• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Uh oh. I have a bump clinic at MRG tomorrow. Hope we get a slight refresher… it flurried a bit around here an hour ago but not really measurable accumulation.
You will definitely be in the "touch" corner of Weem's sports diamond.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday Sunday River started out firm, but then most everything softened up after a couple of hours. Bumps and trees were skiing awesome. Lost Princess and iCarumba were my favorites of the day for super soft bumps. Some steep groomers got really skied off and stayed uber firm, but the naturals were awesome. Today I’m expecting firm and fast with low temps not breaking freezing. :(

eta: Just went out for morning walk with the pup and there is a nice inch or two that fell overnight.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Sunday March 19th

As @TheArchitect posted above, yesterday was pretty dismal. This morning there was an inch or so of new snow on the car. Well, maybe there will be something worth skiing.

Met up with @TheArchitect this morning. First lap was an easy green cruiser off the six pack. Felt like my teeth were going to be rattled loose but there was enough fresh to be skiable.

Took a run down Nosedive. Bumps on the side were… entertaining, but overall, not bad. Centerline bumps were decent; really heavy snow on top of icy bumps is “good for you”.

And then some crazy squall hit. Basically whiteout conditions but things went from “decent” to “unreal”. Woods, check. Bumps, check. We skied National which forced you to focus as the bumps were icy but there was enough fresh that it was definitely fun.

Goat was crazy good. A ski school group entered just after me. One of the students looked at Goat, looked at me and said “pray for me”. I assured her the entrance bumps were the worst and it got easier.

We made it to Midway trail where their instructor said they could get out to National or continue on Goat to the bottom. I informed them that they couldn’t take credit for skiing Goat if they bailed halfway down. Which immediately produced a WE’RE SKIING GOAT! reaction. Excellent.

I waited at the bottom to ensure the girls got high fives. And Ms “Pray for me” asked if they could ski it again. It’s always awesome to see smiles at the end of someone’s first run down Goat. They rocked it for sure.

Yeah. A day that started with low expectations ended awesomely.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
DJs and Kinsman are open at Cannon.I should have done a day trip today.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What a difference a day makes....

@KevinF hit the highlights and below are some photos. Saturday was rough and I briefly thought about skipping today but thought it couldn't be worse that Saturday. I woke up to a few inches on the car, which was the first good sign. The first photo was from the first or second run. A HELL of a lot better than Saturday, even though you could still feel the rough surface underneath. Then it started coming down pretty hard and it started getting fun. Yeah, this is why I like skiing! At roughly the same point Kevin and I both turned to each other and said "maybe the woods are good now". Off we went, and yes they were. Except for Gulch woods, which was untouched dense snow and turning was....hard. After that it was off to find bumps. Centerline earlier in the day was not the best but Hayride and National (and others) made up for it. My last run of the day was National as I had to head home early. I've been working hard on my bump skiing this last year and I was very happy that I was able to link together quite a few turns on National. It might end up being my last day this year so it was good to end on a high note. Thanks @KevinF for yet another great day of skiing and guiding.

Early morning run

IMG_1075.jpeg

Mid-morning

IMG_1084.jpeg

Kevin in his happy place

IMG_1077.jpeg

Glades were greatly improved

IMG_1080.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Stowe report for Sunday March 19th

As @TheArchitect posted above, yesterday was pretty dismal. This morning there was an inch or so of new snow on the car. Well, maybe there will be something worth skiing.

Met up with @TheArchitect this morning. First lap was an easy green cruiser off the six pack. Felt like my teeth were going to be rattled loose but there was enough fresh to be skiable.

Took a run down Nosedive. Bumps on the side were… entertaining, but overall, not bad. Centerline bumps were decent; really heavy snow on top of icy bumps is “good for you”.

And then some crazy squall hit. Basically whiteout conditions but things went from “decent” to “unreal”. Woods, check. Bumps, check. We skied National which forced you to focus as the bumps were icy but there was enough fresh that it was definitely fun.

Goat was crazy good. A ski school group entered just after me. One of the students looked at Goat, looked at me and said “pray for me”. I assured her the entrance bumps were the worst and it got easier.

We made it to Midway trail where their instructor said they could get out to National or continue on Goat to the bottom. I informed them that they couldn’t take credit for skiing Goat if they bailed halfway down. Which immediately produced a WE’RE SKIING GOAT! reaction. Excellent.

I waited at the bottom to ensure the girls got high fives. And Ms “Pray for me” asked if they could ski it again. It’s always awesome to see smiles at the end of someone’s first run down Goat. They rocked it for sure.

Yeah. A day that started with low expectations ended awesomely.
What??
We had good for you (not really) bumps.
Pretty firm all over.

And…you’re in red now??

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
What??
We had good for you (not really) bumps.
Pretty firm all over.

And…you’re in red now??

No. I'm in orange now. @Erik Timmerman says it's "rust" colored. Regardless, it's not red. :cool:

I skied Chin Clip at the end of the day; it was pretty scratchy / "good for you''. I felt like I didn't ski it particularly well, so I went back to ski it again. Second time was better.

James

Out There
Instructor
@KevinF , burnt orange sounds much sexier.
It’s rust.
Very discombobulated.
First he’s in black, then blue, then we finally get him in bright yellow. Now it’s another color.
“Has the whole world gone crazy??” - Walter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in orange now

burnt orange sounds much sexier

It’s rust.

Okay. But it's not yellow.

Last year I lucked into a deal on a shell I liked. As a bonus, it was yellow. Finally I could be like the cool kids.

So now the goalpost has moved again. Of course it has. It probably moved the moment people saw me wearing yellow!

(I was with Kevin when he got that yellow jacket, at Big Sky, ten years ago. Funny that I've always thought of it as Kevin's New Jacket. Now it's Kevin's Old Jacket.)

Anyway Kevin's new kit looks good. It will probably look clean longer, too.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, James, I don't want to rock your world more than it already is, but be prepared. I have a new ski outfit as well. I went with red jacket and smoke grey pants. Its sexier and a lot cleaner looking. I will be modeling it at the gathering. Maybe its time for you to update? :roflmao:

But don't tell us, let it be a surprise.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, James, I don't want to rock your world more than it already is, but be prepared. I have a new ski outfit as well. I went with red jacket and smoke grey pants. Its sexier and a lot cleaner looking. I will be modeling it at the gathering. Maybe its time for you to update? :roflmao:

But don't tell us, let it be a surprise.
I have a red shell and light grey pants that I haven’t debuted yet. Next year.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year I lucked into a deal on a shell I liked. As a bonus, it was yellow. Finally I could be like the cool kids.

So now the goalpost has moved again. Of course it has. It probably moved the moment people saw me wearing yellow!
I have a yellow (goldenrod?) jacket. You can still be cool, if being cool means wearing a coat in the same color family as an early-middle aged Asian woman instead of a crusty middle-aged white dude. Only bought it last summer so we’ll get at least another year out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January