• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
'saul goodman. Josh Fox (Single Chair Weather Blog) says this storm that the tonight and tomorrow storm will have a light and fluffy finish. He's actually been pretty accurate this season.

We are sticking with our plan and driving up to Sugarbush Thursday evening. Will be there Friday and Saturday and hit Killington in the way home Sunday.

Everyone or anyone skiing Sugarbush let's meet up at bottom of Castlerock at 11:00AM ( Friday and Saturday I will be there) and ski some bumpy and probably still a little thinly covered runs. It's been a long time since I have skied Rumble and I'm not getting any younger. Like to hit it this weekend. Love to have some company.

@Ogg , @Phelmut , @mikes781

My son is just starting to learn bumps and that's on intermediate trails. We could try Castlerock but we'd definitely slow everyone way down. Any thoughts on where you'd be skiing before or after Castlerock?

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
'saul goodman. Josh Fox (Single Chair Weather Blog) says this storm that the tonight and tomorrow storm will have a light and fluffy finish. He's actually been pretty accurate this season.

We are sticking with our plan and driving up to Sugarbush Thursday evening. Will be there Friday and Saturday and hit Killington in the way home Sunday.

Everyone or anyone skiing Sugarbush let's meet up at bottom of Castlerock at 11:00AM ( Friday and Saturday I will be there) and ski some bumpy and probably still a little thinly covered runs. It's been a long time since I have skied Rumble and I'm not getting any younger. Like to hit it this weekend. Love to have some company.

@Ogg , @Phelmut , @mikes781
@Phelmut and I will be at Sugarbush on Friday.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We could try Castlerock
The thing about Castlerock is that it's a commitment. You get off the lift at the top and you've pretty much got a mandatory long bump run ahead of you before there is an opportunity to bail, should you so desire. Obviously, conditions and your mileage may vary.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The thing about Castlerock is that it's a commitment. You get off the lift at the top and you've pretty much got a mandatory long bump run ahead of you before there is an opportunity to bail, should you so desire. Obviously, conditions and your mileage may vary.
Even better make a little excursion out of it and traverse the long trail from heavens gate then ski Rumble (my all time favorite ever).

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah. I've skied it numerous times and you're right. That said, he wants to push himself to ski more challenging terrain when we're out at Alta-Bird in Feb so maybe a run or two at Castlerock is a good way to prepare for that.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even better make a little excursion out of it and traverse the long trail from heavens gate then ski Rumble (my all time favorite ever).
I don't see long trail on the map so I assume it's side country?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't see long trail on the map so I assume it's side country?

You hike the ridgeline. The entrance is at top of Paradise on Lincoln Peak off Heaven's Gate chair. I've never done it but was planning to this weekend. Locals and young, fit folk do is in 15 minutes. Guessing I'd need about twice that. Castlerock chair is open though and I think I will take the ride. They have been opening the trails but not the chair lately to limit the traffic because at sugarbush they tend to open trails if there is some way you could possibly make it down without hitting too many rocks. Tony is right though, getting down from Castlerock, even the easiest way, Middle Earth, you are committing to a mile of moguls with no way out.

We usually start the day out by heading up Super Bravo and then right up Heaven's gate for a lap or so on Jester and Ripcord. Both are almost always groomed. Last time we were there there were some great intermediate bump runs off the Valley House chair. Murphy's Glades, which really only has a few trees here and there and is just a nice blue on the steepish side of blue and then then next left off the main Snowball groomer trail is a little less steep... I forget the name. If they are not groomed they are great blue bumps. Good chance they will be bumped with all this new white stuff on the ground.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You hike the ridgeline. The entrance is at top of Paradise on Lincoln Peak off Heaven's Gate chair. I've never done it but was planning to this weekend. Locals and young, fit folk do is in 15 minutes. Guessing I'd need about twice that. Castlerock chair is open though and I think I will take the ride. They have been opening the trails but not the chair lately to limit the traffic because at sugarbush they tend to open trails if there is some way you could possibly make it down without hitting too many rocks. Tony is right though, getting down from Castlerock, even the easiest way, Middle Earth, you are committing to a mile of moguls with no way out.

We usually start the day out by heading up Super Bravo and then right up Heaven's gate for a lap or so on Jester and Ripcord. Both are almost always groomed. Last time we were there there were some great intermediate bump runs off the Valley House chair. Murphy's Glades, which really only has a few trees here and there and is just a nice blue on the steepish side of blue and then then next left off the main Snowball groomer trail is a little less steep... I forget the name. If they are not groomed they are great blue bumps. Good chance they will be bumped with all this new white stuff on the ground.

I'll talk with him and see if he's up for the mile. I skied Chin Clip at Stowe when I was about at his level of mogul skiing and it was a miserable experience. I'll post up on Friday if we plan to meet you guys at 11:00. Like I said, I want to push him to get ready for Utah but he may not be up to it.

Long Trail sounds like fun but I'll be taking the lift if we ski CR.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
A few years back I was skiing with my friend who has a condo at SB. It was a pretty firm day but late in the season so Castlerock was definitely in.

I had my almost brand new Stockli Laser AX on my feet and I follow my friend down to the Castlerock lift. We ski over to the entrance to Rumble and I look down the trail with half-hearted commitment. My friend, who’s not a gear head looks at me and says, “what”?

I look at him sheepishly and say, “my brand new Stocklis…”

My friend, challenging me to let my spiritual attachment to the sport win out over materialism replies, “Are you a skier?”

And so I made my first turn down the root-infested, grassy-knolled trail with pristine bases.

Life has not allowed me to get back to Castlerock or SB since but I fondly remember that day.

Note: the author may have consumed a Treehouse during the composition of this post.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I posted a quick photo trip report from my NE days this past weekend...

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years back I was skiing with my friend who has a condo at SB. It was a pretty firm day but late in the season so Castlerock was definitely in.

I had my almost brand new Stockli Laser AX on my feet and I follow my friend down to the Castlerock lift. We ski over to the entrance to Rumble and I look down the trail with half-hearted commitment. My friend, who’s not a gear head looks at me and says, “what”?

I look at him sheepishly and say, “my brand new Stocklis…”

My friend, challenging me to let my spiritual attachment to the sport win out over materialism replies, “Are you a skier?”

And so I made my first turn down the root-infested, grassy-knolled trail with pristine bases.

Life has not allowed me to get back to Castlerock or SB since but I fondly remember that day.

Note: the author may have consumed a Treehouse during the composition of this post.
Sugarbush generally leaves trails open that would never be open at other mountains and I know how bad castlerock can be late in the season. Pretty gnarly terrain when there is good coverage, all the more fun when you have to dodge roots and rocks.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be aware that some trails on Castlerock have no exit till the end.
I made the mistake once of taking a friend down Middle Earth. I got “intel” from a 19yr old on the lift that the snow was really good.

Sometime earlier, my friend told me “no bumps”. With the great snow info, i forgot about the bumps part. Well turns out ME is nothing but bumps, and rocks. No escape! That was a very long run, like 45 minutes.

TSQURD

Booting up
Skier
FWIW, the heavy snow really covered most of the rocks on Castlerock and Paradise today. I'd guess 6ish inches of dryer snow on top of the heavy stuff since mid afternoon. I wouldn't throw someone starting out on bumps on CR, start on Moonshine, if that goes well try Twist or Domino before jumping to CR.

I'll be in a red jacket skiing with this kiddo tomorrow - if you see us and want suggestions on where to go feel free to ask!

Attachments

• D0DCD088-15B0-476C-A4AB-703668D905C9_1_101_o.jpeg
    D0DCD088-15B0-476C-A4AB-703668D905C9_1_101_o.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 14

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah Moonshine was the blue bumper I was thinking of off left side off Snowball below Murphy's. Couldn't remember the name.

We just got settled in at condo. I'm thinking upper mountain will be skiing best.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Be aware that some trails on Castlerock have no exit till the end.
I made the mistake once of taking a friend down Middle Earth. I got “intel” from a 19yr old on the lift that the snow was really good.

Sometime earlier, my friend told me “no bumps”. With the great snow info, i forgot about the bumps part. Well turns out ME is nothing but bumps, and rocks. No escape! That was a very long run, like 45 minutes.

FWIW, the heavy snow really covered most of the rocks on Castlerock and Paradise today. I'd guess 6ish inches of dryer snow on top of the heavy stuff since mid afternoon. I wouldn't throw someone starting out on bumps on CR, start on Moonshine, if that goes well try Twist or Domino before jumping to CR.

I think the general vibe from the posts is to keep the fledgling, timid mogul skier off of Castlerock for now. I think I'll push him this weekend but not on CR and with a crowd. Have fun guys!

James

Out There
Instructor
Today was packed for a Friday. But not so much on the trails. I think people expected packed powder, or even loose powder. Not.
White gravel was back. Some decent spots. Last weekend was far better despite another 15 inches of snow. It’s the rain.

Pay no attention to trail numbers today, new ones opened that shouldn’t have. I’m surprised they opened trails with death crust on it. Some of the worst openings I’ve seen. Just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online