• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2022-2023 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
I would say to look closely at the weather. This time of year the ski hill can be perfect corn spring conditions or a sheet of ice.

Hmm well that sure sounds hit or miss! I took at look at the forecast. Doesn't appear to be much sun between now and next weekend and a few chances of snow.

Given that forecast would you be of the thinking that things would be nice (wintry not spring) or icy?

Cheers!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd head up there. Even if icy, this time of year Moose will soften up quickly in the morning and then you can ski Eagle in the afternoon.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took my boys up to Ski Brule yesterday to meet some friends staying at a cabin up there. It was an adventure. Pouring rain when we left quickly turning to sloppy snow.

And further up already had easily between 12”-24” of snow in the ground. Pulled a truck out of the ditch who promptly went back in less than 10 miles later at a pretty good rate of speed. I made sure they didn’t roll and get injured, waved and continued on. He earned his time in the ditch this time and could wait for a tow truck. Obviously didn’t learn his lesson.

unplowed or single lane all the way up. Blizzaks and 4wd came in handy. We actually had as much fun on the drive as we did skiing and the skiing was awesome.

What difference a day makes though. Pictures are of the same road. One in the morning and one in the evening coming home.

C710CE5D-FC70-4EEB-A91B-61F41592AAD1.jpeg

Attachments

• AD4D90B8-2E10-4158-B902-81CD92A71A30.jpeg
    AD4D90B8-2E10-4158-B902-81CD92A71A30.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
I went to Spirit mountain yesterday and the snow was fabulous despite the weather being gray and gloomy in the morning! All the runs were still open.
IMG_20230402_162350104.jpg

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last weekend for Lutsen here. It's crazy that in a massive snow year for them they're done so early...
The week of 80 degrees down near Chicago didn't help.

Sounds like they had a great year though. Ditto for Ironwood resorts. The same can't be said about anyone south of Wausau.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
Last weekend for Lutsen here. It's crazy that in a massive snow year for them they're done so early...
I'm bummed they're calling it quits a couple weekends too early. On the website it says because of the Raptor express.
I want to go there but I really didn't feel like skiing in the pouring rain and 50mph winds this weekend.
I'm also bummed Spirit is done too. I was there last Friday and they had so much snow still.
I went to Mont Du Lac for the first time yesterday for their last day. It was a complete mess there but hey, it's skiing and their bowl was alot of fun. There was still a bunch of snow sitting around up there. On my drive there it had dropped 30°.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
Me, fiancé, and 6 year old made our first trip to the UP and skied Snowriver. We loved it, stayed in a condo type thing. Not ski in/ski out but close enough for when the ladies want to take a break. Snow was good but we missed storms before and after. How does Big Powderhorn compare?

We live less than 10 minutes from Buck Hill but can’t really stand it. It’s great for the 6 year old but not so much for us. We did epic pass this year for Afton and out west but Afton was so disappointing this year We decided not to do season long pass this year. The chair lifts suck, they don’t open enough chairs etc…We went with Welch family pass for next year and we’ll just do the 3-7 day pass for Breckenridge next year.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, why hasn’t Vail put money into Afton chair upgrades? Are there plans to do so?

Because Vail has shown time and time again that they only care about selling Epic passes, and little else. They know they don't have to upgrade Afton at all and people will continue to buy Epic passes, ski at Afton a few times and complain, and then do it again the next year.

I still can't believe that Ikon hasn't included a local MN or WI resort to their offerings to compete with Epic. It seems like a no brainer with the number of people who ski here locally and take a trip out west each year.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm watching these Lutsen updates pretty carefully and
I was really hoping Welch would jump to Ikon, so much better than Afton

Welch, Wild or Troll. You would think 1 of them would get included. Twin Cities metro has a TON of skiers overall, and a lot of people who take trips out west. It must not be cost effective for them to do so, but you'd think with what Vail has done that it would make sense for Ikon as well.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because Vail has shown time and time again that they only care about selling Epic passes, and little else. They know they don't have to upgrade Afton at all and people will continue to buy Epic passes, ski at Afton a few times and complain, and then do it again the next year.

I still can't believe that Ikon hasn't included a local MN or WI resort to their offerings to compete with Epic. It seems like a no brainer with the number of people who ski here locally and take a trip out west each year.
bite your tongue!! :roflmao:

I'd have mixed feelings but at least for me, any hill would likely be one I could visit but not too near. I've picked up the Indy Pass for next year and hope to use it to visit some new places. My kid got a new job so her weekends may be free enough to tag along and give me a ski buddy

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do wonder if some of the local hills would be worried about Ikon making them too buys which seems weird, but seriously, Welch and Troll were already sold out a bunch of days this season. Troll, for instance, sold out every friday night and most Saturdays' in January and Feb. They really don't need more weekend business.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
Troll, for instance, sold out every friday night and most Saturdays' in January and Feb. They really don't need more weekend business.
I concur! Having worked there this season I skied more during the week, avoiding Saturdays like the plague.
Now I have a regular job and will unfortunately have to return to the weekend warrior crowd fighting routine .

Status
Not open for further replies.