• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, Saddleback is known for powder?
That’s news.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, Saddleback is known for powder?
That’s news.
Compared with?
Alta? No.
Okemo? Yes.

Mostly it's about snow preservation, which tends to be excellent by NE standards.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Compared with?
Alta? No.
Okemo? Yes.

Mostly it's about snow preservation, which tends to be excellent by NE standards.
Many northern New England ski areas get enough snow that they could have significantly more powder days, if it wasn't falling on rock-hard refrozen stuff (or just rocks). Saddleback being a bit farther north and having decent elevation means that they'll have to deal with fewer total resets, and if you want to ski natural snow in the East, that's a rather important consideration.

Of course, if you don't mind skiing 6" of fluff over granite, that does open things up a bit.

James

Out There
Instructor
Compared with?
Alta? No.
Okemo? Yes.

So all those complaints were just a smoke screen! I see. Don’t want everyone to rush up there.
Next up- Land of Oz at Sunday River is actually a soft snow pow fest.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So….whereabouts is everyone skiing in New England this year? Did you ditch Epic for Ikon - or maybe Indy? Are you sticking with your local hill and not bothering with multi resort passes?

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
So….whereabouts is everyone skiing in New England this year? Did you ditch Epic for Ikon - or maybe Indy? Are you sticking with your local hill and not bothering with multi resort passes?
Ikon and Magic Mountain for our crew. Fingers crossed for an average or better winter as don’t want another season where I ski Stratton more than Magic. But my teenagers have seen the light with Sugarbush and definitely headed there more frequently mid-winter and later.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarbush
Stratton
Killington
Pico
Windham
Outside chance of Mt. Tremblant

All Ikon all the time. Doubt we'll get to Maine or to Loon in NH.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Ikon pass showed up in the mail yesterday.

Not terribly interesting this year. Going to be Sugarbush over Christmas and presidents week. Killington bump camp. NEG. Banff in April. Assorted day trips to Stratton/Loon/whatever.

If I can convince my workplace to revive ski club and let me chaperone then maybe I’ll hit my local hill a few times after all.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not terribly interesting this year. Going to be Sugarbush over Christmas and presidents week. Killington bump camp.
hmmm.. when is the bump camp?

We already talked about catching some turns together during Presidents Week… If you’re skiing on Christmas Day/eve and want company, let me know and we can meet up. Same with skiing early in the day on New Years. I always ski on Christmas - no kids for me and no crowds on the mountain. Looks like the only IKON Base blackout days are December 26-31.

For me, in the northeast, I’m hoping to catch early/late days at Killington, snowboard at Sugarbush when I feel like it, ski at Mad River Glen and maybe score some tickets to Jay Peak and Burke through a BIPOC affinity group I’m in. Plus the usual skinning at Cochran’s and more xc skiing this year for morning exercise.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had Indy and Ikon base last year. I went with just Ikon base this year. There are a few non Ikon mtn's that I just like, so I buy a 3-4 pack or just do a day trip. Those would be: Cannon, Saddleback, Black Mtn, and Mt Abrams. Did a 3 pack at Saddleback this year for the NEG. Planning on Taos and maybe one other trip out west

Ikon base still has the Pres. and MLK weekends blacked out, 2 of 3 days, though.

Land of Oz is very natural snow dependent. Although they are blowing snow on one trail now. Its usually one of the last to see manmade snow, so not ski-able early without mother natures help. With enough natural snow, its a lot of fun. Good amount of steeps and a whole lot of trees which hold the snow once it comes. Skier traffic is low compared to most of their trails, so it can last for a few days. You have to be there when its good cause SR does not groom in that area. Once the weather changes, it ices up just like everywhere else. Early spring can be good time to ski it before it melts out, but needs to be soft too. I would not call it a soft snow pow fest. Its old school NE double blacks with glades. Reminds me a little of Jay, but gets less snow and wetter snow.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Land of Oz is very natural snow dependent. Although they are blowing snow on one trail now. Its usually one of the last to see manmade snow, so not ski-able early without mother natures help. With enough natural snow, its a lot of fun. Good amount of steeps and a whole lot of trees which hold the snow once it comes. Skier traffic is low compared to most of their trails, so it can last for a few days. You have to be there when its good cause SR does not groom in that area. Once the weather changes, it ices up just like everywhere else. Early spring can be good time to ski it before it melts out, but needs to be soft too. I would not call it a soft snow pow fest. Its old school NE double blacks with glades. Reminds me a little of Jay, but gets less snow and wetter snow.
In 2014-15, there was a lengthy stretch where Oz was skiing very, very well (as was most of the natural-snow terrain at Sunday River). Looking back, I should have skipped out on more work and skied more, because that doesn't usually happen.

With that said, when Sunday River actually has good base and soft snow on top (whether super-fresh or not), there is a metric s***ton of tree skiing to be had. It just doesn't usually stay good for all that long due to the damn thaw-freeze cycles.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I would not call it a soft snow pow fest.

@ScottB I think you fail to remember that James's tongue tends to be lodged more or less permanently in his cheek. I've learned that if I open my mouth in his vicinity I pretty much always find out that I just played the straight man in his standup routine.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
hmmm.. when is the bump camp?

We already talked about catching some turns together during Presidents Week… If you’re skiing on Christmas Day/eve and want company, let me know and we can meet up. Same with skiing early in the day on New Years. I always ski on Christmas - no kids for me and no crowds on the mountain. Looks like the only IKON Base blackout days are December 26-31.

For me, in the northeast, I’m hoping to catch early/late days at Killington, snowboard at Sugarbush when I feel like it, ski at Mad River Glen and maybe score some tickets to Jay Peak and Burke through a BIPOC affinity group I’m in. Plus the usual skinning at Cochran’s and more xc skiing this year for morning exercise.
Absolutely! I don’t celebrate Christmas so will definitely be skiing those days. Quietest peak days on the mountain. Will also be skiing the 1st if you (or anyone else) are up for it.

The Killington bump clinic is this: https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/lessons-rentals/lessons/mogul-weekends
Historically it’s been two weekends but I guess this season it’s just the weekend before the NEG. Two full days of small group instruction with video analysis. It’s not ski week cheap but it’s certainly one of the better value lesson products in the East. Taught by good people who know what they’re doing.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely! I don’t celebrate Christmas so will definitely be skiing those days. Quietest peak days on the mountain. Will also be skiing the 1st if you (or anyone else) are up for it.

The Killington bump clinic is this: https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/lessons-rentals/lessons/mogul-weekends
Historically it’s been two weekends but I guess this season it’s just the weekend before the NEG. Two full days of small group instruction with video analysis. It’s not ski week cheap but it’s certainly one of the better value lesson products in the East. Taught by good people who know what they’re doing.
That’s a great price for a lot of instruction. Gonna keep it in mind! I’m hoping to see if I can make good progress in the women’s seasonal clinic at MRG. 8 weeks for $225… although I’ll be missing the last two weeks due to travel.

Traditionally we’ve skied Sugarbush for Christmas and then gotten mediocre Chinese buffet. It really hit the spot. Not sure how we feel about Chinese buffet in our [post] COVID world.

I’ll definitely be on the mountain 1/1 and 1/2 too!

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t celebrate Christmas so will definitely be skiing those days. Quietest peak days on the mountain.
Not so sure anymore. We used to get 2 comp tickets if we worked Christmas, so I worked it a lot. Usually a fun, quiet day. Then Vail came and ended that reward, so I skied somewhere else with family on Christmas. Covid and the epic pass might have changed the Christmas lull.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ragged on weekends, which gets me Jay if I feel adventurous. Whaleback after work under the lights, which gets me a few days at all sorts of fun little hills if I want and a steep discount at Killington if the kid is around. He likes Killington. I do too, but I’m cheap.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not so sure anymore. We used to get 2 comp tickets if we worked Christmas, so I worked it a lot. Usually a fun, quiet day. Then Vail came and ended that reward, so I skied somewhere else with family on Christmas. Covid and the epic pass might have changed the Christmas lull.

Dec 24 is usually very quiet also. Haven't skied the Christmas / New Year holiday week for years. Don't think I missed anything.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Going way, way back the last Saturday before Christmas was quiet. I figured that was when all the responsible Dads did their shopping for presents (as opposed to the normal ones that did it on Christmas Eve.) I haven't been on that weekend since I became one of those Dads, so my info is a few decades stale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online