• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Third ski day: very nice if firm. Good recovery from the rain. We skied Snowdon under the guns until we tired of that then headed to Superstar and Skyelark for multiple laps on both after 10 am when the ski teams vacated Skyelark. Absolutely empty on that side for about an hour then we took a break at noon. Headed to North Ridge for some laps then headed down Great Northern and called it a day after 1 pm.

I'd say today was very good considering the challenges the NE has been presented. I commented to Jane that no other place on the east coast has the equivalent of Superstar open right now and that only because of their commitment to the WC. Do you think anyone else would have expended the needed resources to have a run like this open this early in a crappy year?
How was the new lodge?

James

Out There
Instructor
Not finished. For example, today they installed the framing and glass that shields one entrance from the wind, similar to the entrance at the Peak Lodge. But the bar on the upper floor was open.
Was this part open?
5979E8CF-E3F4-49CB-973F-AF6859C382F3.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure that was Great Bear. Another one that always looks nice but isn’t.
Yes it was Great Bear that Had Kevin dancing with the rocks. I think he managed to miss just one or two however so, there's always this year if he wants to go back and see what he missed. His stocklis would sure hate him for it. I know my Fischer RC4 Curvs are still swearing at me every time I walk by them.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heading to Killington tomorrow, skiing Friday - Monday. Looks like we will be hitting it just right with the storm coming in. Will give me a chance to try out my new Rustler 9's!

Rick G

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Killington tomorrow, skiing Friday - Monday. Looks like we will be hitting it just right with the storm coming in. Will give me a chance to try out my new Rustler 9's!

Rick G
Heading up Friday morning also for the weekend. The forecast keeps getting better. If my buddies didn’t have to work Friday morning I’d be going up tomorrow.

Last edited:

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heading up Friday morning also for the weekend. The forecast keeps getting better. If my buddies didn’t have to work Friday morning I’d be going up tomorrow.

We are staying at Turn of the River Lodge right on the access road but staying near Lake George Thursday. Should be on the snow Friday by 10-10:30. Will probably camp out in Snowshed to change boots and such.

Rick G

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Afternoon report. Upper Ridge Run/West Glade opened today and it was fantastic. Many laps here. It's a favorite of mine so I'm a little biased. Didn't try Lower East Fall because of the 60mph vortex winds blowing directly up it wasn't a sensible decision according to my lovely wife. Mouse Trap > Lower Chute and Lower Bunny also a hoot. Didn't make it to the Superstar pod; will try it first thing tomorrow morning. Winter is finally here. What a great day!

Oh yeah, 14" reported at the end of the day and still snowing. Also, winds still howling ;)

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would any Killington regulars have a recommendation for an instructor? We’ll be skiing midweek in early February for a few days and we’re thinking about doing a private lesson for 2 or 3 of us. Thanks!

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if Rick Svencer or Keith Hopkins are still around - but they would be good choices. What level skier would you classify yourself?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if Rick Svencer or Keith Hopkins are still around - but they would be good choices. What level skier would you classify yourself?
Thanks. There are three of us and we’re all intermediates and relatively close in ability. I’m probably the most adventurous of the group but still only skiing blues and a few blacks there. My other thought was to just sign up for a group lesson if we aren’t looking for a particular instructor and possibly get a small group considering it’s will be mid-week.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 8 at Killington was a mixed bag for us. Glue snow on upper Cruise Control was unexpected and one ski was ripped right off my foot. Skyelark and Superstar skied much better so we did a few laps there before heading to the gondola. Many spots had too aggressive a groom with tons of sugar snow. Northridge area was passable, but we decided to not risk our knees and headed home to run the weekly errands.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 9 was much better with soft snow but a bit of fog. I had to wait twice before heading down ungroomed East Fall so I could see and avoid some yahoos. Here is the view from the Canyon Quad.
20230104_105612.jpg

First day on new Dynastar M-Pro 90 with Look Pivot 12 bindings.
20230104_105600.jpg

Also did my first Killington Downhill today (Peak-to-Creek without stopping).

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would any Killington regulars have a recommendation for an instructor? We’ll be skiing midweek in early February for a few days and we’re thinking about doing a private lesson for 2 or 3 of us. Thanks!
Brad Poppleton, L3- he's from my neck of the woods, say hi from a Royal Mt skier..

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 10 yesterday was a bit of rinse and repeat from the day before. It was even foggier and emptier. Run of the day was the viper pit into lower Skyeburst. Completely empty three times I did it doing (trying to) edge-locked carves from trail edge to trail edge like our instructor at Taos had us do last January. As per other threads, I would sneak a peak uphill to check my back. Empty! If you know Skyeburst that it is not at all common.

Superstar was boilerplate and brown was actually showing through in spots. Horrid stretch of weather. :nono: At least we are getting a little snow today.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 11: Website says two inches but it skied like more, perhaps because it was a little wet. Superstar was fabulous (to quote a demonstrative friend) after the last two days, but then I hit it early. The snow covered the brown spots. Lower Skyelark bumps were friendlier with a little snow on them. Bittersweet was still pretty rough. Headed to Bear Mtn quad and lapped there starting on Bear Claw then mixing in lower Wildfire, Viper Pit, and lower Skyeburst. Bear Claw was getting pretty chewed up by the traffic and side scrappers. I decided I needed a burger and beer more than the ensuing Friday crowds and chaos, and headed to the Lookout...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online