• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2022-2023 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like another La Nina very average at best December in the making.

Maybe 2023 we'll finally have some snow and cold to accompany Christmas lights at some point in the month. Going on three years.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heading to Trollhaugen tonight for my first time out with my older son. GS training is underway...

I could have gone earlier, but I like to wait until they have a few runs open before we get out there.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone have Star Tribune subscription that can copy the article about Giants Ridge and underrated from last weekend? Thanks. Can't access it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have Star Tribune subscription that can copy the article about Giants Ridge and underrated from last weekend? Thanks. Can't access it.
If you want someone to share in private, that's OK @Beach Bum. But we can only post excerpts/small portions in threads. We can't post or republish whole articles in public threads (and especially not to get around paywalls/subscriptions) and would have to delete it if posted.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you want someone to share in private, that's OK @Beach Bum. But we can only post excerpts/small portions in threads. We can't post or republish whole articles in public threads (and especially not to get around paywalls/subscriptions) and would have to delete it if posted.
Okay, I figured it was like free marketing where a really good article would urge people to sign up for a subscription.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I figured it was like free marketing where a really good article would urge people to sign up for a subscription.
Maybe, if the publication itself wants to try that (many news/media sites make some number of articles free per month or year for that reason). Outside of that, it's not this site's call to make.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ended up reading it didn't ask me to log in. I've always wanted to ski Giants Ridge but doesn't make much sense for me coming from Chicago area. I like the layout, size, scenery, etc.

But for a shorter drive to get to Ironwood or Marquette or similar drive to Keweenaw that's where I end up when going in Midwest.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ended up reading it didn't ask me to log in. I've always wanted to ski Giants Ridge but doesn't make much sense for me coming from Chicago area. I like the layout, size, scenery, etc.

But for a shorter drive to get to Ironwood or Marquette or similar drive to Keweenaw that's where I end up when going in Midwest.

What was the article about overall?

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
What was the article about overall?

That it's sort of off beaten path with minimal marketing, yet year in year out they deliver. MN high school state finals for downhill and cross country are held there, lots of workshops, ski patrol training, etc.

It's known to be reliably good, less costly than some other places. Good terrain, good vibe, good scenery, etc.

The comment section is great. People bitching about govt subsidies or saying Lutsen is close they just go there. Others saying it isn't that remote it's on the iron range which has decent activity in the area.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
That it's sort of off beaten path with minimal marketing, yet year in year out they deliver. MN high school state finals for downhill and cross country are held there, lots of workshops, ski patrol training, etc.

It's known to be reliably good, less costly than some other places. Good terrain, good vibe, good scenery, etc.

The comment section is great. People bitching about govt subsidies or saying Lutsen is close they just go there. Others saying it isn't that remote it's on the iron range which has decent activity in the area.

That sounds about right lol... If you haven't been there, I definitely recommend a trip there. They have a ton of ski in ski out lodging on site, A high speed lift and another new lift and some pretty dang steep runs for the midwest on 500+' of vert. I skied there a ton in high school and always loved it.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are we going to try and set up a Skitalk midwest meet up this year? I know we've talked about in the past with no success. I'd be in for sure on that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are we going to try and set up a Skitalk midwest meet up this year? I know we've talked about in the past with no success. I'd be in for sure on that.
What the heck is a "meet up"? .... Are you sure you didn't mean a "Gathering"? :D

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess Tyrol Basin and Cascade got around 4-6" of wet snow today.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess Tyrol Basin and Cascade got around 4-6" of wet snow today.
arg, I did ponder Tyrol on route to Milwaukee this weekend but will push it off another week.

Mother nature is being cruel so far, maybe a change will be a coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor