• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Nice quiet bluebird Tuesday at The Beast. Firm and fast conditions ruled the day. East Fall was impeccably manicured out of the gate. With the sun shining we quickly headed over to Bear running into @Marker. Best turns of the morning were found under the guns running on Vertigo and Ovation. Lower Skylark was paved with sketchy ice surface that you needed to gather enough snow under skis to allow a turn. Glad to be back skiing the mountain I love.

Vertigo Headwall
IMG_2573.jpg
Thick stuff
IMG_2575.jpg

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a great day again also. Parked lower Vale and did a few runs at Ramshead. Took the K1 up and worked our way over to Bear for a while. Had lunch at the K1 lodge and spent the rest of the afternoon between Rime and Reason (icy) and then lapping Snowdon. Did they just change the rating for Mousetrap? Finished the day with a run down header.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a great day again also. Parked lower Vale and did a few runs at Ramshead. Took the K1 up and worked our way over to Bear for a while. Had lunch at the K1 lodge and spent the rest of the afternoon between Rime and Reason (icy) and then lapping Snowdon. Did they just change the rating for Mousetrap? Finished the day with a run down header.
When I started skiing Killington a few years back but long like most here, Mouse Trap was a black with gated exit since Great Northern crossed right in front of it. Bad setup! When they installed the tunnels and rerouted Great Northern to overlap Caper, Mouse Trap disappeared and was renamed as part of Bunny Buster as a blue. Another bad idea as the slope was littered with beginners that could not handle its steepness. So back to black Mouse Trap with gated entrance! I don't love the gates, but its probably for the best.

Nice quiet bluebird Tuesday at The Beast. Firm and fast conditions ruled the day. East Fall was impeccably manicured out of the gate. With the sun shining we quickly headed over to Bear running into @Marker. Best turns of the morning were found under the guns running on Vertigo and Ovation. Lower Skylark was paved with sketchy ice surface that you needed to gather enough snow under skis to allow a turn. Glad to be back skiing the mountain I love.

Vertigo Headwall
View attachment 191752
Thick stuff
View attachment 191753
Today was pretty nice unless you found the surface of the Moon on Skyelark and lower Wildfire! We were skiing with visiting friends the last two days and the rest of the week so trying to keep to more manageable terrain unless we can peel off occasionally for some interesting terrain. Also ran into @mister moose yesterday who was looking good as ever with those smooth turns.

Apparently PSIA is running clinics and instructor testing this week at Killington. Snowshed ballroom was packed with them booting up the last few mornings and you could clusters of them around the mountain.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol I think Mouse Trap got me the first time I was here as it was the second run I did at Killington. It was all bumped up and I realized I had to throw my Pocono concept of trail ratings out the window. ogsmile We had a private lesson yesterday and our instructor pointed the PISA clinics out to us. Saw several groups of them today.

James

Out There
Instructor
Snowshed ballroom was packed with them booting up the last few mornings and you could clusters of them around the mountain.
You should get in there and ask questions. Like, “so what is it that you do at these things?” And, “there’s a judge??”
Could be very entertaining.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wrapped up our four day trip today with another great day of skiing. Nice to have decent snow after a rough January at home. Was great to see Eagles fans representing there. Lots of Go Birds given and several Eagles chants. . Looking forward to getting back here with my daughter in a few weeks.

On a scary note I witnessed a bad crash on Bunny Buster this morning. I was stopped at the top of Mousetrap waiting for some friends to catch when someone a few hundred yards up from me on Bunny Buster seemed to catch an edge and careened towards the safety fence. They went airborne, hit the fence and flipped into the woods. There were a few skiers above them that didn’t seem to see it happen and passed right by. I couldn’t see any movement from where I was at and flagged down a green jacket/host to report it. Hope they are ok

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will be spinning some laps this morning at Killington before heading back south around lunchtime. @Guy in Shorts, if you are up to a few turns DM me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We went to Pico today with visiting friends for a calm day of skiing. The wide groomers were good for them although the husband enjoyed the blue glades and ungroomed tree trails. Snow was nice and soft, but we quit when the rain started. I sneaked in two runs on upper KA and joined for the lower blue parts.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Spun laps at Killington from 9a to noon today. Snow was buttery over most of the resort where the groomers had worked their magic. Superstar was a "Goldilocks" setup: the top was sugary, the middle had been scoured to some of the World Cup "surface," and the final headwall was firm but edgeable. All lifts were basically ski-on - lovely!

The temperature inversion in northern New England was visible from the higher elevations: smog trapped in the colder valleys, warmer temps at higher elevations. It's no wonder that the snow is turning (has turned?) to rain.

I left just as the snow started at K1.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m here for the weekend staying at the CJSC lodge again. I’m meeting my brother and his family but he’s going to mostly be relegated to green and blue groomers since my SIL is just learning. I would love to meet up and ski a few runs with any Skitalkers that are around.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m here for the weekend staying at the CJSC lodge again. I’m meeting my brother and his family but he’s going to mostly be relegated to green and blue groomers since my SIL is just learning. I would love to meet up and ski a few runs with any Skitalkers that are around.
Sorry, just seeing this now, but I was at Killington today - it was a great day on the mountain and for once the sun did shine!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sorry, just seeing this now, but I was at Killington today - it was a great day on the mountain and for once the sun did shine!
It was a good day. The best conditions were on Outer Limits under the guns, hands down. I spent about half the day doing blue and green cruisers with my brother and SIL and the other half hitting all the fun stuff. Downdraft, cascade, vertigo, stitchline(ugly) etc. and even hiked up to upper catwalk(really ugly). I definitely left some p-Tex on a bunch of rocks and probably made some sparks here and there. The only time I lost a ski was a pretty epic double ejection/Superman near the bottom of OL when I stuffed my tips into the backside in a particularly deep trough. Not bad for my first real day of the season.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was a good day. The best conditions were on Outer Limits under the guns, hands down. I spent about half the day doing blue and green cruisers with my brother and SIL and the other half hitting all the fun stuff. Downdraft, cascade, vertigo, stitchline(ugly) etc. and even hiked up to upper catwalk(really ugly). I definitely left some p-Tex on a bunch of rocks and probably made some sparks here and there. The only time I lost a ski was a pretty epic double ejection/Superman near the bottom of OL when I stuffed my tips into the backside in a particularly deep trough. Not bad for my first real day of the season.
Nice to meet you at the lodge this morning. Next time you come up we'll definitely get together for some runs.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington was really good today. The crowds were less than in previous weeks and there was a fresh 2 inches of snow combined with the overnight grooming meant that those trails were in pretty good condition at least until the early afternoon. We didn’t sample the ungroomed terrain as it was warm on Friday followed by the freeze - so having ”been there, done that” we stuck to the groomed terrain which was fairly extensive — from Bear Mountain alll the way over to Ramshead

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another good day, even better than yesterday. I don’t think I waited more than 5 minutes for a lift all day. Again, OL was the ROTD. I hit it at least 6 times. I also skied places this weekend that I don’t think I have even been despite skiing there pretty regularly for more than three decades. found myself generally skiing slower and concentrating on maximum control this weekend. I also started focusing on engaging my little toe edge.I noticed I had a bit of a stem going on that I need to correct and that seemed to help noticeably.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 39 at Killington on our best powder day (8") in a while. I left the Rangers at home and stayed with the M-Pro 90's. We tried to stay on the black natural and ungroomed trails as much as possible to avoid the President Week crowds and really work the bumps to take advantage of the soft snow. Ridge Run, East Fall, Old Superstar twice, Superstar, and lower Skyelark had the frozen base lurking underneath the soft piles. Spied @Guy in Shorts and crew heading down Double Dipper from the Canyon Quad, but we opted for Royal Flush, which had pretty thin cover, but the first time down it for us. South Ridge area was not too busy for a couple laps and we ventured down The Jug, but bailed at Escape due to the many rocks lurking down slope. Lower Pipe Dream was better on the right bumpy side with the left a little too icy underneath. Upper Needle's Eye into Chunnel was a little thin, but the Needle's bumps under the gondi were full of soft fresh snow and so much fun! Our legs were cooked by then and we didn't get to our entire wish list. Hopefully the snow holds up on the rest until tomorrow.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ll be late to the party with not getting there until tomorrow night but really looking forward to it.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bear Mtn Quad spins at 7:30 am on Saturday to encourage folks to park there and they are asking folks to carpool. Expect a total creepshow!
Thanks for the the heads up. Not a fan of skiing on weekends but with kids there aren’t many options. I guess we will need to get up real early if we want a front row spot in K1 or the Vale lot. The other family that we are going with rented skis for their kids at Snowshed. We just may need to meet up with them after they get situated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid