• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: JCF

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Butternut is hardly flat. Vertical drop at butternut and catamount are the same.

Butternut and catamount aren't all that different. Catamount has more trails but butternut has better snowmaking plus has more chairlifts including 4 soon to be 5 quads. Butternut also has 2 lodges.

The nut is a fabulously fun mountain. Catamount might have overall steeper terrain but butternut has much better snowmaking and grooming and is just a rock solid mountain. Catamount has weaker snowmaking and from that I've heard, crappy operations so there is really no motivation to go there.

The Nut is fantastic for what it is. Would i want to ski there all the time no because i have Magic, Bromley and Killington and Pico. The Nut during the week and occasional Sunday with Magic/Broms the rest of the time is my perfect combo.

Mount snow and stratton are called flat too.

All subjective.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Not at all at 1,000 vertical. 4 quads, 2 lodges, a few black diamond runs, well maintained trails and quite a lot of fun for what it is. Ski rundown is closer to me but butternut s way better.
yes, but Butternut is still flatter. There's only a couple places that are steep enough to ski with significant fresh snow ...

I have well over 1,000 ski days at Sundown and over 200 days at Butternut. I'm well aware.

vertical != pitch.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
yes, but Butternut is still flatter. There's only a couple places that are steep enough to ski with significant fresh snow ...

I have well over 1,000 ski days at Sundown and over 200 days at Butternut. I'm well aware.

vertical != pitch.

The 'Nut isn't flat, it's just not as steep as catamount. People call mount snow and stratton flat too, all relative. Catamount is a little taller but everything else has butternut at 1,000 vert with so many more favorable points. All their trails are steep enough to ski. Love all 4 black trails and both their terrain parks. Had a blast there with my PSIA update clinic last season. Been skiing Butternut for 10 years.

Sundown is a whole other animal at 625 vertical drop. I'm 15 minutes away from Rundown and drive the extra 20 minutes to Butternut for a million reasons.

That aside the subject of this thread is NE meet-ups. Butternut alleged flatness is irrelevant.

To each their own

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yesterday was about the limit for skiing fresh snow at Okemo. Some places, because of density, you just had to go straight, and even then you might stop.

It was strange stuff, on steeper parts, porpoising wasn’t possible really. That would lead to augering. You kind of needed to keep the deviation from fall line smallish (10 to 2) or very gradual. Maybe skis with a very tapered tip and long curve up could’ve handled it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well this is unusual to see on OpenSnow... the NE isn't often in this daily list:

View attachment 196705
That 20 in for Okemo is probably low actually. This is a crazy storm.
696E7E17-23DE-4C56-AB5A-E0136DFC51CA.jpeg
There’s a limit to how much will pile up on a 3 1/2 inch flat board. That’s 17 1/2 - 18 inches.
Deck was that too. That’s after a full day/night of settling. Cleared that off around 9 pm, then this morning-

0E73DD5E-760C-4D5C-AA60-7254B7D737E3.jpeg
5 1/2 - 6 inches.

34 inches at Magic! Nuts. Magic has the pitch in some spots.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That 20 in for Okemo is probably low actually. This is a crazy storm.

Well OpenSnow is just reporting the 24 hour totals that the website lists... and it looks like Okemo just updated to 23" at 6:57 AM. OpenSnow says they updated their numbers at 7:02 AM... I'm guessing OpenSnow missed the Okemo update to 23".

Plus, per their website, Okemo's 48 hour total is 35"! :geek:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Catamount, Mohawk, Sundown...all have more pitch than Butternut unless the mountains have changed in the last 30 something years since the last time I skied at Butternut. Stratton and Okemo are downright steepish in comparison.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bolton Valley today.

Urgent Message From Patrol:
Avalanche hazard present at this time. If travelling on terrain (especially uphill routes and backcountry) follow appropriate avalanche precautions and gear up accordingly.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
a friend at Stratton says he got a legit 50”
The resort is reporting a storm total (duration not specified) of 40"! I could see 50 in places based on that for sure.

They also say that brings their season total snowfall to 147", so almost 30% of their season snow in just the one storm.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not sure sundown has more pitch than the bunny hill at Magic let alone butternut. Mohawk and Sundown have a vertical drop of 650 ft, Catamount and Butternut are at 1,000.

Mohawk and Butternut are the same distance from me so the nut is the clear winner there. Catamount is almost an hour away and with their known operational issues, sub par snowmaking and grooming I don't bother. Sundown can be fun but it's called Rundown for a reason so many people choose Butternut. The nut has decent vertical and great snowmaking and grooming. Plus so much more. We prefer the vertical snobs go elsewhere as Butternuts awesomeness is not appreciated by them.

Butternut is my during the week place. I plan to buy a season pass there for next winter so I can stay home a weekend a month and make some local turns.

I primarily ski southern VT on the weekends. Magic, Bromley and Pico are on tap this weekend but these are smaller places so I'm sure the fair weather vert snobs hate these places too :D

All good.

Ski on.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Mt Snow claimed 46" - with a long and growing nose
It’s possible. This is a strange storm. Numbers aren’t real accurate or meaningful. Shovel it and you see.
Woods at Okemo in some spots indicate snow in the 3 ft range. Postholing is a big problem if you lose a ski

Some areas were real nice powder. Some areas that were real dense powder yesterday got baked and were refrozen mess. Hobacks horror.

5716E0E5-E4DA-410E-8D13-F266CCD6391D.jpeg

09BBD4EF-B57B-4B3D-B329-A6D9EB46621B.jpeg

0CFE4A08-BC89-4031-86C2-E63B916E696D.jpeg

5ACAA10C-42FE-462B-B7CE-83AD07E257DC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online