• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow at Whistler/Blackcomb still winter on top - valley is starting to see onset of spring freeze/thaw.
Skied to Sunday this week - not much different than mid week now. Solo you might have a couple of chairs wait but mostly it's ski on.
Drove home after skiing yesterday. If your day tripping avoiding Vancouver's rush hour makes skiing on the weekend the better choice now.
Warm sunny days in forecast - break out the sunscreen

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
My daughter and I went to Stevens as planned on Sunday. We started with the Daisy lift, which was excruciatingly, constantly stopping and then resuming it's painfully slow pace. For this reason, I think Stevens is a really poor option for a true beginner. Thankfully, we were able to move over to Brooks after one trip up Daisy and lapped that the rest of the afternoon. It was the perfect level of difficulty for my daughter - thanks to Posaune for the recommendation. It was 30 degrees and the snow was very nice, with a light layer of powder on top. It's been ages since I'd been up to Stevens pass for any reason in winter, and I'd forgotten how incredibly beautiful it is up there. I hope we can make another trip or two before the season is over.

After her last couple lessons, I'd been told emphatically I should purchase my daughter poles, so this was her first day skiing with them. She held them tips up under her armpits as you can see and was not interested in suggestions for how she might hold them differently.
20230326_145300.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eventually her poles might become an old friend.

Yesterday was a sad day for me. Finally a tip broke on the set I've been using since 1972.

Luckily I bought a spare set in the 90's so if I can ever get the handles off and swaped out I plan to be good for the next 50 years

Attachments

• 20230327_100721.jpg
    20230327_100721.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 11

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
Eventually her poles might become an old friend.

Yesterday was a sad day for me. Finally a tip broke on the set I've been using since 1972.

Luckily I bought a spare set in the 90's so if I can ever get the handles off and swaped out I plan to be good for the next 50 years
Nice! That is good longevity. Unfortunately, I think she'll grow out of hers in a couple years. But they'll get passed on to her younger sister and then sold / given away on Craigslist, so they should have a good life.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to be part of a team of extraordinary people to help rescue a skier in cardiac arrest off of Gabl’s at Mt Baker back in February. He recovered and we had the chance to meet him at a fire hall in Bellingham last night. About 50 people took part in the rescue.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of days at White Pass
The first day was pretty good. The second day was stormy and the upper lift was closed because of the wind.

The road to the steeps with Mount Rainier partly behind the cloud
IMG_1033.JPG

Big, Broad, not to steep upper mountain bowl
IMG_1036.JPG

The top of the upper lift in the center
IMG_1035.JPG

A local in Packwood where I stayed. There were at least a couple of dozen of these guys wandering around in two bunches
IMG_1031.JPG

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Day 56 of the ski season, today (March 29th) at Timberline Lodge. Big huge wet flakes filled the air and then later in the day it warmed up, the sun came out, and some slush was skied on the lower elevations.

Here's video of the big snowflake storm: https://youtu.be/3F7V0BrRfeo

Spring break for grandsons is coming up. We plan on skiing Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues. (April 1-4) The forecast is for huge amounts of new snow!

===============================

Days 54,55 of the ski season. (March 27, 28)

Monday night at Skibowl was windy, cold, semi-firm snow nicely groomed. The "Historic Warming Hut" was a great place to warm up. The bar at Skibowl makes the best Mogul Masher drink -- it is a joy to watch the bartender light it on fire, sprinkle some spices into it which cause sparks and pyrotechnics, and it tastes great!

Tuesday was VERY WINDY at Timberline. How windy, you ask? They closed Stormin' Norman; Jeff Flood, and Bruno's lifts. Lots of new snow, but blowing sideways and drifting. Fun, but miserable lift rides.

Here's some video: https://youtu.be/XJu_zx_-d1A

Snow-prediction.JPG

0329231226.jpg

0328231034a_HDR.jpg

0329231235_HDR.jpg

0327231822_HDR.jpg

0327231942_HDR.jpg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
A couple of days at White Pass
The first day was pretty good. The second day was stormy and the upper left was closed because of the wind.

Bummed I missed you up there, I’ll be back today. I was on the IL for abit. Looks like winter is still hanging on in the Cascades, more snow coming!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last of the sunny days at Whistler , some fresh expected this weekend.
Snow in alpine is still very much winter but after the dry spell the bumps have been building. Some freeze thaw experienced on lower hill
Not very many on the hill now. Despite the lower than usual snow pack it looks like it's going to be a very decent April.

long poles in bumps suck.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stevens Pass was pretty nice with 7 inches of fresh snow and a couple more inches today for partial refills. 9EDB65BA-E000-4494-940C-1E3A045E0FE0.jpeg
First chairs were delayed for 15 minutes while patrol set off avy bombs which created massive backups off Brooks, Skyline and Hogsback. We skied Kehr’s (FKA Big Chief) which worked for getting around the backups which hung around for quite a while after the lifts started turning.

7C4EE5BF-A455-4379-A8DE-6A33BD2EF0CB.jpeg
Also the avalanche dogs were doing a meet and greet today. This is Zoey; the newest member of the Stevens avy dog team.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Stevens Pass was pretty nice with 7 inches of fresh snow and a couple more inches today for partial refills. View attachment 199159
First chairs were delayed for 15 minutes while patrol set off avy bombs which created massive backups off Brooks, Skyline and Hogsback. We skied Kehr’s (FKA Big Chief) which worked for getting around the backups which hung around for quite a while after the lifts started turning.

View attachment 199160
Also the avalanche dogs were doing a meet and greet today. This is Zoey; the newest member of the Stevens avy dog team.
^^^Wow, that is some crowd.
We got 9cm Friday overnight at Sun Peaks and they were sending up empty chairs on the lifts as this time of year out of town bookings are down, Kamloops skiers have green grass in the back yard and are not skiing...the place is a ghost town....still, the fresh pow was mostly scrapped off on the main runs by 11am.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
That’s crazy! Seattle skiers have green grass and flowers in their yards but are still coming up en masse. If I wasn’t booked really solid for April with work commitments I’d absolutely look at going to Sun Peaks.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The weather did suck for being anywhere near the grass and flowers yesterday, as I was in fact doing some yard work at times (when the weather allowed).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That’s crazy! Seattle skiers have green grass and flowers in their yards but are still coming up en masse. If I wasn’t booked really solid for April with work commitments I’d absolutely look at going to Sun Peaks.
Pretty much all of the ski resorts in the B.C. interior are into the final week of the season. So after April 10, skiing in western Canada is at Banff and Whistler, with Whistler soon (mid or late April??) down to only operating one mountain. It is all due to lack of skiers, not lack of snow.:nono:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler. Three boot high runs so far. Its like winter. Now on a coffee break while waiting for a couple of buddies.

Was a busy upload this morning seems the weekend crowds have not yet disappeared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.