• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 New York Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Question for Gore locals/skiers….where do people stay if headed to Gore for a long weekend? We have a group of 7…..Anybody know of any lodging they would recommend?
Some go down to Lake George hotels but that's 40-50min away
there is no lodging on the Mt..
There are a few hotel/motels near Gore and you may want to check out AirBNB VRBO for condos
I stay at the Super8 in Warrensburg- clean, modest but not much $$$- Price chopper right next door for take out meals or
try any of the local restaurants.

I was at Gore yesterday - they picked up 5" this past Sunday- and have blowing tons of snow.
Topridge is open and all the trails off that are open.
The lower Mt has Showcase, Sunway, Big Air
North side has Tawahas- and they are blowing Sleeping bear now

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dave M (Or anyone else) - it sounds like you know these areas pretty well.
Questions - my niece lived in the deep south for 10 years and moved south of Oneonta this past year.
She wants to get back on a snowboard. I've thought of meeting at Elk, or Labrador, where i am familiar. Those areas are both about 1-1/2hrs for each of us from different directions & I know the trails for an easy start with longish rides, then a little more interesting terrain (easy blues) if it turns out she is chaffing at the bit.
OTOH, i'd like to explore Plattekill & Gore which are close for her.
Plattekill looks almost ideal - long greens and blues from the top, and some tougher terrain for me. (I'm happy on blacks, not so much on double blacks) Gore looks really interesting, but more complex to get around?

Which one would you do for a low-key first outing?
Is Belleayre in the running? I've kind of ignored it, but maybe overlooking something?
Ruling out Windham at first on price, Hunter at first as being just a bit further distance.

I'm guessing unless something changes in the next couple weeks, board rental will be necessary so that could be a factor in area selection?

Probably mid-week, day.

smt

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plattskill is a local resort, great when there is snow in the forecast. For regular condition, do Belleayre. But if Gore is closer, then I would stick with Gore. Don't know about Gore. For Belleayre area, you can do potter brothers off the thruway, or Belleayre Ski Shop (formerly known as jimmy's) by Belleayre. There are ton more rental shops on the way to Hunter and Windham.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Dave M (Or anyone else) - it sounds like you know these areas pretty well.
Questions - my niece lived in the deep south for 10 years and moved south of Oneonta this past year.
She wants to get back on a snowboard. I've thought of meeting at Elk, or Labrador, where i am familiar. Those areas are both about 1-1/2hrs for each of us from different directions & I know the trails for an easy start with longish rides, then a little more interesting terrain (easy blues) if it turns out she is chaffing at the bit.
OTOH, i'd like to explore Plattekill & Gore which are close for her.
Plattekill looks almost ideal - long greens and blues from the top, and some tougher terrain for me. (I'm happy on blacks, not so much on double blacks) Gore looks really interesting, but more complex to get around?

Which one would you do for a low-key first outing?
Is Belleayre in the running? I've kind of ignored it, but maybe overlooking something?
Ruling out Windham at first on price, Hunter at first as being just a bit further distance.

I'm guessing unless something changes in the next couple weeks, board rental will be necessary so that could be a factor in area selection?

Probably mid-week, day.

smt

Come to Royal Mt in Caroga Lake- fun small family Mt. nice slope to learn, can take lessons. then go up to Gore about 1.5hr from Royal
Plattekill is very steep---except the green off the top.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had not heard of Royal and it looks like a cool area, plus the type of place i like: They make skiing affordable for families and "normal" people!

However, it offers no advantage in distance for either of us, in fact it is a bit further than the areas mentioned. My season pass & ski school connections are at Song/Lab, which are bigger. I was really hoping to ski Plattekill mid-week. Or try Gore if it was not too complex for a first outing with niece. Starting to seem like Belleayre or Elk are probably the final 2 unless she wants really low key, in which case Lab is still in the running. Great small area for laps, but "interesting" greens and blues are limited although they are long enough. She is not available (work) until after the holidaze, so still plenty of planning time. It is also sounding like i probably should save Plattekill until later in the season when they have more snow, and legs are comfortably back, maybe even some skill development beyond last year.

Thanks for the insights!
smt

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had not heard of Royal and it looks like a cool area, plus the type of place i like: They make skiing affordable for families and "normal" people!

However, it offers no advantage in distance for either of us, in fact it is a bit further than the areas mentioned. My season pass & ski school connections are at Song/Lab, which are bigger. I was really hoping to ski Plattekill mid-week. Or try Gore if it was not too complex for a first outing with niece. Starting to seem like Belleayre or Elk are probably the final 2 unless she wants really low key, in which case Lab is still in the running. Great small area for laps, but "interesting" greens and blues are limited although they are long enough. She is not available (work) until after the holidaze, so still plenty of planning time. It is also sounding like i probably should save Plattekill until later in the season when they have more snow, and legs are comfortably back, maybe even some skill development beyond last year.

Thanks for the insights!
smt

Very welcome, Gore is my midweek home Mt It's not complex- They should have just about all the beginner/intermediate terrain open after this storm- they have 10.5" so far and it's snowing heavily still. One problem for boarders IMO Gore has the most horizontal in the East- you can avoid the flats if you stay on the lower Mt and Ski Sunway, Showcase, etc. or North side without having to walk. It's coming back off the top- and from the Straight brook chair by Hawkeye - getting back over to the top of the cloud- the cloud starts at the top of the Mt and goes back to the Saddle (top of Adirondack Express quad) there is a very long flat at the end of it so if you don't 'bomb' the hill- you skate or walk. also getting over to Burnt Ridge quad can be a very long walk. But there is plenty to ski/board to avoid those spots.

Note: the International University games are at Gore and Whiteface Jan 12-22-- sounds like PIA to get in lodge w/bag checks- it will take 15min to go thru just my ski bag- it has everything from duct tape to clif bars in it! https://goremountain.com/fisu-world-university-games/
If it works out that you come to Gore let me know- I'd take you on a Mt tour :)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Plattekill is not open mid-week.
Wait - you mean ever?
My bad, they do open on Friday after the New Year. Plus they also open on "Powder Daze". Criteria is a foot of snow I believe.

Plattekill doesn't make snow as aggressively as Belleayre. So early season Bell often has more trails open.

Plattekill is actually perfect destination for weekends. It's one of the least crowded mountain in the area with the most interesting terrain. I've taken some very jaded friends (people who ski in Beaver Creek once a year) to it and they love it!

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Gore looks really interesting, but more complex to get around?
The chairs from the main base lodge offer lots of cruising blues, so not complex if you stick to that. Black terrain is elsewhere, so harder to share a lift then each find what you are looking for on the way down.

Skimunky

Booting up
Skier
I've only been to Plattekill once, but I like that place a lot. They apparently offer the mountain up for rental Monday through Thursday. I always thought it would be epic if a big meetup could be organized around renting out the mountain. I think Magic Mountain in Vermont is closed mid-week and has a similar mountain rental offering on those days.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very welcome, Gore is my midweek home Mt It's not complex- They should have just about all the beginner/intermediate terrain open after this storm- they have 10.5" so far and it's snowing heavily still. One problem for boarders IMO Gore has the most horizontal in the East- you can avoid the flats if you stay on the lower Mt and Ski Sunway, Showcase, etc. or North side without having to walk. It's coming back off the top- and from the Straight brook chair by Hawkeye - getting back over to the top of the cloud- the cloud starts at the top of the Mt and goes back to the Saddle (top of Adirondack Express quad) there is a very long flat at the end of it so if you don't 'bomb' the hill- you skate or walk. also getting over to Burnt Ridge quad can be a very long walk. But there is plenty to ski/board to avoid those spots.

Note: the International University games are at Gore and Whiteface Jan 12-22-- sounds like PIA to get in lodge w/bag checks- it will take 15min to go thru just my ski bag- it has everything from duct tape to clif bars in it! https://goremountain.com/fisu-world-university-games/
If it works out that you come to Gore let me know- I'd take you on a Mt tour :)
I highly recommend taking ADKmel up on that mountain tour offer! I was the beneficiary last year and it was awesome! (Except when we ended up on one of those flats and had to skate our way out.)

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I highly recommend taking ADKmel up on that mountain tour offer! I was the beneficiary last year and it was awesome! (Except when we ended up on one of those flats and had to skate our way out.)
This year there's a NEW Trail to get over to "little Gore/Old North Creek Ski Bowl" off of the Burnt Ridge chair.. supposedly it goes down to the bridge that access's little Gore and eliminates that long skate/walk, we all hope!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yesterday at Gore was like being out west- PERFECT packed powder and lots of natural trails open..
Snow guns all over the summit.. Going back today to celebrate winter solstice- wishing away the horrible weather coming friday :-(

1671623636068.png

1671623649905.png

fileguide

Booting up
Skier
Come to Royal Mt in Caroga Lake- fun small family Mt. nice slope to learn, can take lessons. then go up to Gore about 1.5hr from Royal
Plattekill is very steep---except the green off the top.

Royal is awesome. I taught my kids to ski first at Willard for a year, then at Royal for a year, then Butternut for a year and now we're at Gore for the long haul. Royal was absolutely perfect for that early phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor