• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have wanted to ski Smuglers but haven’t yet.
So who here has skies it more than 5 times a year? What makes the slowness (including the wait) and charm of mrg or Castlerock so much more appealing?
I haven't skied there in a long time, since I lived nearby, but I will take a crack at answering.

Mad River has with good humor played along forever with the whole "Ski It If You Can" schtick. It aligns well with the reality that a majority of their terrain and snow conditions are too much for the casual skier of modest talent and ambition. Not to mention the low throughput of the single chair. Yes, they have a pod where the grooming and terrain are great for beginners, but its capacity and snow reliability are limited, and it's already well populated by local devotees. Basically the skier population is highly filtered. Joe Skier goes somewhere else.

Castlerock is its own little version of MRG embedded within Sugarbush, with skier population filtered by some of the same factors such as lift capacity and terrain difficulty. Joe Skier goes elsewhere on the mountain.

Smuggler's is not really all that different from Mad River in terms of its lift capacity and terrain. Meanwhile it makes a point of trying to attract vacationing families and the local general skiing populace. Unlike Sugarbush, it doesn't really have anywhere for that crowd to go, with the exception of Morse Mountain, which gets old pretty fast if you're there for a week. So they do the best they can to groom the whole mountain in a way that makes the terrain as accessible as possible, with only modest concessions to the hard core. They need to do that to spread the crowds over what limited lift capacity they have. The result is that there really isn't all that much terrain that has the natural and secluded feel you get at MRG or Castlerock.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d bet ya human recreation in that area has much more of a negative impact on critter activity than a gondola will.
That’s true. In one of the articles someone said the same about the of the pond being very popular. We hiked up Mt Mansfield and took the existing gondola down for the fun of it. It’s pretty hilarious up there with people all dressed up in spring dresses and polo shirts taking selfies and such. But that’s the point. There’s already a dang road to the top of the mountain and then the path to the summit has ropes to keep people from trampling the sensitive plants. So maybe just leave the notch alone.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mad River has with good humor played along forever with the whole "Ski It If You Can" schtick. It aligns well with the reality that a majority of their terrain and snow conditions are too much for the casual skier of modest talent and ambition.

I know we chatted about this before but it’s intended as an invitation and not a challenge! It is true, I don’t think the progression-encouraging terrain is obvious to the once-in-a-blue moon MRG skier. But people who go there regularly notice and understand. My husband has definitely changed from being a lifelong groomer zoomer to a more well-rounded skier. I consider myself in the bottom quartile of MRG skiers but I got noticeably more skilled at navigating 3D terrain this season.

On that note, another part of the charm is the average skill level of the skiers. It’s a pleasure to watch people yakking it up on the slopes because most people are so dang good. Sitting in the lodge watching the people ski down to the single chair is quite entertaining because you usually see people throwing all kinds of jumps on the way. Whenever I go to another ski area (Jay Peak, Lake Louise) I notice that the average skier skill is a lot lower. Didn’t notice that at Revelstoke though, lol.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know we chatted about this before but it’s intended as an invitation and not a challenge!
Sure, but it's an invitation to a party that many people who ski are not interested in attending.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Regarding the challenge presented by the various trails at any of the northern Vermont areas -- Sugarbush, Mad River, Stowe, Smugglers, etc. I've never skied Smugglers, but I've skied the others, with a lot of days at Stowe over the years. Yes, the trails ski differently, but the idea that any of the areas has a "lock" on the "most difficult terrain" doesn't seem to jive with the reality I've experienced. Stowe's Goat, Mad River's Chute, Sugarbush's Castlerock -- they're all comparable.

Has the Front Four at Stowe changed drastically since the '60s? Sure, but they still provide plenty of challenge for the vast majority of skiers. And the vast majority of us have no recollection of how those trails "used" to be anyway.

The stuff that's not on the trail map -- the countless trails in the notch, off the summit, the Church area at Sugarbush, etc. -- makes anything on the trail map look positively easy. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is possibly (probably?) part of the reason why they elected for a connecting gondola vs a surface lift -- to keep people out of places they shouldn't be in.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Regarding the challenge presented by the various trails at any of the northern Vermont areas -- Sugarbush, Mad River, Stowe, Smugglers, etc. I've never skied Smugglers, but I've skied the others, with a lot of days at Stowe over the years. Yes, the trails ski differently, but the idea that any of the areas has a "lock" on the "most difficult terrain" doesn't seem to jive with the reality I've experienced. Stowe's Goat, Mad River's Chute, Sugarbush's Castlerock -- they're all comparable.

Has the Front Four at Stowe changed drastically since the '60s? Sure, but they still provide plenty of challenge for the vast majority of skiers. And the vast majority of us have no recollection of how those trails "used" to be anyway.

The stuff that's not on the trail map -- the countless trails in the notch, off the summit, the Church area at Sugarbush, etc. -- makes anything on the trail map look positively easy. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is possibly (probably?) part of the reason why they elected for a connecting gondola vs a surface lift -- to keep people out of places they shouldn't be in.
How did the front four change?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Can't speak to all of them, but the top of Goat is wider.

The story I heard from Timmerman is that they've simply been worn down like beach stones from Kevin skiing them over and over during his multi decade tenure at Stowe.

James

Out There
Instructor
part of the reason why they elected for a connecting gondola vs a surface lift -- to keep people out of places they shouldn't be in.
Didn’t two people get cliffed out from up there several years ago and the National Guard had to rescue them? They are no small cliffs either as I remember.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn’t two people get cliffed out from up there several years ago and the National Guard had to rescue them? They are no small cliffs either as I remember.
I don’t know about that specific case but I’ve heard there’s some very dangerous pitches over there. Like, pick the wrong line, fall off a cliff and die pitches. I’m pretty sure no one wants to own that liability if people can easily get there via a surface lift.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it happens about every other year. Some guys that rented our place had previously been rescued from cliffs snowboarding in back of Cannon. I told my wife we should let them rent. They broke the bunk bed railing.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister

There is an old trail map that shows that Goat has been completely relocated. It used to start where the Octagon is now and go down to Nosedive. Apparently that line is still skiable if you're the first one there on a powder day.

Starr is apparently twice as wide as it used to be.

National starts as a short glade; I think it's officially "National Drop In" or some such now? Apparently that glade continued for much longer and there was no Haychute entrance.

You're probably thinking about this incident: https://snowbrains.com/skier-dies-stowe-backcountry-vermont/

But I'm sure there have been other occurrences of getting cliffed out over the years in the various notch woods.

I don’t know about that specific case but I’ve heard there’s some very dangerous pitches over there. Like, pick the wrong line, fall off a cliff and die pitches. I’m pretty sure no one wants to own that liability if people can easily get there via a surface lift.

Precisely, although part of the appeal is how easily accessible the notch woods are anyway.

The only times I've skied the Birthday Bowls have been with Josh. I'd never try to find my way through there solo as the consequences for making a mistake are potentially rather dire.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is an old trail map that shows that Goat has been completely relocated.
I knew about that, but in my own ancient-but-not-that-ancient experience, Goat was in its current alignment but narrower.

At least its still off-camber in places.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wasn’t there or isn’t there an upper upper part of goat? Maybe like 20 years ago I was on the lift with and old dude who I had seen skiing it. Maybe that’s the as mentioned still skiable line

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The story I heard from Timmerman is that they've simply been worn down like beach stones from Kevin skiing them over and over during his multi decade tenure at Stowe.

As someone who lives across the street from a pebbly beach with lots of rounded stones and knowing how good, passionate, and dedicated a skier Kevin is, I have to give Kudo's to Tony S for that reply. Very Grump worthy

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We had a very cool event at Magic this past weekend.

They preserved some snow and then covered it for a couple weeks. We had a event on Saturday. It was for a great cause. Plus saints and liars played and the tbar (beverage shack) was open. Plus there was a food truck. We had Nordic skiers slalom racing at the bottom of show off. We even had a couple of Olympians

From Magic Facebook page"
"Thanks to all our neighbors and friends who showed up to support the West River Sports fundraiser yesterday with some great Nordic athletes racing and WRS kids skiing, plus live music with Saints & Liars and Bow Thayer band. Skiing on lower Show Off and drinks at the TBAR is a fun reminder of the good times from the 22-23 season and that 23-24 ski season at Magic is around the corner. Special thanks to our operations staff for creating the snow pile and grooming it out to perfection as usual with the hard work of WRS volunteers in helping to preserve the snow and set up Saturday’s event! Lower Show Off is open to uphillers to ski.

These are a combination of pictures/video from me and magics page.

FB_IMG_1686011224150.jpg FB_IMG_1686011228173.jpg
View attachment VID_30550902_013051_824.mp4
View attachment VID_30550902_201336_251.mp4
View attachment VID_30550903_081455_574.mp4 FB_IMG_1686011234761.jpg FB_IMG_1686011237054.jpg

We watched the event, watched the bands and drank with our friends. Then we walked back to our condo to BBQ. The temp was a fabulous 54 degrees.

Perfect afternoon/evening

Love our magic community.

Last edited:

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Wasn’t there or isn’t there an upper upper part of goat? Maybe like 20 years ago I was on the lift with and old dude who I had seen skiing it. Maybe that’s the as mentioned still skiable line

Goat, from the current signed top, is generally a bad idea. Goat is usually skied from the Haychute.

The original location of Goat (ie, heading towards Nosedive) is usually referred to as Pipeline or Old Goat.

Liftline has an “upper upper” section that’s open a fair amount and worth skiing on rare occasion. But it gets skied a fair amount.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a very cool event at Magic this past weekend.

They preserved some snow and then covered it for a couple weeks. We had a event on Saturday. It was for a great cause. Plus saints and liars played and the tbar (beverage shack) was open. Plus there was a food truck. We had Nordic skiers slalom racing at the bottom of show off. We even had a couple of Olympians

From Magic Facebook page"
"Thanks to all our neighbors and friends who showed up to support the West River Sports fundraiser yesterday with some great Nordic athletes racing and WRS kids skiing, plus live music with Saints & Liars and Bow Thayer band. Skiing on lower Show Off and drinks at the TBAR is a fun reminder of the good times from the 22-23 season and that 23-24 ski season at Magic is around the corner. Special thanks to our operations staff for creating the snow pile and grooming it out to perfection as usual with the hard work of WRS volunteers in helping to preserve the snow and set up Saturday’s event! Lower Show Off is open to uphillers to ski.

These are a combination of pictures/video from me and magics page.

View attachment 205095 View attachment 205096
View attachment 205097
View attachment 205098
View attachment 205099 View attachment 205100 View attachment 205101

We watched the event, watched the bands and drank with our friends. Then we walked back to our condo to BBQ. The temp was a fabulous 54 degrees.

Perfect afternoon/evening

Love our magic community.
Did you meet Jessie Diggins?

Status
Not open for further replies.