• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Similar flat light issues at Killington today, but coverage and snow conditions were both pretty good. Day one for me, so I I took it easy and spent my time revisiting some of the greatest hits from the New England Gathering. Unimpressed by the new K-1 lodge - very plain and uninspiring, in my view. Perhaps the big windows will work better on a sunny day.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
8-12 inches forecast for Ludlow
I support day grooming of neglected and closed trails. Pack it down!
They should do a noon opening and just groom everywhere to cover the ice base.

Like any of that will happen, other than groomers dragging dirt out of their lot.

The folks in the speed camp are not looking forward to slipping all the new snow off of Chief so we can run SG sections and full courses. Likely a lot of snow moving in the morning and a few runs of SG in the afternoon.

At least it'll be precipitation-free for the races on Tuesday...

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unimpressed by the new K-1 lodge - very plain and uninspiring, in my view. Perhaps the big windows will work better on a sunny day.
The views on a clear sunny day are impressive. That said, the bathrooms and bag storage areas are too small to come close to handling a weekend or holiday crowd. Decent increase in seating areas, but not close to what could have been done. Biggest fail is not fixing the flat schlep required to get from Superstar to the K1 gondola. A huge missed opportunity that will exist for another 50 years.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is that bare concrete wall still facing the circle or did they mount some sort of screen to it? Just mystified how that’s supposed to be nice coming in. Maybe they spent too much time in Stratton’s concrete parking garage.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The folks in the speed camp are not looking forward to slipping all the new snow off of Chief so we can run SG sections and full courses. Likely a lot of snow moving in the morning and a few runs of SG in the afternoon.

At least it'll be precipitation-free for the races on Tuesday...
I hope Stowe has some SG's scheduled soon. We sure could use the snow.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is that bare concrete wall still facing the circle or did they mount some sort of screen to it? Just mystified how that’s supposed to be nice coming in. Maybe they spent too much time in Stratton’s concrete parking garage.
The parking lot side of the lodge has been dressed up, but is very imposing with essentially 3 stories of wall with no windows. Large set of stairs up to the first floor entrance and ticket windows is the main feature you see when being dropped off. They were restricted by code in what percentage of the wall areas could be windows and decided to maximize them on the sides with views of slopes. I think that was the right decision. Lodge looks much better when approaching it from the slopes with all the glass and large heated textured concrete patio.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's a pic taken in December from the upper bar area of the new K1 lodge. Was still a bit of a construction zone but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_101738011_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221212_101738011_HDR.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 16

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, the bathrooms and bag storage areas are too small to come close to handling a weekend or holiday crowd. Decent increase in seating areas, but not close to what could have been done.
Reminds me of the "Big Dig" in Boston. Let's take a two-lane tunnel that really needs to be an eight-lane tunnel, and spend ten years and God knows how many billions of dollars in up-front costs, delays, and lost productivity time on the part of commuters to convert it to a three-lane tunnel that wouldn't have been wide enough on the day it was conceived, let alone the day it was built.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I was just at Wildcat, I've had them in my OpenSnow list... and it looks like they were the winner overnight. They're reporting 10" overnight!! It was already in pretty nice shape from the last storm. Might be stellar today on a Monday powder day. And I'm back in Virginia at work. *sigh*

EDIT: Interesting list of today's "Global Deepest Reports" on OpenSnow:

1674482009108.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reminds me of the "Big Dig" in Boston. Let's take a two-lane tunnel that really needs to be an eight-lane tunnel, and spend ten years and God knows how many billions of dollars in up-front costs, delays, and lost productivity time on the part of commuters to convert it to a three-lane tunnel that wouldn't have been wide enough on the day it was conceived, let alone the day it was built.
There was one tunnel to the airport, but the route 93 “expressway” aka central artery was an elevated deck.
0F248DE6-3C12-4A5E-84BC-1E63CAD59103.jpeg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always hated driving through Boston, or in Boston. Glad I haven't had to do so in years.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There was one tunnel to the airport, but the route 93 “expressway” aka central artery was an elevated deck.
View attachment 190111
Right. I glossed over a lot of fine points there. But I stand by the gist of what I said, which was that they didn't think big enough to accommodate the actual need.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
The views on a clear sunny day are impressive. That said, the bathrooms and bag storage areas are too small to come close to handling a weekend or holiday crowd. Decent increase in seating areas, but not close to what could have been done. Biggest fail is not fixing the flat schlep required to get from Superstar to the K1 gondola. A huge missed opportunity that will exist for another 50 years.
Agree on all counts. The restrooms on the main level (when you come in from skiing) are ludicrously small. And I guess the plan to remake the grade to the gondola seems to have been scrapped somewhere along the way. But your photo of the view on a sunny day does show that the big windows are a win, so that is one redeeming feature.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last minute— anyone up for a chill skin up Easy Mile (Stowe) around 2:45? Getting some boot work done at Mountain Ops then testing out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, I’d scheduled my snow tires for this morning. Had to snowblow the driveway to get out.
Same thing last year, had snows put on, and had to use them, after brushing off the car, to get home.
Setting up a patreon acct now, taking requests. Northeast only.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I’d scheduled my snow tires for this morning. Had to snowblow the driveway to get out.
Same thing last year, had snows put on, and had to use them, after brushing off the car, to get home.
Setting up a patreon acct now, taking requests. Northeast only.
So what you're saying is that if you'd gotten off your butt and scheduled the appointment for some day back in November, we would have had an extra two months of quality skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
So what you're saying is that if you'd gotten off your butt and scheduled the appointment for some day back in November, we would have had an extra two months of quality skiing.
Grasshopper-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online