• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2022-2023 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Most the places in Michigan Lower Penisula got in a snowmaking run over the weekend.
Up north resorts blew snow Sat & Sun nights and Holly, Pine Knob, Alpine got in a few hours last night.

With the 7-10 day it is looking pretty good that there will be skiing at a few places for Thanksgiving weekend.

I would not even be surprised is somebody gives in a go maybe this upcoming weekend, with the usual suspects who will open a run or two on 2-3 nights of snowmaking (e.g., Mt Holly, Pine Knob)

Ski Brule will be open this weekend, Nov 19 & 20.

I'm not driving nine hours each way to ski two runs, but don't let me stop you.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Tyrol Basin is opening Saturday and Little Switz.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Alpine Valley, Wisconsin is opening Friday Nov 18.

Only six hours each way, but I still think I can restrain myself.

I seriously hope no one ever drives six hours there to ski, going to a concert different story.

AV gets so much love on social media and in general it seems, maybe as the anti Wilmot who knows. Maybe it's just me but I've hated AV since I was a kid and have been back more recently, still hate it.

Nothing like 200' of flat vertical to get you going. Maybe 250'. I guess more then Wilmot and their 170' but I don't know, Wilmot was always more fun.

I always drive the extra hour for Chestnut or Cascade, etc.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Never heard of a lake induced mesolow but that's a term and that's what is starting in UP with 18"+ now expected in and around Big Powderhorn/ Snowriver and Porkies by tomorrow. Lucky them. Forecast showed lake effect potential from tonight into the weekend but as of yesterday nothing like this for Wed>Thu.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
336 PM EST Wed Nov 16 2022 /236 PM CST Wed Nov 16 2022/

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM THURSDAY TO 7 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT, Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 18 inches with localized areas as high as 2 feet.

* WHERE, Ontonagon and Gogebic

* WHEN, 1 AM Thursday to 7 AM EST Friday

* IMPACTS, Travel could be very difficult to impossible in some areas.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In the U.P.
316057999_6271909672823336_3693581963604493084_n.jpg

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like a lot of snow at some of the best Midwest resorts. Keep it coming.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
In Michigan LP...... this weekend feels more like mid-Jan than Mid-Nov.

Looks like Pine Knob will open first on Sun 11/20...

Here is roughly what I've seen or heard on social media.

Sun 11/20
Pine Knob

Mon 11/21
Mt. Holly
Alpine Valley
Bitersweet

Thu 11/24 (Thanksgiving)
Nubs Nob
Boyne Highlands
Boyne Mountain

Fri 11/25
Caberfae
Crystal Mt.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was hoping on skiing at Tyrol Basin after Thursday, but I don't like skiing when the temps are above 32. Oh, well, I'll go when more is covered later in the season.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was hoping on skiing at Tyrol Basin after Thursday, but I don't like skiing when the temps are above 32. Oh, well, I'll go when more is covered later in the season.

Opening day was awesome. They've done a great job covering two-three runs plus park opened so crowds could spread. Snowed on and off almost all day on Saturday. Light accumulation, but kept the hills soft though. Super fun until it got packed around lunch time, then lift line got to about 10+minutes, which is my wait limit on 260' vertical.

But yeah, I probably would not come down to ski in 45 degree weather. The 10 day is looking much better and should be back to business.

New Tyrol ownership has been awesome. They are really just putting in a 110% into that place for what they have to deal with. Glad it's my home base.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Opening day was awesome. They've done a great job covering two-three runs plus park opened so crowds could spread. Snowed on and off almost all day on Saturday. Light accumulation, but kept the hills soft though. Super fun until it got packed around lunch time, then lift line got to about 10+minutes, which is my wait limit on 260' vertical.

But yeah, I probably would not come down to ski in 45 degree weather. The 10 day is looking much better and should be back to business.

New Tyrol ownership has been awesome. They are really just putting in a 110% into that place for what they have to deal with. Glad it's my home base.
I grew up at Tyrol, when they used to have freestyle jump training under the lifts. :)

I'll be back in the area 2nd week of December, so maybe then. I have not been back since the early 80s. But I might wait until everything is covered an try the newer wood section.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What?!? Why?

Do you not like slush bumps? Or do you not go through melt-freeze-melt cycles and need things to soften up in the warmth? :)
Do not like at beginning of the season and on only a few runs. Midwest <> bumps. :)

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I grew up at Tyrol, when they used to have freestyle jump training under the lifts. :)

I'll be back in the area 2nd week of December, so maybe then. I have not been back since the early 80s. But I might wait until everything is covered an try the newer wood section.
DM me if you come down. If I can escape, I'll do a few laps with you if you want company.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January