purgatory has the nicest trail signs I have ever seen.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cold.
Tuesday overcast and cold. I don't know if it's possible that snow dries out? But today the chop seemed lighter and easier to ski.

Yes the cold pulls moisture out of the snow.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love the pics. Happy days several times on Purgatory trips. A couple of years ago @RobSN , we were skiing those runs over and over... gotta keep the speed up for that darn Lift 3 ! I must say that Purgatory has the nicest trail signs I have ever seen.
Makes me want to go again!!!!

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Heading to Angel Fire for 4 days. Wondering how the coverage is? Have to ptex the bases often after trips here. Primarily looking at steeps and moguls like Hells Bells and Charisma, but also the back blues, jasper, I 25 and lucky 7.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like I missed a good month of skiing in AZ. Glad you guys got a piece of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.