• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens Today
IMG_1013.JPG

Finally, sunshine. What a fine day. Everything skied well, there were no lines except for a couple times when the chairs stopped. There were untracked lines to be had and it was sunny sunny sunny all day. We skied everywhere, except for the sun cooked backside areas. Everything from 7th to Chief [wall to wall] was fun fun fun. It wasn't a legitimate power today but the snow off piste was mighty fine. We were all waiting for this one.

Birds on the roof
IMG_1015.JPG

The original Seventh Heaven
IMG_1019.JPG

peepo

Booting up
Skier
Snoqualmie vs Crystal

since it's the end of the season, it should be warm enough that we don't need winter tires to go up to the mountain right? I was checking the highway webcams and the roads look pretty clear, should I expect the same level of road condition in the parking lot? is either of these easier to get to? or should be fine either way?

late to the season but trying to get some more time on the mountains before the season completely ends!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ski day 47 of the season at Timberline Lodge. It was warm and snowing on Monday then it froze overnight with a hair more snow. So today's skiing was dust on crust. A cold windy day up top but spring-like conditions down in Government Camp.

FB_IMG_1678863227932.jpg

FB_IMG_1678863554710.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Snoqualmie vs Crystal

since it's the end of the season, it should be warm enough that we don't need winter tires to go up to the mountain right? I was checking the highway webcams and the roads look pretty clear, should I expect the same level of road condition in the parking lot? is either of these easier to get to? or should be fine either way?

late to the season but trying to get some more time on the mountains before the season completely ends!
I don't know the regs in WA, but in B.C. most areas in the interior and especially ski area access, require snow tires until April 30. Most of the ski areas close April 10 or so for lack of skiers and boarders, not lack of snow.

@peepo, in your case I would contact a local to the ski resort police department as to the snow tire regs because it seems likely that someone making a snow tire decision based on highway web cams is not legit.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Right now, you should still expect packed snow and ice in the parking lots. A few weeks from now, well it depends on what the temps do. Both snoqualmie and crystal are pretty easy drives. For both of them you do the bulk of your climbing towards the very end. However if it happens to snow heavily, snoqualmie pass is much more likely to close. I've only ever seen the road to Crystal close because of trees down that needed to be cleared.

Snow tires are never required in WA. Even when the signs say, "traction tires required", you still don't need them because WSDOT counts regular, all-season M+S tires as traction tires: https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountainpasses/tiresandchains.

Unless you have AWD, you could need chains if we get a big storm (which isn't currently in the 10 day forecast). I think in the 15 years I've lived in WA, I've only seen them require chains on all vehicles (including AWD) twice. They usually just close the road instead. And both times I've seen it, they closed the road shortly after.

Spring weather here is pretty unpredictable. Those roads could definitely stay clear for the rest of the season, but it only takes one big storm to change that obviously.

peepo

Booting up
Skier
@DanoT @John O Thanks! i also checked the national weather service and looks like the conditions are good the next couple days! will continue to keep track of that and WSDOT site. is there any weather apps that you would recommend for checking the conditions?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The WSDOT site is the best site for road conditions.

NWAC is the best site for current/past conditions on the hill, their telemetry data will tell you a lot about what’s going on.

This one is upper mountain on crystal: https://nwac.us/weatherdata/crystalgrnvalley/now/

And this one shows multiple elevation points at snoqualmie (specifically at alpental): https://nwac.us/weatherdata/alpental/now/

All NWAC telemetry sites can show you 7 days of data too.

And since you mentioned the next couple of days, if you’re coming down soon I wouldn’t worry about road conditions at all, things should be pretty clear.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Here's another weather forecast site, this one for Crystal, but you can just type in whichever location you're looking for.
I find the link on the right of the screen under "More Information" that is labeled "Hourly Weather Forecast" to be useful at times.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snoqualmie vs Crystal

We've got at least 2 months left in ski season!

My understanding is that you're legally required to carry chains if you don't have snow tires on the mountain roads. And it's worth buying them and keeping them in the trunk just in case you ever need them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

My understanding is that you're legally required to carry chains if you don't have snow tires on the mountain roads. And it's worth buying them and keeping them in the trunk just in case you ever need them.

You're required to carry chains Nov - Apr even with snow tires. I've got a set in the car that I've had for 20 years, and 3 cars later, I'm pretty sure they don't fit, but I'm in compliance (inless they ask me to put them on in their presence.) even with snow tires and AWD. :doh: ogsmile

The usual thing 99.9 percent of the time is " chains required except for AWD ÷ snowtires" though.

Last edited:

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snoqualmie is a much easier drive as it is a 6 Lane interstate freeway all the way from the Seattle area. Crystal is a two-lane road through the trees and has about 1400 feet more vertical.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal today,
Another beautiful glorious sunny day. Only walk up lift lines. Some good packed powder to be had. Stayed on the non-sun affected aspects most of the day and the drive was mostly bare and dry with a little frost and ice in places, no snow tires needed. We skied the new run skiers right of Lucky Shot where the avalanche wiped out all the trees last year. Crystal had done a good job of clearing out the down timber and brush which makes for a nice legitimate black diamond, long fall line, alternative to Lucky Shot. The sunny aspects on the lower mountain actually had some spring snow.
It was a superb day

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier

That's not quite true. The WSDOT site says "Those traveling into higher elevations should carry chains and have approved traction tires whenever winter weather is possible, especially Nov. 1 through March 31." Should is not the same a required. When the signs says Chains required then AWD/4WD must carry chains but don't have to use them.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another week at Whistler ends.
Sunny days are always appreciated by me. The fresh snow earlier in the week wasn't too bad either.
Overall the last 2 weeks have been the best of the year for me.
I think it's spring break but it wasn't overly busy. Not sure how the weekends have been.
By now with so many other outdoor activities opening up even the weekend crowd starts to fade away.
Think I'll stay for the the weekend next week.

No snow on the Sea to Sky now and fairly rare that we get much at sea level after March but we also have posted signs saying traction tires being required until May.

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
I was at Snoqualmie today. Roads were bare and dry, and even the parking lot I parked in at Central was mostly black with patches of snow and ice. I have an AWD now but my Ford Focus could have handled it no problem. At Crystal, I'd just park in one of the parking lots on the left rather than Lot B, since you have to drive down (and then back up to get out) of Lot B. And like others have said, check out web cams for road conditions. My experience is that the private road to Crystal is generally better cleared than the public roads leading to it.

I skied the Silver Fir lift today for the first time and had a great time. The first couple times I was a little nervous as it was a little choppy (ungroomed) and a little crowded, but after a couple runs felt great. I've now skied all the blue runs at Snoqualmie West, Central and East. Still have never skied anything at Alpental. My goal this season was to be able to ski from the top of Crystal, but have been mostly going to Snoqualmie lately. I'm not sure if I'd feel brave enough to go to the top at Crystal at this point or not. Anyway, it was a very fun morning, and I'm glad I decided to play hooky from work. I enjoy chatting with lots of other friendly happy people on the lifts also enjoying the wonderful weather.

Snow conditions were mixed - kind of icy when I got there then becoming softer as the morning went on and a bit choppy in places. 20230317_114430.jpg

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
I was at Snoqualmie today. Roads were bare and dry, and even the parking lot I parked in at Central was mostly black with patches of snow and ice. I have an AWD now but my Ford Focus could have handled it no problem. At Crystal, I'd just park in one of the parking lots on the left rather than Lot B, since you have to drive down (and then back up to get out) of Lot B. And like others have said, check out web cams for road conditions. My experience is that the private road to Crystal is generally better cleared than the public roads leading to it.

I skied the Silver Fir lift today for the first time and had a great time. The first couple times I was a little nervous as it was a little choppy (ungroomed) and a little crowded, but after a couple runs felt great. I've now skied all the blue runs at Snoqualmie West, Central and East. Still have never skied anything at Alpental. My goal this season was to be able to ski from the top of Crystal, but have been mostly going to Snoqualmie lately. I'm not sure if I'd feel brave enough to go to the top at Crystal at this point or not. Anyway, it was a very fun morning, and I'm glad I decided to play hooky from work. I enjoy chatting with lots of other friendly happy people on the lifts also enjoying the wonderful weather.

Snow conditions were mixed - kind of icy when I got there then becoming softer as the morning went on and a bit choppy in places.
As a follow on to this, would appreciate some advice from those who ski Crystal. If I can handle the blues at Snoqualmie as well as Downhill at Crystal, am I ready to tackle Lucky Shot -> Little Shot or Green Valley? I'd rather not get up there and realize in I'm in over my head. Any thoughts on the easiest way down off Rainier Express? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As a follow on to this, would appreciate some advice from those who ski Crystal. If I can handle the blues at Snoqualmie as well as Downhill at Crystal, am I ready to tackle Lucky Shot -> Little Shot or Green Valley? I'd rather not get up there and realize in I'm in over my head. Any thoughts on the easiest way down off Rainier Express? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Lucky Shot/Little Shot (if needed) , no problem.

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am an upper intermediate skier as well. Have a Snoqualmie pass and ski all the blues and single black diamond runs at Central/East, only been once to Alpental, stay on the lower runs. I've skied a dozen times a Crystal. Lucky shot(easiest way down) and Green Valley should be doable.. The initial slope of the Green Valley run is pretty step, and can be almost a black if it's icy or mogul-filled on a powder day after the morning rush. I usually stick to Forest Queen runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.