• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don’t you be insulting my jackets. :nono:

Kids’ jackets don’t leave enough room for me to stuff my chest area with unneeded buffs and hats. For bonus “augmentation”. :roflmao:

Am I the only person who does that? I promise it’s just for shits and giggles…
Definitely the only person :hug:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps you need to come to Maine this weekend to prove it. We can find some non-skiing activities for you to do.
Or learn to ski on one foot once and for all? If only. The 30 minute drive to work is uncomfortable enough and boring adulthood tasks await :(

Kids’ jackets don’t leave enough room for me to stuff my chest area with unneeded buffs and hats.
...you're making me realize that my kids' jacket is also too big for me. Because I could totally do that no problem.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Inside the Jordan 8 with my friend Tracy and her friend Sarah.
Img_2023_03_20_18_14_15.jpeg
It's quite strange, actually, how often Tracy's picture makes it into these pages, when she's not even a member. (That I know of.)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Says Mr. Queer Eye himself. I couldn't start to list the number of ski jackets / outfits purchased based on your recommendation (ahem, approval)
I also have apparel he told me to buy.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go and do it. We don't judge. :ogbiggrin:
I’m a big fan of temporary body modifications. No permanent ink, but catch me at the county fair getting a giant temporary leg tattoo anytime.

Back to topic, xc skied at Sleepy Hollow (in Huntington VT) today before the sun set. Was expecting slushier/softer snow than we actually had. DH went to MRG and reported fairly firm snow despite the sunny and warm temps, but fast and nicely carvable.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s like a green chile recipe he can make.

Okemo had spring and winter snow today. Depending on sun exposure and shade.
Wind came up in the afternoon and really cooled the surfaces down. Only the most sunny, and bottom areas, stayed soft.

Morning I had a mom and her teenage son, up for the week from Miami. So were going along on a different trail, it’s packed powder (frozen when packed of course) with small chunks turned up by the groomer.
Son says-
“I don’t like this bumpy stuff!”
-You know how you ski that?
“No, how?”
-Hit the ignore button.

There were a number of bump clinics around. Including an older group. So one of my late runs I went down a pretty steep wide bump run. Sunday it was a refrozen horror show. I was hoping for soft today. Twas not to be. Not too bad, but not soft.

Well there was a veritable mob of older skiers just starting to go down. Aha! The mogul group. So I asked. They were a CS2 group! Really?? Children’s specia
Completely shamed the mogul groups-nowhere to be seen at 3:30.

Last edited:

crazytoaster

Booting up
Skier
Looks like I will be able to get one day of skiing in this weekend while visiting family in Portland, Maine. Any suggestions for an intermediate and an advanced skier for a quick day trip on Sunday? It looks like there might be new snow coming in the night before.

I have been looking at Pleasant Mountain, Mt. Abrams, and Sunday River (trying to keep one-way drive time under 1.5 hours). My only pass is Ski Cooper which does give me free days at Black Mountain, NH (too far) and Lost Valley (does not seem worth it) so I am open to suggestions. No need for amenities, just want some nice uncrowded skiing.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like I will be able to get one day of skiing in this weekend while visiting family in Portland, Maine. Any suggestions for an intermediate and an advanced skier for a quick day trip on Sunday? It looks like there might be new snow coming in the night before.

I have been looking at Pleasant Mountain, Mt. Abrams, and Sunday River (trying to keep one-way drive time under 1.5 hours). My only pass is Ski Cooper which does give me free days at Black Mountain, NH (too far) and Lost Valley (does not seem worth it) so I am open to suggestions. No need for amenities, just want some nice uncrowded skiing.
Mt. Abram is your best bet of those three for minimal crowding, but it is closing weekend for them, so I don't know what that will look like. If people do show up, you may experience lift lines, but the slopes are likely to remain uncrowded.

Pleasant, in my experience, tends to be very weather-dependent—nice spring days tend to draw a crowd, but if it's cold and blustery, there may not be anyone there. I've never been there with new snow to have any idea in that regard.

Sunday River will have lots of people, but they will get spread out far more effectively than either of the other two options given the amount of terrain and quality of the lift system. If I were choosing between Mt. A and Sunday River for freeskiing, I'd go with the latter and just do my best to dodge the crowds; you can get more actual skiing in even with crowds on (mostly) modern lifts. Mt. A gives you a much better chance of parking close to the lifts, though, and vastly lower skier density on the hill.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Abram is your best bet of those three for minimal crowding, but it is closing weekend for them, so I don't know what that will look like. If people do show up, you may experience lift lines, but the slopes are likely to remain uncrowded.

Pleasant, in my experience, tends to be very weather-dependent—nice spring days tend to draw a crowd, but if it's cold and blustery, there may not be anyone there. I've never been there with new snow to have any idea in that regard.

Sunday River will have lots of people, but they will get spread out far more effectively than either of the other two options given the amount of terrain and quality of the lift system. If I were choosing between Mt. A and Sunday River for freeskiing, I'd go with the latter and just do my best to dodge the crowds; you can get more actual skiing in even with crowds on (mostly) modern lifts. Mt. A gives you a much better chance of parking close to the lifts, though, and vastly lower skier density on the hill.

There is snow in the forecast from Saturday to Sunday.. currently saying 5-8 inches for Newry overnight and a small amount on Sunday. We'll see what happens.. but likely everywhere will be crowded if that holds.

Last Sunday it was pretty dead at Sunday River, no real lines anywhere. So if it weren't for the snow I'd feel better about that possibility repeating itself. Are we to the time of year where people start moving on to other things and make the mountains less crowded for the rest of us yet?? :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With great conditions and wonderful weather, the traffic at Killington yesterday and today was very light. I assume we will see the same this weekend at the NEG.
Hmmm. I hope so. Don't bank on it though. Draws from a different audience. We are a long way from NY/NJ/CT. Mainers are very aligned with late springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online