• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've heard for a few years from NH friends that Loon is always super crowded on Saturdays. I was there yesterday, and there was a gondi line all day, but we just about skied right on to all the others lifts.

This is also a particularly crowded Saturday, because of the new snow yesterday, and the pent up demand with the mediocre season so far. I was at Wildcat today and it was pretty crowded. 10-20 minute lift line at the main lift. But Loon was "sold out" per their website.

I’ve always avoided Loon because of the crowds. It’s been like that since well before Ikon.

Fair enough on both points, I think I got spoiled in 2019/2020 early season without crazy crowds. Still, the contrast with even last weekend in terms of lines at Cannon was…jarring to be blunt.

If the “smart” move is staying away Saturday lesson learned. Similar to you I decided I couldn’t manage the lines around 1 and called it.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
In my experience, Sundays are MUCH better at Loon if you can swing it, particularly the afternoons when I typically have found walk-on to most lifts except the gondola.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In my experience, Sundays are MUCH better at Loon if you can swing it, particularly the afternoons when I typically have found walk-on to most lifts except the gondola.
This is true all over the Northeast. Families start leaving at one o'clock so that homework can be done, clothes washed, lunches made for Monday morning, etc. The further from the suburbs your area is, the more this pattern holds.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is true all over the Northeast. Families start leaving at one o'clock so that homework can be done, clothes washed, lunches made for Monday morning, etc.

I have found this to be true as well. Sometimes they leave ice behind.

James

Out There
Instructor
Crowds were insane at Okemo today. We arrived at 8:00 and had to park in the red lot. That’s never happened to me before.

Noah and I spent the morning skiing with @James and had a great time. Conditions were surprisingly good. We got a few runs in after lunch but the lines were too much so we stopped at 2:00.
Yes, that was fun! Great to meet Noah.

I spent the afternoon with a young 5 yr old. Doing laps in the snowstar area. Maybe 6 ft of vertical each run. Then had to get her up the chair lift home. That was ok, but mom almost got herself taken out by a chair.

Reactions: JCF

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that was fun! Great to meet Noah.

I spent the afternoon with a young 5 yr old. Doing laps in the snowstar area. Maybe 6 ft of vertical each run. Then had to get her up the chair lift home. That was ok, but mom almost got herself taken out by a chair.

You're a saint!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
This working weekends stuff is great except when it snows on Friday. I'll be all over the refresh (please please happen) on Monday at Wildcat. It looks like most stuff is open now which should spread out a Monday crowd adequately

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday River was fantastic today. Tons of soft snow on the sides of trails and then bumps in other areas. Monday Mourning in the afternoon had soooooo much soft snow on skier’s right. Eureka was all soft piles too. Hero snow.. had a blast!

It was super crowded with long lines though.. but days like this make me really appreciate doing the seasonal adult program and skipping lines on weekends.

95D20F21-D918-47B3-A318-6D6FB5E96F25.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This working weekends stuff is great except when it snows on Friday. I'll be all over the refresh (please please happen) on Monday at Wildcat. It looks like most stuff is open now which should spread out a Monday crowd adequately
The line today on the quad was pretty heinous - ~ 20min. FINALLY at about one o'clock they opened the Tom Cat triple, which kind of saved the day for us. Bobcat was open in the morning but not in the afternoon. :rolleyes: They only have three lifts of any consequence, of which two are old fixed grip triples. You'd think that on a crazy busy Saturday they could open ALL THREE. :eek:

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like most stuff is open

Yeah, there's a lot open. We skied most of it... a few closed trails were being readily poached too (like some of the liftline). I wouldn't recommend Lift Lion because of a really sketch section, though the rest was nice.

Screenshot_20230121_202957_Ski Tracks.jpg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunday River was fantastic today. Tons of soft snow on the sides of trails and then bumps in other areas. Monday Mourning in the afternoon had soooooo much soft snow on skier’s right. Eureka was all soft piles too. Hero snow.. had a blast!

It was super crowded with long lines though.. but days like this make me really appreciate doing the seasonal adult program and skipping lines on weekends.

View attachment 189984

OH MY !
That's what I've been waiting for ! And with more snow Monday and Thursday this is going to be a very fun week there.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You there tmrw?

I was there today and will be there through Tuesday. I'm coaching the PARA Speed Camp on Wardance (tomorrow) and Chief (Monday and Tuesday). Happy to meet up at some point, tho my schedule is packed during ski time.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OH MY !
That's what I've been waiting for ! And with more snow Monday and Thursday this is going to be a very fun week there.
Yes, should be really great this week! Snow was still great today too. Enjoy!!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Sunday. Skied most of the day with @SKI-3PO ,

Conditions are imnproving; some additional terrain opened on natural snow, notably Chin Clip and lower National. Chin Clip was the usual medley of really nice bumps and rocks and grass and ice. Lower National was really nice -- soft snow, baby bumps, etc.

Groomers had some really nice snow or were hockey rinks. Scott wisely stuck behind me for the most part in order to get an early warning of the icy patches. You're welcome.

Main Street on the Spruce side was also really nice

Visiblility was.. tough at times. Really flat light. If you should have seen it, you'll feel it when you hit it.

Had my boot alignment checked yesterday; @Erik Timmerman had commented that it seemed off. Some tweka to my footbeds and canting. One ski straight runs seemed easier and releasing in variable environments (moguls) seemed easier as well, so I think it's overall a big improvement.

Tomorrow is looking like a pretty good day (couple inches forecast for tonight) so we'll see what we get. Maybe some more terrain opening? Looks like the Front Four trails are getting close.

James

Out There
Instructor
8-12 inches forecast for Ludlow
I support day grooming of neglected and closed trails. Pack it down!
They should do a noon opening and just groom everywhere to cover the ice base.

Like any of that will happen, other than groomers dragging dirt out of their lot.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
8-12 inches forecast for Ludlow
I support day grooming of neglected and closed trails. Pack it down!
They should do a noon opening and just groom everywhere to cover the ice base.

Like any of that will happen, other than groomers dragging dirt out of their lot.
Eeyore

Status
Not open for further replies.