• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's great to see places start to open. I'm envious of people in the Spokane area who got to enjoy both Lookout and 49* over the weekend!

It looks like a pattern change is in store for the beginning of next week. Hopefully ski areas start getting enough snow to meet their late Nov/early Dec opening dates.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Skied a lap today at Whitefish, they are stringing power lines for the new lift. One thing I noticed today was the new light towers added coming off the new lift down towards inspiration ridge. Not sure how many they installed, I assume it's because they plan on running this lift at 9 am?

IMG_6597.jpeg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just got word that 49* North will be open again Friday - Sunday again this weekend. Does not look like any new snow in the forecast before then.
Going back with my rock skis, I am a glutton.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
they plan on running this lift at 9 am?
I was surprised by that. They must think no one will skate to the backside for first tracks. It appears doable. (Is it?) Then of course they will be unhappy those lifts aren't open. Figure 10 minutes up the hill, 5-10 minutes (worst case) to the top of Black Bear, 5-10 minutes down depending on the route. Now wait.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I probably won't be up for for opening weekend at Crystal either due to the limited terrain. But I skinned up over the weekend (along with seemingly half the Seattle backcountry community), and I can say that there's plenty of snow to ski on a lot more terrain than they're opening. Possibly they don't have sufficient staffing yet, possibly they're not ready to turn the general public loose with less than perfect coverage, or they don't think it'll hold up to that amount of traffic. Regardless, hopefully we'll get more stuff open soon.

Reactions: RJS

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baker opening tomorrow. But something's not right. 35" on Pan Dome, 50 degrees F. And the reports states, "we're not trying to oversell anything". It must be bad. Because the Baker report ALWAYS oversells everything.

Me? I'm going to wait a few more storms.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Baker opening tomorrow. But something's not right. 35" on Pan Dome, 50 degrees F. And the reports states, "we're not trying to oversell anything". It must be bad. Because the Baker report ALWAYS oversells everything.

Me? I'm going to wait a few more storms.

There's a pretty kooky inversion going on at the moment. Baker generally needs about 100" to cover things.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Ok Idaho/Washington professionals--I have never skied the region. Considering flying Minneapolis direct to Spokane and driving to Schweitzer for 4 days between Christmas and New Year's Day (approximately). General questions--is 4 days too much at Schweitzer? Bringing my fam with teen daughters (racers). Perhaps try to split the trip with a day elsewhere? We have skied Bigsky, Whitefish, Steamboat, Telluride, etc.

Also--We are bound by education schedules, so please don't tell me to come some other time when crowds will be softer. I'm interested in this region since the crowds would hopefully be manageable even during the holiday week.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Ok Idaho/Washington professionals--I have never skied the region. Considering flying Minneapolis direct to Spokane and driving to Schweitzer for 4 days between Christmas and New Year's Day (approximately). General questions--is 4 days too much at Schweitzer? Bringing my fam with teen daughters (racers). Perhaps try to split the trip with a day elsewhere? We have skied Bigsky, Whitefish, Steamboat, Telluride, etc.

Also--We are bound by education schedules, so please don't tell me to come some other time when crowds will be softer. I'm interested in this region since the crowds would hopefully be manageable even during the holiday week.
All depends on you and your family. You should be fine for 4 days, there is a lot of mountain to explore. If your tribe gets bored easily doing a day somewhere else in the neighborhood works too. Depending on your flight schedule Mount Spokane if you get a partial day.

Silver if you get a full day. You will do the most backtrack driving here which by ski country standards is still not bad. Would leave Lookout Pass out of the mix for 1 day.

With all of them get up from the base as early as possible to beat the crowds. My hill is 49* North and it has the shortest lift lines, it is a sleeper. If you have a morning flight skiing 49 the last day and relocating to Spokane for the last night would work well.

Whatever you do make a point of seeing downtown Coeur d'Alene after dark. They do Christmas in a very big way. Walk through the hotel and see the lights. Dockside is a very nice, relaxed dinning spot if you choose to eat there.

Hope that you enjoy the area.

Reactions: ejj
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I've been to Schweitzer during the same time frame, including last year. Crowds are not a big problem. And even if you were to have a lift line, the amount of terrain for each lift is pretty big, the traffic is spread out and the runs can be wide. The one exception is the Great Divide at the top where you have to look out for out-of-control and overly enthusiastic people for the fist couple hundred of vertical, after that people are spreading out on runs going off on either side of that ridge. You have experienced skiers in your group, you will be fine.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Sun Peaks over Christmas with my SO, but I'm tempted to take another trip to Schweitzer between Xmas and New Years.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I am waiting for a warming event. The PNW shallow snowpack is faceted and is starting to loose structure due to a prolonged high pressure system. As expected, tree wells and alder patches are quite faceted.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm interested in this region since the crowds would hopefully be manageable even during the holiday week.
Schweitzer's a great pick and you've gotten great advice already. I think Schweitzer will keep you entertained for 4 days, although it's a little smaller than some of the other spots you mentioned. There will probably be even less crowding at the other local hills (apart from the gondola line to/from Silver), so if you end up deciding even Schweitzer is busier than you'd like, a day or two elsewhere might be worth it.

Also flying Spokane, Red Mountain would likely be a good alternate fit for your group. Fantastic terrain for several ski days, and Rossland is a fun town. But it lacks the high-speed lift fleet that Schweitzer boasts.

Reactions: ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Schweitzer's a great pick and you've gotten great advice already. I think Schweitzer will keep you entertained for 4 days, although it's a little smaller than some of the other spots you mentioned. There will probably be even less crowding at the other local hills (apart from the gondola line to/from Silver), so if you end up deciding even Schweitzer is busier than you'd like, a day or two elsewhere might be worth it.

Also flying Spokane, Red Mountain would likely be a good alternate fit for your group. Fantastic terrain for several ski days, and Rossland is a fun town. But it lacks the high-speed lift fleet that Schweitzer boasts.
I think we’ve decided on Schweitzer, but now a shorter trip over MLK might be in the works. Kinda concerned about coverage and how much the mountain will be open in December.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW went to Schweitzer for the first time last season. 4 days. One day free skiing, 3 days coaching. Had a blast and enjoyed the terrain a lot. Town's great...

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Baker is expected to get a foot to 18” overnight, and they’re planning on opening up White Salmon and running Chairs 7 and 8.

Crystal doesn’t look to get as much snow, but they’re planning to open Rainier and Forest Queen. Green Valley has been open a couple of days already.

Anyone going to either? I’m tempted to visit Baker, however I can need to visit my mom which I can do on the way home from Crystal, so that’s probably what I’ll do. Also, Baker takes more snow to cover rocks, boulders and trees, so I may wait a while.

Stevens opens next Friday 12/2, I’ll probably go. Looks like they will have really good coverage for opening. I hope they’re better prepared to staff the area this year.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker has been open for a week or so, but I'm not going up for my first day until Monday. It will still be pretty thin for Baker, they need about 50" before it really starts to fill in and allow folks to go off the groomed to any extent. They'll get possibly over a foot of new tonight, but I wouldn't trust it. All it will do is hide the snow snakes.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My brother and I are going to Crystal either Monday or Tuesday. We haven't quite decided yet, we're just waiting on the weather and to see if they will be grooming anything or not. So far the weather is looking sweet for next week. It looks like we're going to need to bundle up, it could be cold.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal today, lots of tree tops and brush to avoid, otherwise not bad. Snow is a little sticky, and some scraped ice in places on Lucky Shot. Forest Queen and Rainier nothing has been groomed, so lumpy and uneven. Same with Green Valley.

To my amazement they opened Chair 6. I’ll probably skip it today. I’d prefer a bit more coverage. In a week everything should be skiing really well, 780D653D-EED4-4CE3-874A-CCE3783BE420.jpeg 4FFCA80A-854D-4CE8-A6D4-D32063EA86B1.jpeg

Good first day of the season for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.