• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those trails were not cut well
There are more trails in Oz that were not cut well than were. It was a poorly executed experiment. It looks so much better than it skis, 90% of the time.

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, looks like there’s options. No rush… too many skis, too little time.

I was going to drop skis off at Sport Thoma in Lincoln today for pickup next weekend, but then decided to hit Sunday River instead. :doh: Sugarbush presidents week

Don’t have much point of comparison but Sunday River is skiing quite well. Groomers are in great shape. Real packed powder not the New England kind. Light was super flat over at Aurora and Jordan this morning and I fell off the side of a groomer. Whoops. Sunny everywhere else. Only disappointment was in Oz which looked good from the lift despite a sketchy rock garden entrance but the snow was weird and styrofoam-y. Unexpected highlight: Risky Business
Make sure you check with sport thoma to make sure the tuning machine has been fixed. I know last week it wasn't producing the best tunes and needed to be repaired.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where is the best snow for the weekend, Tremblant? Saddlebacks trail count is off the charts. Killington, Sugarloaf and Sugarbush look good on paper. Stowe is disqualified due to the front trails; maybe the woods are great. Loaf was good a few weeks ago and sounds better now. No complaints here over Sunday Rivers coverage.
After a couple good weeks the natural steep trails are getting skied off everywhere it seems.
Maybe some pictures of actual conditions would help.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
What's up with the Gondola a Loon? Looks like it has been out commission for a few days now with word on when it it will be back up.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What's up with the Gondola a Loon? Looks like it has been out commission for a few days now with word on when it it will be back up.

...and the new six-pack at Waterville Valley had a loooong shutdown today around lunchtime. It was offline for 50 minutes and then did the s-l-o-w offload under diesel power. After a couple hours of servicing it reopened toward the end of the day.

Given WV is the only U.S. operator of a lift by MND there are a lot of potential pitfalls: institutional knowledge, spare parts, etc. There were lift techs figuring out the storage shed for the chairs today and also a couple folks with tablets running diagnostics all day long. There were multiple start/stop moments and even a short period of reverse running in my experience there today.

Makes me wonder why they didn't go with Doppelmayr or Leitner-Poma for this key lift on Tecumseh.

Let's just say it's very good that WV has the Sunnyside fixed-grip triple installed and ready to operate during moments like these. They spun it up and it provided access to the upper mountain with nary a fuss.

FWIW: the skiing at WV is really great right now.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second, and last day of my mini-break at Sunday River. I'd forgotten how nice it is to ski non-holiday weekdays. Took my first lesson of the season in the morning. Forgot how reasonable their adult group rates are. I need to figure out how to more accurately represent myself to the guy making group assignments. Somehow my waffling about how well I do or don't carve came across as not being sure if I ski parallel and I was initially sent to the green group. :eek: With respect, I'd seen some of the green group skiers around on the mountain and know these are not my people. Did some self-advocating, got upgraded, and had a great time with tips to focus on for the future.

Skied mostly Barker and White Cap. Right Stuff was lovely, as was Obsession. My controversial opinion is that White Heat is vastly overrated. Hit it in the late afternoon and freaked myself out not being able to see the snow condition or pitch with the light dipping behind the mountain. But once I got out of my head and decided to channel @KingGrump and ski just by feeling what's under my feet, it was smooth and drama free. Scraped off sections included. Zoom zoom groomer kind of day. Only "natural" snow I hit were Sluice and Absolutely on the way back to the base.

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
The one in Bethel? It’s not fixed and they’re not taking any tuning jobs right now. Part is ordered but no ETA.

the one in lincoln. I dropped off my new unleashed and he explained that the machine isn't putting out the best tunes. This was a week ago so hopefully they fixed it

James

Out There
Instructor
...and the new six-pack at Waterville Valley had a loooong shutdown today around lunchtime. It was offline for 50 minutes and then did the s-l-o-w offload under diesel power. After a couple hours of servicing it reopened toward the end of the day.

Given WV is the only U.S. operator of a lift by MND there are a lot of potential pitfalls: institutional knowledge, spare parts, etc. There were lift techs figuring out the storage shed for the chairs today and also a couple folks with tablets running diagnostics all day long. There were multiple start/stop moments and even a short period of reverse running in my experience there today.

Makes me wonder why they didn't go with Doppelmayr or Leitner-Poma for this key lift on Tecumseh.

Let's just say it's very good that WV has the Sunnyside fixed-grip triple installed and ready to operate during moments like these. They spun it up and it provided access to the upper mountain with nary a fuss.

FWIW: the skiing at WV is really great right now.
That’s exactly why I’d prefer to see our two 30yr old detachables refurbished instead of replaced with some computer controlled garbage.
I suspect they’re better built than the new stuff. Back when engineers had to solve problems mechanically rather than with electronics.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Erik Timmerman Any status on the broken snowmaking pipe at the top of FourRunner mentioned upthread by @KevinF According to Stowe trail status/ all the upper sections of those trails in that vicinity are all currently closed?.....and can assume skier traffic will all be diverted to either Nosedive, Ridgeview, Sunrise, etc. Do you see this pipe being fixed soon/by this weekend?....or is this something that will effect operations for a few weeks.

*Coming up this weekend....so I'm more curious than usual. :cool:

Last edited:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So had to cancel/postpone our trip to Stowe this coming weekend. I'm thinking about maybe rescheduling it for skiing Mar 5-7 now and then maybe hitting Jay Peak from Mar 8-10. My thought is that these resorts are going to be in great shape during this timeframe. Is that accurate? How bad do these resorts get hit from college spring breakers?

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So had to cancel/postpone our trip to Stowe this coming weekend. I'm thinking about maybe rescheduling it for skiing Mar 5-7 now and then maybe hitting Jay Peak from Mar 8-10. My thought is that these resorts are going to be in great shape during this timeframe. Is that accurate? How bad do these resorts get hit from college spring breakers?
We were at Stowe in early march one year and it was -10 degree fog clouds with high winds. All the smart people at the lodge drinking and watching the dead cover band made space for me on front of the fire because I looked so cold.
It should be pretty good but it’s a ways off.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

March 5th to 7th is a Sunday to Tuesday. I've usually been skiing Sunday / Monday's. Sunday's clear out by lunch and Monday's have been "ski on". I don't think you'll have any concerns.

Regarding conditions... it's New England. You can have epic or you can have hockey rink. Planning in advance is always dicey. Historically, early March should be the deepest the snowpack will get throughout the course of the season.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
@Erik Timmerman Any status on the broken snowmaking pipe at the top of FourRunner mentioned upthread by @KevinF According to Stowe trail status/ all the upper sections of those trails in that vicinity are all currently closed?.....and can assume skier traffic will all be diverted to either Nosedive, Ridgeview, Sunrise, etc. Do you see this pipe being fixed soon/by this weekend?....or is this something that will effect operations for a few weeks.

The broken pipe was on the Haychute (the traverse entrance that cuts across National and Liftline). That they have Goat listed on the snow report as "open" makes me think that the issue is resolved. i.e., when I saw it on Monday, you would have had to jump a four foot wide gap in the Haychute to make it into Middle Goat.

The top entrances -- Upper Goat, Upper Starr -- weren't affected by the breakage; neither one is remotely close to having the necessary snowpack to make it skiable.

I think you're good. Maybe they built a kicker to help you clear the gap? :eek: ;) :thumb:

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The broken pipe was on the Haychute (the traverse entrance that cuts across National and Liftline). That they have Goat listed on the snow report as "open" makes me think that the issue is resolved. i.e., when I saw it on Monday, you would have had to jump a four foot wide gap in the Haychute to make it into Middle Goat.

The top entrances -- Upper Goat, Upper Starr -- weren't affected by the breakage; neither one is remotely close to having the necessary snowpack to make it skiable.

I think you're good. Maybe they built a kicker to help you clear the gap? :eek: ;) :thumb:
Thanks for heads up.….figured Upper FrontFour area would be closed because of conditions/no snow, but was kinda wondering whereabouts of the break…cuz trail report today had all of Lord closed/ Upper Hayride, Centerline, etc. basically all the trails coming down off FourRunner….Kind of a pain, cuz it funnels everyone down onto Ridgeview, etc…or over to Nosedive.

Thanks..have a great weekend!

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Thanks for heads up.….figured Upper FrontFour area would be closed because of conditions/no snow, but was kinda wondering whereabouts of the break…cuz trail report today had all of Lord closed/ Upper Hayride, Centerline, etc. basically all the trails coming down off FourRunner….Kind of a pain, cuz it funnels everyone down onto Ridgeview, etc…or over to Nosedive.

Hmmm, not sure why they’d have Centerline/Hayride closed. Maybe snowmaking? Conditions in that area were fine on Monday.

Reactions: BC.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@KevinF , not much option for us other than to plan in the future. Living in NC isn’t like we just hop in the car and drive an hour or two.
Is spring break an issue there as it can be at some resorts out west? Not that it will change anything, just curious really.
But thanks for the response.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

I think they had it fixed yesterday. Not sure but I think a snowcat caught it.

That was all for snowmaking purposes. They were nuking those trails the last couple of days.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
WTF is up with our weather?!?! Have you guys looked at the ten-day? I'm a patient man, but we are going to run out of season. I know what's going to happen, everyone is going to move on, the lifts close mid-April and then it dumps for two weeks. Picked the wrong year to not have moved to Earthquake prone, flooded out, wildfire-plagued, but blizzard heavy California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online