• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie

Booting up
Skier
Is Mammoth Scenic Loop well lit?

I will be driving to the MM Inn and arriving late at night. Heading south on 395 Google maps show turning right onto Mammoth Scenic loop.

Just wondering how well that road is lit and if I should take it or continue on 395 and come in on 203 (Main Street).

I will be driving this week and the forecast is clear so road snow is not a concern.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier

I will be driving to the MM Inn and arriving late at night. Heading south on 395 Google maps show turning right onto Mammoth Scenic loop.

Just wondering how well that road is lit and if I should take it or continue on 395 and come in on 203 (Main Street).

I will be driving this week and the forecast is clear so road snow is not a concern.
We do that drive quite often from the bay. Its not lit at all but we havent had any issues driving through it late at night. Lots of folks seem to car camp on the sides of the road there.

If there is snow on the ground/packed, id say take the 203 as it could be quicker and safer to a degree. Scenic/escape route has a short downhill that can be dicey when there is ice/packed snow on the road (where it merges with 203)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Natural lighing, it depends what phase the moon is in and how clear the sky is. ;)

Like @SpeedyKevin, we take it all the time, it has never been an issue.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take the loop when you go home , scenic loop in the dark ??
Take 203 so you can see the town and shops from the main drag.
If it’s your first time I would go to Main Lodge to see what they have to offer and have lunch at the Mill to see what it has to offer.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take the loop when you go home , scenic loop in the dark ??
Take 203 so you can see the town and shops from the main drag.
If it’s your first time I would go to Main Lodge to see what they have to offer and have lunch at the Mill to see what it has to offer.
Best Hefeweizen at Yodler! that the beef strogg is pretty good

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
We typically do our weekend run up’s when it’s raining midweek so we’ve gotten some TRULY FANTASTIC scenic loops, I mean it’s no Hope Valley but still well worth it !

Tony

tseeb
Skier
as Others have said, not lit.
It is plowed, but ice remains in shaded areas, just watch speed.
@MountainMonster knows Mammoth way better than me. Except for one RV trip, I drive down from SLT in early AM. There was a mid-May storm in 2015 when I drove Scenic Route in 6-12" untracked new snow. I think there is a sign leaving 203 saying it is not plowed at night.

What happened to NV gas prices? Last Winter/Spring Carson City and Minden were $1/gal less than least expensive (not Tahoe/Truckee) CA. Now Carson City Costco is higher than San Jose Costco.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@MountainMonster knows Mammoth way better than me.

What happened to NV gas prices? Last Winter/Spring Carson City and Minden were $1/gal less than least expensive (not Tahoe/Truckee) CA. Now Carson City Costco is higher than San Jose Costco.
A month ago gas in Nevada city CA (not known for low gas prices.) was less than Costco’s in Roseville Ca or Carson city.

Back to normal now Carson Coty is 80 cents/gal less. Bridgeport stayed high. Today Shell there is $6.99.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Are lifts 4&17 operating midweek like tomorrow (Thursday ) out of canyon lodge ?
They have been all this week, 10 was down yesterday for haul line inspection.
I heard rumors of 16 running too.

edit: 21 is also running

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.