• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Managed to avoid the rain at Killington yesterday. Skied with @Guy in Shorts and Cindy for a bit. Mark as my very patient terrain coach skied behind me shouting out tips or encouragement. It was very bumped up everywhere and for a brief time i forgot all the progress i made this season. I stepped back, took a breath and regrouped. Mark took me out of my comfort zone onto middle supe on skiers left where the bumps were HUGE. Cut back over to lower bitter where we met up with Cindy who gave me a couple tips that changed my world and made the big soft bumps oh so fun. A couple times I was unsure of what line to take so Mark skied it first and i skied where he did. I still have some angst about skiers behind me but not so much at Killington in the spring. I stopped for the day just as the rain started. My friend Justin and his son were just getting there so they skied in full on rain unfortunately but fun was had by all. I introduced Justin to our crew and they were so welcoming. I was chatting with some woman named Tracey 2 cars down. Springtime at Killington is a special time. Everyone is happy, the vibe is great and it's near impossible not to make friends. It was not a nice sunny tailgate day but the 802 bus was definitely the place to be. It was a fun day and likely my last for the season.

20230429_101225.jpg 20230429_104346.jpg 20230429_112507.jpg 20230429_112516.jpg IMG_3013.jpg IMG_3012(1).jpg 20230429_153841.jpg

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Resting up for the upcoming three day run. Get to ski on my birthday Friday. Last weekend was pretty soggy. On Friday we tailgated with pizza and ice cream cones. Here are a few pics.

Skyehawk Headwall on Friday
IMG_2996.jpg
Slopeside Pizza
IMG_3002.jpg
Ovation Headwall Saturday
IMG_3005.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t believe Skyhawk headwall has that much snow. Was there snow there for the worldcup training access?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Given the night time temperature is now above freezing, can I assume the better time of day for good condition is morning?

At 50+ degree high, the afternoon would be quite mash potato like?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I can’t believe Skyhawk headwall has that much snow. Was there snow there for the worldcup training access?
It is a natural snow trail the is never groomed. All that snow is blow over from the Superstar headwall.
Given the night time temperature is now above freezing, can I assume the better time of day for good condition is morning?

At 50+ degree high, the afternoon would be quite mash potato like?
Folks that like things a little flatter get there early. The bumpers start showing up at noon. Lifts run thru 5. I would describe the snow as more spring corn than mashed potato but the result on the legs is the same. Very few skiers can ski bell to bell.

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I would describe the snow as more spring corn than mashed potato
Sounds delicious! :)

but the result on the legs is the same. Very few skiers. can ski bell to bell.
So get there before noon to enjoy the smooth 'groomed corn'. Take a long lunch (& a nap) and come back for 'corn bumps' later? ;)

Last edited:

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
It is a natural snow trail the is never groomed. All that snow is blow over from the Superstar headwall.

Folks that like things a little flatter get there early. The bumpers start showing up at noon. Lifts run thru 5. I would describe the snow as more spring corn than mashed potato but the result on the legs is the same. Very few skiers. can ski bell to bell.
The last part is so, so true. I like how it is now (at least last Friday) with a few other trails open to get a little break from the Superstar bump fest. That definitely expands how many hours I can get in before crying uncle.

Fingers crossed the pop up park and some of the non-Superstar trails stay open through this next Friday to Sunday cycle. We have 3 days left on Ikon and hoping to spread out over next 3 weekends or double up in two weeks based on glacier depth and forecast. Such a fun environment and great way to end the season.…

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Killington this weekend for likely the last time this season. The weather looks good an I'm sure there will be plenty of snow on Superstar, but not much anywhere else. And I'll be staying solo at our ski club lodge, which is always spooky at night in the middle of nowhere.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The former owner of the butternut on the access road used to let us stay there in the spring. He'd shut down usually in April but we became friends with him and Jim would often say I'm not open but come on up on whatever weekend night and crash. Just leave $40 on the dresser for cleaning. It was the spookiest thing. We'd be the only ones in there. Empty hallways, dark kitchen and I've seen the shining too many times so all I saw was this.

1683243133046.png

Needless to say we brought stuff in from the car and if I forgot anything Michael would laugh at me because I'd go nope not going out there..

On a happy note it looks like Upper Lark, and Lower Bitter survived the week so I plan to be there on Sunday.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Nobody else? That's a ski club?
Our lodge is underutilized during mid-season and now most people have either used up their Ikon days or have turned their focus to spring things. I have the spring pass so I'll take advantage of one of the last weekends up there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And I'll be staying solo at our ski club lodge, which is always spooky at night in the middle of nowhere.
Can someone PLEASE go stomp around outside the lodge making eerie noises in the middle of the night when @Phelmut is there? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.