• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's that time of year when......when......when......when we don't know what to do with ourselves until it starts snowing.

So, take the opportunity to post news about ski resorts in the PNW, plans for the upcoming season, and begin to discuss meetups large and small.

And maybe let's clarify what is included in "PNW." WA, OR, any part of ID that wants to be included, BC and AK. AB is supposedly covered in Northern Rockies, but we'll allow it here as well. We're pretty inclusive.

Let the games begin.

tempImageQxm8Fc.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Thanks, David, for opening up the new season.

Mt. Baker starts selling season passes Wednesday, Sept. 7. Only pass holders from last season and Canadian pass holders from the '19-20 season can purchase a pass until Sept. 28. Beginning Oct. 1 they will sell to the general public until they have reached their limit for full season passes. Then they will sell a limited amount of weekday only passes (with blackout dates for holidays and school vacations) if their pass limit has not been reached, but at pretty much the same price as the full season pass. Day tickets will be $87.04 for adults.

Baker is a real outlier from other areas in the region. It's nice that it's still owned and operated by a local family corporation. They actually show that they care about their customers and try to control crowds. Over the last two seasons I've noticed an increase in skiers, seemingly in reaction to the sh#t show at Stevens Pass. If Stevens can get it together this season crowds may return to more normal levels.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mt Hood Fusion passes (Timberline, Skibowl, Powder Alliance) should go on sale around the 1st of September. No official price list or announced dates. That's just what they usually do.

Mt Hood Meadows this year joined the Indie Pass.

I can't think of a single other thing that I've heard about the Mt Hood ski areas in regards to improvements, changes of operations, or otherwise.

Oh, and Timberline Lodge will have to do without me as a ski instructor. I'm glad I did it last season, but it's not something I want to continue.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The second six place chairlift in Oregon will debut for the 2023-24 ski season, Mt. Bachelor and parent company Powdr announced today. The larger detachable will increase capacity by 50 percent from the current Skyliner Express, which debuted in 1989 and has remained out of service this season due to technical issues. Mt. Bachelor and Doppelmayr will repair the aging high speed quad for the coming 2022-23 season before replacement begins a year from now.

“Since Skyliner went out of service the team and I, together with Powdr have been working parallel paths, first to try to get the lift repaired for the current season and second to either replace or repair the Skyliner lift in time for next winter,” noted President and General Manager John McCleod in a blog post. “As it turns out, we are going to do both,” he continued. “If there had been any way that we could have replaced Skyliner with a six-pack over the coming summer we would have done it, however by the time we began talking to lift manufacturers in January their production and installation schedules were fully committed for 2022.”

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The new chair and terrain at Lookout Pass is moving along.

Few people know a lot about this place. If you are traveling I-90 headed for Big Sky it is well worth taking a day here. Arguably the best snow in the region and the most. About the only time you see lines here is early season.
49 has really stepped up brush cutting and should ski much better in early season. Lots of work around the base and parking lots.
Just add snow.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler will have a new 10 passenger gondola up from Creekside, replaces the 6 seater
once at at mid, Red increases from 4 to a 6 seats. If staying at Creekside should be an improvement with weekend traffic.
a few other upgrades with increases in food/services. Food services were pretty poor in the last couple of years.
reservations for lunch are over, too bad, will have to start looking for group seating while carrying a tray again.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The second six place chairlift in Oregon will debut for the 2023-24 ski season,
The second 6 pack in Oregon? Where is the first 6 pack in Oregon? I don't recall one at Timberline or Meadows.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new chair and terrain at Lookout Pass is moving along.

Few people know a lot about this place. If you are traveling I-90 headed for Big Sky it is well worth taking a day here. Arguably the best snow in the region and the most. About the only time you see lines here is early season.
49 has really stepped up brush cutting and should ski much better in early season. Lots of work around the base and parking lots.
Just add snow.
I'm excited to try the new terrain at Lookout. Do you know whether 49N has done anything about egress from the old midway unload zone or reconfiguring terrain parks over the summer? The carnage on the steep section of Claim Jumper was pretty bad, and cutting across the top of the mountain to ride both parks wasn't ideal for anyone.

The second 6 pack in Oregon? Where is the first 6 pack in Oregon? I don't recall one at Timberline or Meadows.
Meadows is replacing Mt. Hood Express with a 6-pack next summer. I guess it'll be a race to see which one is 1st, which is 2nd.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
It is a somewhat personal thing, best shared with a pint in hand. Somewhat trivial now goes back to early 90s..happy to share in person at PNW meetup!!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A mini-Gathering? Sure, pick a spot. There's the usual suspects: Bachelor, Crystal, Mt Hood areas. Personally I wouldn't mind a day or two at Meadows.

Maybe we torment @Bad Bob and go to 49, add on a day at Lookout to check out the new chair and expansion, and Silver Mt as well since it's between the two. Probably stay in Coeur d' Alene to hit all three. I would suggest Schweitzer as well but going to the lesser-frequented places kind of appeals to me.

Also BC. I'm planning to do a Red Mt trip sometime in mid-Feb, before the SLC Gathering. Maybe that'd work as a mini-Gathering.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 87 US Baker's day ticket is now more than sking with even an edge card at Whistler.

I'll need to be highly motivated to ski south of the border but I'm easily corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.