• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ski days 48 and 49 of the season.

Last night I skied Mt Hood Meadows for their last night of skiing for this season. It started out with rain/snow mix, and transitioned to snow by 9 pm closing. Their 1/2 pipe and jumps are huge, but I managed to avoid them :) .

Today I was at Timberline Lodge skiing on new wet slow snow.

I witnessed a strange event when a lady took a fall and her foot actually came out of her boot! Her ski, with boot attached did a great speed run down the hill without her. I attempted to help her, but she seemed unable to do the simplest thing. She was skiing without gloves or goggles, with her remaining boot unbuckled. I called Patrol, he told me later that she was drunk --- At 10AM on a monday!

It's getting colder now and snowing hard, so tomorrow is looking promising.
0319232108_HDR.jpg 0319232053a_HDR.jpg

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
I am an upper intermediate skier as well. Have a Snoqualmie pass and ski all the blues and single black diamond runs at Central/East, only been once to Alpental, stay on the lower runs. I've skied a dozen times a Crystal. Lucky shot(easiest way down) and Green Valley should be doable.. The initial slope of the Green Valley run is pretty step, and can be almost a black if it's icy or mogul-filled on a powder day after the morning rush. I usually stick to Forest Queen runs.
Thanks for your reply! It sounds like we are at a similar level. I went back to Snoqualmie this weekend and skied Hogwild (black) which gave me some confidence. I have always stuck to Forest Queen at Crystal as well, but I would really like to increase my ski level to the point I could ski off the top. I'm interested in Green Valley mainly because last year late season they closed Forest Queen and at the very end pretty much only had Green Valley open.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens Today
Stevens really delivered today. We went up expecting the usual challenging visibility with firm groomers in the a.m. and limited terrain off the groomers, but hey, it was way better than that. It was mostly sunny with just the occasional cloud drifting by and some high filtered stuff. Things softened up nicely and there was a lot of off piste skiing. There was even about an inch or so of new snow. The whole mountain skied pretty well. The only place we did not go was 7th Heaven. On the backside the best skiing was the Orion area. On the front side a lot of areas skied pretty well. The groomers were good. The place was really empty, you missed out.

Lunch on the upper sundeck
IMG_1027.JPG

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for your reply! It sounds like we are at a similar level. I went back to Snoqualmie this weekend and skied Hogwild (black) which gave me some confidence. I have always stuck to Forest Queen at Crystal as well, but I would really like to increase my ski level to the point I could ski off the top. I'm interested in Green Valley mainly because last year late season they closed Forest Queen and at the very end pretty much only had Green Valley open.
Green Valley is definitely doable but it actually becomes a bit boring because there's really only one route unless you go into the trees. I'd like to try some of the black diamond runs off the other side of the Green Valley chair but don't want to venture there by myself(afraid I might run into a narrow chute ).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Green Valley is definitely doable but it actually becomes a bit boring because there's really only one route unless you go into the trees. I'd like to try some of the black diamond runs off the other side of the Green Valley chair but don't want to venture there by myself(afraid I might run into a narrow chute ).

There aren't any narrow chutes unless you hike to the top of snorting elk chutes. There are steeps, trees, and some steeper blue groomers. You can also exit right off the chair, take the cat track back to huckleberry and ski down to the GV chair for anorher view of the terrain, and if you're ok with cat tracks, take Kelly's Gap down to the bottom, or exit left and ski Lucky Shot down..... or ride the Gondola. The GV chair and terrain are great for building steeps skills that will help the transition to ski Northway, Chair 6, Bear Pits, etc... in 2014, the GV chair was about the only thing running in the entire region. Was it boring? For someone who grew up in the upper midwest, no, not at all. :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Spring skiing @ its finest. Till Noon anyway, then a front rolled in & snowing proceed.

Attachments

• 20230322_092313.jpg
    20230322_092313.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 11

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Stevens Today
Stevens really delivered today. We went up expecting the usual challenging visibility with firm groomers in the a.m. and limited terrain off the groomers, but hey, it was way better than that. It was mostly sunny with just the occasional cloud drifting by and some high filtered stuff. Things softened up nicely and there was a lot of off piste skiing. There was even about an inch or so of new snow. The whole mountain skied pretty well. The only place we did not go was 7th Heaven. On the backside the best skiing was the Orion area. On the front side a lot of areas skied pretty well. The groomers were good. The place was really empty, you missed out.

Lunch on the upper sundeck
View attachment 197631
I was at Stevens yesterday and today and it was much as you described yesterday. I found a great line down Kehr's that nobody else was skiing and I worked it a bit. I skied 7th Heaven once and it was OK, but not as good as other places. Today was your regular hard as concrete in the morning sunny spring day. I left early.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spring finally came to Baker. Started softening up by noon. Anything not directly in the sun (e.g. North Face) stayed firm all day. Honkers and Daytona were money. Made me feel like a better skier than I really am.

A few big slides just out of bounds. No new snow in a week and a half and all of these in tracked out areas. Seems safe, right?

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 12

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler/Blackcomb yesterday beautiful day but pretty firm snow. Refrozen in sections
The best snow was off Spankys or backside off the top of Showcase T-bar. Still good snow over there.

Spanky's access hasn't changed but it's been a few years since I last entered from the top of the Showcase T-bar.
The lower than usual snow year combined with the glacier receding made hike to the top from the t-bar seem a lot longer than it used to be.
Couldn't be me.

Over at Creekside the first brown patches appearing on the last couple of 100 feet.
17c in the valley at end of day.

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm thinking of heading to Stevens this weekend with my 8-year-old daughter. I haven't been there in over a decade. She is a green / easy-to-moderate blue skier, and it looks like there are very limited green runs at Stevens. Can anyone recommend some easier blue runs that might be fun to ski together? Thanks!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'm thinking of heading to Stevens this weekend with my 8-year-old daughter. I haven't been there in over a decade. She is a green / easy-to-moderate blue skier, and it looks like there are very limited green runs at Stevens. Can anyone recommend some easier blue runs that might be fun to ski together? Thanks!
Daisy chair is easiest, all green. Next comes Brooks with Brennan's Trail the easiest, but it has a couple of spots where it gets a bit steeper for a bit, but still pretty easy blues there. If Brooks works for you try Hogsback next.

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
Daisy chair is easiest, all green. Next comes Brooks with Brennan's Trail the easiest, but it has a couple of spots where it gets a bit steeper for a bit, but still pretty easy blues there. If Brooks works for you try Hogsback next.
That is super helpful - thanks!

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well spring was nice. Now back to winter.

Attachments

• 81D631D2-AD6F-4F65-9F69-4D2F201FFFB1.jpeg
    81D631D2-AD6F-4F65-9F69-4D2F201FFFB1.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 68274657-4745-4D96-BFDE-820CE59E03DA.jpeg
    68274657-4745-4D96-BFDE-820CE59E03DA.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
  • F9F810BD-6E72-4F54-AA0F-5B8A9DDA3930.jpeg
    F9F810BD-6E72-4F54-AA0F-5B8A9DDA3930.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 2

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
All of the blue runs at Stevens are pretty mild, especially Skyline and Brooks chair runs.

Even_Stevens

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wouldn't call Showcase a mild intermediate run. It's fairly steep for a blue, though it's well groomed.
I’m with you, and Showcase bumps up pretty quickly.

Gemini on the Mill Valley side isn’t super steep, but when it’s icy and bumpy it’s definitely a lot less casual than the blues off Brooks.

Even_Stevens

Getting on the lift
Skier
Friday 3/24 at Mount Baker was a wonderful day. We left Seattle at 645 am and arrived at 920 am with a stop for quick breakfast and fuel. On chair 7 by 10 am and enjoyed skiing off Chair 8 and finding untouched powder stashes pretty consistently.

This season has been one for me to really embrace skiing natural terrain (non groomed) and powder and Baker delivered. I even hit North Face off Chair 6 and Holiday off Chair 4 which were totally doable. Definitely feel like I leveled up in skiing yesterday. I’d really like to do more Baker days next season.
Sounds like there are going to be a couple more late season pow days as well this weekend

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Days 52 and 53 of the season.

Saturday at Mt Hood Skibowl was excellent with a huge dump of new cold powder snow to ski on. Scott did end up taking 25 minutes to get out of the Outback after his skis submarined and he tumbled chest deep into a tree well. That is some DEEP snow to struggle in.

I managed to be a snowboarder magnet: he hit me while I was stopped off the edge of the trail. He bent my ski pole, but did not do any bodily damage to me.

Sunday we went to Timberline Lodge where we experienced every conceivable type of weather through the day. Sunshine, calm, wind, strong snow, grapple, blowing snow..... The snow surface was excellent with the previous day's new powder now packed into a soft carpet of groomed goodness.

0325230932_HDR.jpg

0325231059d_HDR.jpg

0325231303c_HDR.jpg

0325231100f_HDR.jpg

0325230933_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink