• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've timed it in the past. When they run it at full speed, which they usually do, it takes next to no time to get up the 6,610 feet of incline, 2,000 feet vertical rise, from base to summit. I can't remember the number of minutes. Could it be 4 minutes?? or 7 ??
I think its claimed at 6.5. It runs fast and a direct line. My non skiing girl like it when i go to Wildcat because she knows I'll be home in time to prep and cook dinner lol

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyway, talk of a Greenland block in mid-December, which could make things interesting in the east

I’ve never heard of a Greenland block. Is that usually a good or bad thing?

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is ur condo listed on VRBO? I’d be interested in checking it out…sick of staying at Summit Inn.
I am listed with The Killington Group. They also post their listings on VRBO, AirBnB, etc. Our condo association requires all owners to use the same agency for STRs, so there are about 50 Pinnacle units listed there. Here's the listing for my unit.

Reactions: BC.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First I've heard you mention it but that's a pretty good perspective. I wish I could find a way to get my cost per western trip down so I could swing an early season trip along with the Feb trip. Sitting here seeing the posts from people who are skiing right now sucks.
And for me it's not just the envy; it's the impact on my skills maintenance/development. It's really hard to keep up with the program if everyone is starting six weeks before me, and getting actual off piste skiing TEN weeks before me.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
And for me it's not just the envy; it's the impact on my skills maintenance/development. It's really hard to keep up with the program if everyone is starting six weeks before me, and getting actual off piste skiing TEN weeks before me.
Is it a competition?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I hear you. For me I want to get started on my private lessons again as early as possible so I have more on-snow time to work on them during the season. I was hoping to get a couple of warm-up days in early December before scheduling the first lesson but this weather is killing that plan.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It sucks not to be a the top if it's a competition.
I am intimately acquainted with this feeling.

If there are unavoidable obstacles that make
getting to the top impossible, the situation will suck.
sucks = stress

Skiing should not be stressful.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It sucks not to be a the top if it's a competition.
I am intimately acquainted with this feeling.

If there are unavoidable obstacles that make
getting to the top impossible, the situation will suck.
sucks = stress

Skiing should not be stressful.
To be serious for a moment. It's a weird competition. The goal is to be a competent and respected member of the pack who doesn't (usually) hold it back.

I do have some internal self-competition, too, but that is a separate thing. I like skiing to be challenging. Given your focus on technique, I think you are competing with yourself too.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
To be serious for a moment. It's a weird competition. The goal is to be a competent and respected member of the pack who doesn't (usually) hold it back.

I do have some internal self-competition, too, but that is a separate thing. I like skiing to be challenging. Given your focus on technique, I think you are competing with yourself too.
Yes. And I don't have a pack. A result of instructing for 13 years and not going on ski trips with others.

So I'm not stressed by the late start. Much. Well, a little.
When I go to ProJam in a week and ski in a group with other instructors,
my rustiness will show. I will notice. Others probably won't. Oh well.
Embrace unavoidable discomfort.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes. And I don't have a pack. A result of instructing for 13 years and not going on ski trips with others.

So I'm not stressed by the late start. Much. Well, a little.
When I go to ProJam in a week and ski in a group with other instructors,
my rustiness will show. I will notice. Others probably won't. Oh well.
Embrace unavoidable discomfort.
Male perspective.
Female perspective.

Yet more evidence that women are smarter than men. ogsmile

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Couldn't have said it better myself. Since I started skiing with this group I've been challenging myself to correct my technique so I can fit it better and keep up with you guys on the more difficult terrain. I'd sooner ski by myself than feel guilty while holding the group back...but don't tell @Tony S or he'll accuse me of being anti-social ;)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd sooner ski by myself than feel guilty while holding the group back...but don't tell @Tony S or he'll accuse me of being anti-social ;)
Sometimes I ski by myself because I'm anti-social... but I blame it on not wanting to hold others back. ogwink

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Couldn't have said it better myself. Since I started skiing with this group I've been challenging myself to correct my technique so I can fit it better and keep up with you guys on the more difficult terrain. I'd sooner ski by myself than feel guilty while holding the group back...but don't tell @Tony S or he'll accuse me of being anti-social ;)
I don't accuse you of being anti social, exactly. I accuse you of assuming without grounds that we care more about your safety and our progress down the hill than we do about having you along.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier

Love this shot of you breaking up the wind loaded powder at Killington. @TheArchitect finds his line in the background.
IMG_1708 (3).jpg

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes I ski by myself because I'm anti-social... but I blame it on not wanting to hold others back. ogwink

I do find it funny that we've ended up skiing together more often than not at the last couple of gatherings, even if our reasons are different. However, I do remind people that at Killington we were told to meet at the bubble and everyone else went somewhere else after we skied off!

I don't accuse you of being anti social, exactly. I accuse you of assuming without grounds that we care more about your safety and our progress down the hill than we do about having you along.

I had to read that twice before I got it. A confusion to make, indeed. I promise to stay with the group more this year or I'll never hear the end of it! ogsmile

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.