• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI a lot of posts from me tonight because by tomorrow I might have drowned accidentally in my own basement.

Absolutely heinous week and (especially) day at my house. High pressure at work. Wendy down suddenly with Covid. Basement taking on water for (almost) the first time. Jury rigged utility pump with lots of rubber bands and zip ties barely keeping things dry. Excavating guys came and discovered that foundation drain was not built properly and is now completely full of sand. Root cause remediation many tens of thousands. Interim sump pump solution requires jackhammers and mula and a long wait time. Power is out due to a strong wind and rain storm. Trusty ancient little generator not starting. Half cooked dinner now burning on top of wood stove.

(Update: generator now running. Wendy feeling a bit better. Dinner passable. Power still out. Water still threatening. Mula still not replicating.)

Ouch !
We escaped the wind here in the south.
Sorry to hear you and others got hit.
I feel for you - one time I had to haul sand dunes out of my basement after the builder had left a tin can in the foundation wall after a water line was moved to a different location and it rusted away allowing 3 feet of water and tons of beach sand to flow in while I was away during a big nor'easter.
Good luck with the clean-up.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's another weather site focused exclusively on skiers/riders that I visit daily in winter. This guy, Skiology Matt, updates his predictions every day rather than weekly. He has a map with all the ski areas on it (VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, NY) and uses color coding to predict which areas will have wind holds, glare ice, potential for deep powder, and more. He uses lots of additional graphics. He leaves no stone unturned in his posts. It's amazing.

He posts on facebook.
I was an early supporter of this site, but Skiology Matt and I had a falling out after I got whelmed (not overwhelmed or underwhelmed… just whelmed) by his Informed White Man Opinions on police brutality, about which he was posting extensively on the Skiology Facebook page in summer 2020. Not saying this should be a positive, negative or neutral about this site and its owner — just putting it out there.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone at Sunday River today. I wanted to attend their Demo day today, but the rain scared me off. The radar looks bad, but hard to tell how heavy it is raining

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone at Sunday River today. I wanted to attend their Demo day today, but the rain scared me off. The radar looks bad, but hard to tell how heavy it is raining
It rained a bunch but I don't think it ever truly poured. Fog was in and out on T2, thankfully we were racing slalom and not GS. My older goretex pants soaked through, my newer and recently re-DWRed jacket did not.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto. Exactly. I think @MissySki might have braved the storm.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've timed it in the past. When they run it at full speed, which they usually do, it takes next to no time to get up the 6,610 feet of incline, 2,000 feet vertical rise, from base to summit. I can't remember the number of minutes. Could it be 4 minutes?? or 7 ??

Edit: I found it. 6 minutes.
http://www.skilifts.org/old/images/resort_images/nh-wildcat/express/express.htm
How long? Not enough time for my legs to recover.
Oh, and spectacular view from the top.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto. Exactly. I think @MissySki might have braved the storm.
I did indeed! It was a really fun day.. great snow, skied right onto the lift all day, no crowds, and got to demo of course. I stayed mostly dry, except for my hands.. really need to come up with a better solution to that weak link for rain days. It came down light though, it wasn’t raining heavily.

Monday Mourning opened and had fun whales to ski. Volkl Blaze 86 was my fave demo of the day, which was surprising since I usually hate anything Volkl.

0594474A-6305-47AA-96B3-2D2435EB7FAF.jpeg

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Finally got my skis tuned up, etc. Waxed, sharpened, etc. I remembered that the Killington Gathering left some decent sized dents/scratches, but nothing to really worry about. And besides, I'll be sure to add a few more.

I got new boots from PJ at Race Stock back in October. Planning on restarting the season on Sunday up at Stowe. I've decided that I'm done with the Saturday insanity; planning to ski a bunch of Sunday/Monday's this year. At least one free parking day that way!

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as you are already rocking the fashionable plastic bag, why not pair it with the equally fashionable snowblower gloves?
I’ll rock whatever keeps my hands dry at this point, I don’t care what it looks like lol. I do know some people who wear waterproof fisherman rubber type gloves in the rain here too. The only thing is, I prefer mittens because my hands always get cold.. so would depend on how cold it is. I was thinking of some Goretex covers to go over my mittens, but will need to look into them more. In the past it felt like I skied in the rain pretty minimally so I didn’t worry about it, but it feels like it’s getting more routine every year now unfortunately..

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I get it, I prefer mitts too. I've considered overmitts before too. They always say sized to fit over a liner glove, but you can likely size up to fit over your regular mitts instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online