• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
We are playing May 29 for a few days. Needed to get on the attendance list this years Mammoth May Spring Gathering.

Reactions: mdf

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the deal with the yacht races? Am I right in assuming that folks will be careening down one of the runs in a cardboard box festooned with all manner of trash?
This is ABSOLUTELY correct. Don't know how many adults will be in the Yacht race...our group has two 9 yr old girls that will captaining the Viking ship. We are there to be there logistics support and their fan/groupies. They are going with a fierce viking theme so we have some garb to throw on over ski gear as a show of support. Mostly its just a big excuse to have fun in the sun.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Any reports on the overnight camping situation. Most places we have stayed so far have been light. Have the feeling that change at Mammoth.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is ABSOLUTELY correct. Don't know how many adults will be in the Yacht race...our group has two 9 yr old girls that will captaining the Viking ship. We are there to be there logistics support and their fan/groupies. They are going with a fierce viking theme so we have some garb to throw on over ski gear as a show of support. Mostly its just a big excuse to have fun in the sun.
What was the name of the boat? I met up (finally) with @socalgal and her family and we watched the races (we stayed for only a few of the adult entries as my son was getting hungry and over heated). I think Monkey Machine won for most epic dismount... (video to follow)

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What was the name of the boat? I met up (finally) with @socalgal and her family and we watched the races (we stayed for only a few of the adult entries as my son was getting hungry and over heated). I think Monkey Machine won for most epic dismount... (video to follow)
Salty Puppies. The girls are 9 and they rocked it! We had Viking/yacht theme. It was a bit scary when the boat with some bigger boys flew through the retaining fence and OVER the brake ramp and were, luckily, uninjured. I suspect the Mammoth General Counsel would've cringed if he saw that one. Overall..what an amazingly fun day and event. Second annual and it will be a regular for us. Great crowd. Fun boat names and great spirit by all the competitors. The crowd gave them all good support but especially the kids. The skiing was great up top as well and tomorrow will be a bit more about the skiing since today had a lot of logistics with getting the girls checked in for the race. We finished the day with some European style Apre ski at Yodler with the DJ and people dancing on picnic tables out on the patio...Mammoth really does know how to do springtime ski celebrations. So fun. We will be back out there tomorrow for those who are around. Lemme know!

tempImage7WtQ0G.jpg

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
PSA? Mammoth salts A LOT this time of the year - I always carry 2 gallons of water in the car to rinse off my skis at the end of the day. A woman saw me doing this at stump this week and asked why...... am I just being overly protective? Anyone else?

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe if you get on the prep'd race/training courses, not so sure about elsewhere .... possibly for the loading/unloading areas?

I don't think they use it that much other than those few specific applications, but --salt bad! Best to rinse (also removes dirt/dust/grit). I do.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe if you get on the prep'd race/training courses, not so sure about elsewhere .... possibly for the loading/unloading areas?
I've always heard they spread it around, but don't really know anything. There is this, from Mammoth Snowman blog earlier this week:

"Early mornings at 7:30 AM, when the lifts open, you will find crisp, firm-groomed Snow. The grooming crew is using lots of salt at this time, so even with the warmer overnight lows, the groomed Snow has been setting up well."

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So it sounds like the grooming machines might be spraying salt at the same time they're grooming? It just seems like they'd be having to re-load constantly, which I've never observed during their evening grooming runs. And I thought there were environmental restrictions on how much salt they could use. I mean, I like the improved snow with salt application, but if it's at a significant environmental cost, I'll flounder in the slush please. I've seen the lifties throwing salt on the loading/unloading ramps during the day, but that's all.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of fun yesterday... @locknload I was asking every viking wearing guy walking by, "Are you...???":roflmao:

View attachment 204505 View attachment 204506 View attachment 204507 View attachment 204509

We all got a lot of sun yesterday.

Sorry we missed you SoCal girl! Looks like you guys are having a great time..glad you kept asking Vikings if they were us! Lol. The Yacht Party is so fun and we are going to make this a regular tradition. Got some great runs in today as well off the top. Wipe out and Dropout Chutes were just awesome mush moguls!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure the race courses are salted overnight when they are doing formal training. And I've seen some salt spread in the terrain park (there were big stacks of bags of salt near the rope line).

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm pretty sure the race courses are salted overnight when they are doing formal training. And I've seen some salt spread in the terrain park (there were big stacks of bags of salt near the rope line).
Makes sense; the manicuring that goes on for the parks and courses far exceeds the regular grooming. The annoying ridges left on the "regular" grooming runs are never seen on the more seriously groomed features. Makes it worth the effort to camp out and catch the rope drop on the race/training courses.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Salty Puppies. The girls are 9 and they rocked it! We had Viking/yacht theme. It was a bit scary when the boat with some bigger boys flew through the retaining fence and OVER the brake ramp and were, luckily, uninjured. I suspect the Mammoth General Counsel would've cringed if he saw that one. Overall..what an amazingly fun day and event. Second annual and it will be a regular for us. Great crowd. Fun boat names and great spirit by all the competitors. The crowd gave them all good support but especially the kids. The skiing was great up top as well and tomorrow will be a bit more about the skiing since today had a lot of logistics with getting the girls checked in for the race. We finished the day with some European style Apre ski at Yodler with the DJ and people dancing on picnic tables out on the patio...Mammoth really does know how to do springtime ski celebrations. So fun. We will be back out there tomorrow for those who are around. Lemme know!

View attachment 204499
Then your wife was next to me as the boat ran the course (we were standing at the finish line. I have some video that may be presentable lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online