• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With that said, when Sunday River actually has good base and soft snow on top (whether super-fresh or not), there is a metric s***ton of tree skiing to be had. It just doesn't usually stay good for all that long due to the damn thaw-freeze cycles.
Even last year we had a pretty good stretch. I have been more into the steeper woods and no lines on Whitecap.
D1D33C62-BD4E-4B0E-BD58-FCEC5B9CE980.jpeg

And the secret land between Oz and Jordan with never ending snow.
8C40980A-6FDB-43D7-BB0D-0E2408D13B07.png

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not so sure anymore. We used to get 2 comp tickets if we worked Christmas, so I worked it a lot. Usually a fun, quiet day. Then Vail came and ended that reward, so I skied somewhere else with family on Christmas. Covid and the epic pass might have changed the Christmas lull.
Alas, sounds like my info is out of date. Stuck in the good old days when that was the one day Loon was reliably empty. I didn't ski Christmas Day last season, but Sugarbush was empty much of the following week. Probably a combo of warm weather and Ikon blackouts.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alas, sounds like my info is out of date. Stuck in the good old days when that was the one day Loon was reliably empty. I didn't ski Christmas Day last season, but Sugarbush was empty much of the following week. Probably a combo of warm weather and Ikon blackouts.
Meh… it was still quite chill last year at least when I went. I wouldn’t worry about so-called crowds on Christmas Day if I were you. It’ll be a good time regardless!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied at Killington Dec 23-25 last year. We mostly skied North Ridge and Superstar lifts, and the Skyeship Gondola, and kept to blues and single blacks. There was much more terrain open, and in better condition than I expected, given the reports from elsewhere in NH, ME, VT, and our Christmas experience at Loon, Waterville, and Sunday River the years prior. I don't think double blacks were open. Many good skiers were doing laps on Superstar, but overall it was not crowded at all. K-1 lodge was charming. The families with young kids were at Ramshead, Snowshed (some lines there) and Snowdon. Christmas Day was a bit overcast and drizzly, so we all slept in. I didn't get out 'til noon. Maybe 3:30 I skied a slightly foggy Cruise Control and didn't encounter another soul. Imagine a run all to yourself on Christmas Day! We're returning to Killington this year.
Dear daughter and I atop the glacier on 12/23. Excuse the play arrow; I don't have patience to download software and learn to grab screen shot. She's wearing my ski suit from 1994!
Screenshot 2022-10-05 232735.png
Selfie in Skyeship Gondola on a balmy Christmas afternoon. The drizzle and fog kept the snow soft.
IMG_0836.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Christmas week at Killington has been all over the map since we started with season passes there a few years back. In two different weeks, we had bitter cold and several fresh pow days in a row. Otherwise just fairly quiet ski days mid-week. When I was still working the end of December was pretty open for unlimited skiing since nothing was going on in the labs at that time of year with everyone burning up leftover vacation. And now I'm retired but my daughter and her husband have to take their ski week sometime around Christmas due to their careers. Let's hope for a snowy Christmas this year!

As for passes, I opted for just a Killington season pass without the Ikon add-on as I need to play it closer to "home" this year. I do plan to attend the NEG in Saddleback.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone have opinions on renting ski gear in Stratton? Know some people going after Christmas. Staying on the mt in one of the Alterra owned lodges.
Rent with mt or another shop?

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have opinions on renting ski gear in Stratton? Know some people going after Christmas. Staying on the mt in one of the Alterra owned lodges.
Rent with mt or another shop?
I always rent from First Run ski shop- they have a nice selection of demo ski (as well as others) and you can ski right up to their back door (once the snow comes....)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is this thread so quiet? Maybe you all need a task... :D

I know this is early to ask, but I'll be in New England skiing January 20th and 21st. I have Ikon and Epic, and can go anywhere driving from Nashua, NH Thursday night. I've skied Okemo, Sugarbush, Mount Snow, Stratton, Killington, MRG, Stowe, Sunday River, and Mount Sunapee. But open to any place - Bretton Woods? Cannon? Smuggs? Loon? etc.

(Let's say under 3 hours drive - so Jay Peak and Sugarloaf are too far, Sunday River and Stowe are just close enough.)

Where am I skiing?

James

Out There
Instructor
Might as well stay in NH. Loon and Wildcat? Wildcat just makes it comfortably under your 3hrs. Assuming it’s not heinous weather. I suppose you could just do Bretton Woods while you’re up there.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Might as well stay in NH. Loon and Wildcat? Wildcat just makes it comfortably under your 3hrs. Assuming it’s not heinous weather. I suppose you could just do Bretton Woods while you’re up there.
One other thought... any preference between places as far as Saturday crowd avoidance?

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go to MRG on Friday and you’ll have the mountain to yourself. Well, except for when I show up to do two laps at lunchtime. And of course crowds will be minimal Saturday unless a powder day.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is this thread so quiet? Maybe you all need a task... :D

I know this is early to ask, but I'll be in New England skiing January 20th and 21st. I have Ikon and Epic, and can go anywhere driving from Nashua, NH Thursday night. I've skied Okemo, Sugarbush, Mount Snow, Stratton, Killington, MRG, Stowe, Sunday River, and Mount Sunapee. But open to any place - Bretton Woods? Cannon? Smuggs? Loon? etc.

(Let's say under 3 hours drive - so Jay Peak and Sugarloaf are too far, Sunday River and Stowe are just close enough.)

Where am I skiing?
Smuggs might be too far. Check.

Loon is mobbed on weekends, even more than other places.

You really should ski Wildcat or Cannon if you haven't and conditions are decent. They're icons, but unforgiving.

Bretton Woods is a snooze, terrain wise, but on a post-refreeze sort of day it can be perfect for just burning in your carved turns.

PS Keep me in the loop in case I can join you!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One other thought... any preference between places as far as Saturday crowd avoidance?

Loon is mobbed on weekends, even more than other places.
yes, because it is the closest to Boston.
(Although I've had good luck avoiding crowds by entering at south peak, going across the top to north peak, and never going to the bottom of the main hill. I went down once to see how bad it was. It was bad. ... but Loon has surprisingly decent skiing.)
Smuggs might be too far. Check.
When checking drive time on google maps, remember the default algorithm will take you over the pass between Stowe and Smuggs, which is closed in winter. Probably adds nearly an hour to the the drive.

Wish I could join you, but that is right before I leave for Taos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online