• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do Mainers ski??
Mayne @dbostedo will get us some stats.
The National Resource Council of Maine claims that there are 1.3M ski days in Maine. Since, as we all know, Maine is almost impossible to actually get to, I have to assume that most of those come from Mainers. And since the population of Maine is also about 1.3M, I'm going to guess that everyone in Maine each gets one ski day.

:D

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do Mainers ski??
Mayne @dbostedo will get us some stats.
Yes, at Sugarloaf, Saddleback, or Black Mountain (of Maine). Everything further south is pretty much overrrun with transplants and tourists.

Transplants: anyone that someone living in town can recall when your family moved there, even if they can't recall (or weren't alive) for the event itself.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maine is almost impossible to actually get to
If you cross the northern or eastern border of the state, you find, surprisingly, that you do not fall off the edge. Instead you find a bunch more skiers called "Canadians," many of whom live only a short drive away.

James

Out There
Instructor
So Steve Miller was from Maine.

“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle of you.”

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So Steve Miller was from Maine.

“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle of you.”
Um, no. Gerry Rafferty and Stealers Wheel.

Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle with you

crazytoaster

Booting up
Skier
Mt. Abram is your best bet of those three for minimal crowding, but it is closing weekend for them, so I don't know what that will look like. If people do show up, you may experience lift lines, but the slopes are likely to remain uncrowded.

Pleasant, in my experience, tends to be very weather-dependent—nice spring days tend to draw a crowd, but if it's cold and blustery, there may not be anyone there. I've never been there with new snow to have any idea in that regard.

Sunday River will have lots of people, but they will get spread out far more effectively than either of the other two options given the amount of terrain and quality of the lift system. If I were choosing between Mt. A and Sunday River for freeskiing, I'd go with the latter and just do my best to dodge the crowds; you can get more actual skiing in even with crowds on (mostly) modern lifts. Mt. A gives you a much better chance of parking close to the lifts, though, and vastly lower skier density on the hill.

Thanks for the insight! With the possible snow coming could any of the drives be slowed down? I have PTSD from all the slowdowns in Colorado on I-70. I can't imagine traffic or the roads to be as much of issue in Maine...

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wha? It’s not like Vermonters are filling places. Only 660k live there.
Vermont skiers are distributed among way way way more parking lots, lodges, and lifts than Mainers. We only have three, maybe four areas that are beyond the mom and pop level. (Apologies, Camden Snow Bowl, Big Rock, Lost Valley, and Quoggy Jo!)

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the insight! With the possible snow coming could any of the drives be slowed down? I have PTSD from all the slowdowns in Colorado on I-70. I can't imagine traffic or the roads to be as much of issue in Maine...
When plows/salters are on the turnpike they do lower the speed limit to 45 mph. But you are not in bumper to bumper traffic. I have driven up from MA in snowstorms where it took me almost 6 hours instead of the usual 4 to get to sunday River, just due to the slower speed and road conditions all the way up. I don't think it's going to be that kind of storm though, and you aren't on the turnpike for a ton of time being in Portland already.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The National Resource Council of Maine claims that there are 1.3M ski days in Maine. Since, as we all know, Maine is almost impossible to actually get to, I have to assume that most of those come from Mainers. And since the population of Maine is also about 1.3M, I'm going to guess that everyone in Maine each gets one ski day.

:D
Don’t forget that maybe 1/3 of the Massachusetts population lives less than an hour from Maine.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday River was great this weekend. Yesterday was fast and firm, but super fun on the groomers. Today we had around 4 inches of fresh snow in the morning and then got another inch or so throughout the morning. Very fun day with bumps and trees back in play.

D956A01A-DF09-4940-A6C0-B7D5E39F36E1.jpeg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Celestial ?

I’ll be there tomorrow and Thursday !!!
Keep it coming !!!

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at the River tomorrow. I look like the guy in my profile picture. I'll probably be skiing out of Barker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online