• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe all lifts, suspended ones, are required to have a diesel as backup.
Not according to an insider at Stratton. Alterra wanted to purchase the Snow Bowl HSQ without diesel backup due to the cost. They were convinced to spend the money. They are lucky they did as the electric motor recently crapped out after only 3 years and they are running the lift all day on diesel. I think I was told they come with a small electric backup to clear the line.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
6E59EA86-BCAC-4CCB-9915-C897F877507F.jpeg

My poor mother is freaking out (has a generator and my sister so she’ll be ok) - Berkshires getting hit hard.
Might have to run home and do some skiing at my old stomping ground at Catamount - though will
Probably melt before I got there

Last edited by a moderator:

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowing here again !
Should be good tomorrow - unless there are wind holds.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh - and Missy - good call on Downdraft !
That was excellent - except for an occasional surprise powder dump between bumps that was indistinguishable from a more solid surface.
Glad you enjoyed too, it was so much fun yesterday! :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Because it’s been so warm, the dirt roads aren’t frozen. So plowing is problematic. As is snowblowing. Currently at 2 shear bolts/hr.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not according to an insider at Stratton. Alterra wanted to purchase the Snow Bowl HSQ without diesel backup due to the cost. They were convinced to spend the money. They are lucky they did as the electric motor recently crapped out after only 3 years and they are running the lift all day on diesel. I think I was told they come with a small electric backup to clear the line.
All aerial lifts must have a second, independent propulsion source capable of clearing anyone on the line if the primary drive fails (eg power failure). This is most often a diesel backup engine. You are not supposed to load additional passengers while running on this backup, at least as I understand.

In some cases, there is a third propulsion source, most commonly a larger diesel, that can be used when the primary drive is unavailable. This allows the lift to continue loading passengers without the primary drive being available and can become quite helpful as a contingency plan if grid power isn't reliable.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Also, try to turn too much across the fall line and you’ll submarine, spin, tumble. Today was the day for a PNW pow ski. Whatever that is.
My buddy Rich did auger his Zero G's several times today. My 112 underfoot Volkl Katana V-Werks performed perfectly.

Downdraft
IMG_2745.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maine is just getting started with their snow. This is forecasted so who knows, but here is 11PM tonight, and the next one is 7AM on Wednesday. I don't know how much snow SR will get, but it looks good.

1678830473843.png

1678830600508.png

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My buddy Rich did auger his Zero G's several times today. My 112 underfoot Volkl Katana V-Werks performed perfectly.

I have the Zero G 108's and they do submarine at times. Not a lot of rocker in the tips or tails. Low rise rocker. That's how I justify having even wider skis.

Last edited:

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Up to 2 feet at our house and still coming down. Hit Stratton with the kids and they were reporting 25” as of 1 pm. Lots of trees and power lines down on the way over but lifts were running until 3:30. Best day of the season!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 196563

My poor mother is freaking out (has a generator and my sister so she’ll be ok) - Berkshires getting hit hard.
Might have to run home and do some skiing at my old stomping ground at Catamount - though will
Probably melt before I got there

I guess it’s too late to run for the hills. Hope she is ok.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We got over a foot here in NW CT. Might scoot over to Otis or Butternut tomrorow for some work day turns. Magic got 27" and counting. Powder day wednesday for those in the area. We're skiing Pico Friday, Bromley saturday and Magic on Sunday. Will be a fun few days ahead.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess it’s too late to run for the hills. Hope she is ok.
So far so good. I appreciate the concern. She told me trees were down and snow piling up. Generator is keeping the lights on (but no tv !) My sister is with her and is capable of dealing with anything that comes along. Good thing is after it’s over she will enjoy telling us all about it.
She doesn’t like weather anymore - but she’s tough. 53CC27AD-29F6-4B36-867D-04C194D22DF3.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m done with this thing.
What are we, Lake Tahoe??
It’s still snowing, prob near 1inch/hr.

It needs to either stop, or turn to blower.
I mean I could get more behind cheerleading if it wasn’t going to turn to crap in a few days, peeing from the sky.

I’m tired of building Great Walls of snow, and the snowblower went on strike and now needs surgery.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
All aerial lifts must have a second, independent propulsion source capable of clearing anyone on the line if the primary drive fails (eg power failure). This is most often a diesel backup engine. You are not supposed to load additional passengers while running on this backup, at least as I understand.

In some cases, there is a third propulsion source, most commonly a larger diesel, that can be used when the primary drive is unavailable. This allows the lift to continue loading passengers without the primary drive being available and can become quite helpful as a contingency plan if grid power isn't reliable.
Most of the lifts at Stowe have double diesel backups. That means you an operate them on diesel and not just have to clear the line and the n close it. Helpful when snowmaking is consuming major amounts of electricity. Unfortunately, right after the two POMA HSQ lifts at Spruce were installed EPA rules were changed, and the diesels are too dirty to allow them to run as primary propulsion.

Speaking of Stowe, it dumped. Probably 16-18". In fact, I shoveled my walk when I left the house at 7 and when I got home at 12 there was already a foot down. I am now down at Killington. Not sure how much snow is here, but it seems like a lot.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So far so good. I appreciate the concern. She told me trees were down and snow piling up. Generator is keeping the lights on (but no tv !) My sister is with her and is capable of dealing with anything that comes along. Good thing is after it’s over she will enjoy telling us all about it.
She doesn’t like weather anymore - but she’s tough. View attachment 196627
Love it. Awesome pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.